POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 08:30:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649696
  • Total Topics: 49584
  • Online Today: 203
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 39 but feel 79  (Read 2306 times)

Offline vegaslocal39

39 but feel 79
« on: November 13, 2006, 11:52:22 AM »
I'm new to posting on these boards, but have been reading them for many years.  Thanks to all of you for your great advice and comraderie.  This is the only place I have been able to learn about the experiences of others who have HIV.

First a little background about me; I'm 39 years old.  I was diagnosed 11 years ago.  I began taking meds about 3 years ago(Sustiva/Truvada).  VL is undectable.  T-cell count is somewhere in the 600's.  No symptoms as of yet that I can pin on the HIV.

I have had a weight problem all my life and am now about 40 pounds overweight (my highest ever).  I'd like to get active, but most days I'm so tired and achy that it's all I can do to get through the day.  I have chronic pain in my feet, ankles, and back.  Yesterday I went for a 3-mile walk.  I was so sore from the walk that I could barely get around the rest of the day.  I have a hard time believing that this is all due solely to the extra pounds I carry.  It's a bit of a catch-22.  I can't get active because of the pain.  I have the pain because I am not active (or so I believe).

I always intend to discuss this with my doctor, but during the whopping 7 minutes of face time I usually get with him, I usually dont' get to it.  I'm pretty sure his answer will be to lose weight and see if I feel better.   Gee, I wish I had thought of that, but I'm too tired and achy to move!  (If you detect a little bitterness, it's because all HIV cases in Las Vegas are herded through one office with a group of doctors that specialize in it.  Even though I'm still working and have good insurance, I'm forced to wait to see the doctor along with handcuffed convicts and methadone addicts.  I don't get much personalized attention.)

I'm trying to determine how much of this (if any) is due to the HIV, and how much is due to being overwieght.  Do any of you have similar experiences with chronic joint pain/fatigue?  Any success stories or words of advice?

Offline Iggy

Re: 39 but feel 79
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 12:02:15 PM »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:48:51 PM by Iggy »

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 12:31:01 PM »
Hi 39,
I am sorry about the pain you are experiencing. When I go to the doctor, I always take one list with my meds/ allergies/ medication dosing schedule. Then I take a list of questions or concerns that I want to discuss with the doctor. I also take hand-outs that I want to talk about.

It is the only way I can remember to ask the questions I want to while at the doctor's office.

I keep a running list of questions on the computer, then print them out before the appointment.

I would talk to the doctor about the pain. It could be the meds, could be something not related to hiv.

I do agree with Iggy, start exercising slowly, and listen to your body. If you are having a good day, then work out a little harder; bad day either skip it, or take just a short walk or some relaxing yoga.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline vegaslocal39

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 12:39:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply Iggy.  The pain began about 1 year ago and it comes and goes.  Some days I'm fine- others, I can barely walk for the first couple of hours.

As far as the shock of a 1-hour walk...I just don't buy it.  I didn't mean to imply that I was not used to walking for three miles.  I often walk that far, but don't often do anything more strenuous than that.  I was trying to figure out why such a mild form of excercise could cause such crippling achiness and fatigue in a 39 year old person, albeit one who is overweight.  I'm trying to figure out if this achiness and fatigue is a bi-product of my weight, or a common occurence in people who have HIV/take meds, or a bit of both.

If this is not an issue for most folks in our situation, then discussing it with my doctor is meaningless, because there is nothing he can do, other than to suggest I lose weight, which is already a given. Otherwise it's possible I could be dealing with a symptom that is common in people with HIV and there may be something my doctor can do for me.

And as far as demanding more time from my doctor, I honestly feel so bad for the other patients, many of whom are poor and have such hard lives, that I can't force myself to demand more attention.  That's a whole other story.  It might make for a good post.

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 01:19:03 PM »
Hi,

Maybe you can discuss it with your GP then? Easier accessable?

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 01:34:49 PM »
   Hi Vegas,

I am not real experienced with the med thing because I am just about to start myself.   I do wonder if it's a side effect from the meds, but then again you have only been taking them for thre years so I am not so sure.

I myself am about 40 pounds under weight and I will tell you my decreased amount of activity has caused me to have muscle aches for days when I do something strenuous...  Like walking behind the self propelled lawn mower..lol.    I am severely out of shape and that has taken place in all of thr last two years.

I will say this, which you probably already know,  at 39 our bodies are more likely to go south with just the slightest decrease in activity.   I would follow Iggy's advice and slim that mileage down a bit.   As far as the doctor goes if that is your only option then you better demand more time because what else do you have?   Write your questions down before you go and present them vocally to him when you see him.

As you know from being here for a few years there are members that are a little more knowledgeable than myself.   Be patient it's still early in the day, someone will probably add some insight to this..

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline tsw923

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:44:40 PM »
Vegas,

I read your post and thought I might chime in.  I started exercising pretty religiously of Jan this year way before I was diagnosed.  It was slow going but I worked my way from 30 min/day 3 times a week to 45 min/day 4 days a week.  When I started sustive/truvada in September I did feel kind of tired and achy and not really able to sustain my workouts.  However that passed over a few weeks.  I noticed it again when I started a different kind of exercise (reformer pilates) and I am cutting back a bit until my body gets used to it.

As for walking, I would suggest that you start out slowly.  Walk for 1/2 hour 3 days a week.  Let your body get used to it.  Don't worry about speed or distance right now, just get moving.  If you aren't doing it regularly, a 3 mile walk will cause all the aches and pains you mentioned. 

And, if you haven't already, invest in a REALLY GOOD pair of walking shoes.  You can probably find a running store in your area and take in (or wear in) a pair of your old sneakers.  They can figure out things like pronation, etc. and guide you to a pair of sneakers that will help alleviate some of the pain.  You are most likely not going to get that kind of help at the Footlocker, you'll probably have to find a store that specializes in running/walking gear.  The sneakers won't necessarily be the sexy glitzy ones, but they will work.  I had similar problems with my feet and ankles (I am overweight too) but I went to a running shoe store an they helped me out a lot.  I actually now buy only the Brooks walking/motion control sneakers http://brooksrunning.com/ when I need a new pair.  I have a separate pair for the gym/circuit training. 

Happy walking!
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 12:06:45 AM »
I haven't been on meds for many years.  May i suggest that you talk to your GP like others have suggested.  I have my good days and bad and I'm 43.  Just part of getting older.  HIV affects everyone differently.  What an HIV- person may feel at our age may be different than what we feel.

Take the walking slowly.  The weight can affect how you feel too.  HIV itself can create occassional fatigue, I've had it througout the years. 18 yrs of being poz.  When you feel fatigued, set your alarm for an hour and take a nap if you can.  I take a nap at least 1 or more times a week.  Also to help with the weight, don't eat and take a nap or go to bed, wait at least an hour or more if you can.

I was under weight for many years, I would eat junk food and then go to bed or take a nap.  I gained weight rather quicklly.

Not sure if I was aable to help or not, wish you the best.  Keep us informed as to how you are doing.

One question, aren't there any private HIV doctors where you live?  Or is it a clinic only?

Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
http://www.poz.com/articles/172_752.shtml

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 02:18:38 AM »
Hey Vegaslocal39,

It is unfortunate that you are currently dealing with the associated aches and pains inside of your body. Iggy, has suggested the right step towards your development just as the others have mentioned that you need to take it slow. One very good point which was made by Tsw923, it was to invest in a good pair of walking shoes, especially the kind that absorbs the shock as you walk. It does make a big difference.

As far as the weight gain, there are some things that you can do in order to head towards that goal of getting it off of you. I am currently studying a piece on Diet, Excercise, and Nutrition. I will be more than happy to share some of the things mentioned in the material to assist you with your situation.

In the beginning, you will be sore until your muscles become more conditioned. Each day you will be able to walk even more. Take care of yourself.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 10:04:35 PM »
And as far as demanding more time from my doctor, I honestly feel so bad for the other patients, many of whom are poor and have such hard lives, that I can't force myself to demand more attention.  That's a whole other story.  It might make for a good post.

YOU'RE JUST AS WORTHY HONEY  :)

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 01:06:09 PM »
I'm poor and go to a clinic in my home town that specializes in HIV. i believe i receive great care. i demand it! If i need something Adap or Ryan White doesn't cover my Doctor gets it for me. the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:08:57 PM by antibody »
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.