Main Forums > Living With HIV

Scared to lose my current benefits

<< < (2/2)

jon:
If You went to all the trouble to finish school, I say You should go for it.  You only live once.  Sometimes You just have to jump.  I agree with the Government job idea.  Check and see, you may be able to get Your Disability benefits back if work is too difficult for You. 

Lovinglife:
Thanks everyone for your great advice.  Sometimes I just need a little kick in the a**.

water duck:
Well u certainly found the right place for that kick; tell u what, we try to do it gently  :o
Some time, we need to change those 'comfortable old socks' ; and meet new challenges.
Your by-lines are quite inspiration, why not draw strength from them ??

Siang

Oscar:
Lovinglife,

Go to this link and read about the ticket to work program through Social Security. You may be interested in reading this. http://www.yourtickettowork.com/ Under the program you will have a 9 month trial work period. You will still draw your disability check and still have your Medicaid benefits.  Also go to this link @ the Social Security website http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10095.html this is info on working while disabled. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan

AlanBama:
Hi L.L.

I know exactly where you are coming from.   I decided in 2001 to 'give up' disability and return to work on a full-time basis.   My first day of work was Jan 2, 2001.  I was doing fine, even though they expected a lot.   There is no such thing as a 40 hour week for an accountant these days.   Then, my partner of 14 years left me in April.   I handled the stress of that, but was really dragging.   I decided to move back to Alabama, where I had family, and re-start my disability in October.   Even though I felt like a failure, I think I did the right thing.

I've been on SSD for 11 years now.   I miss the advantages that working a 'real job' gives you. (like a salary!  and benefits).   If you think you are able to work full-time, I say "go for it".   I found the people at Soc. Security to be very helpful.   They even continued my SSD check for 3 months into my full time job, so that was an added bonus.

Good luck to you.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version