POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24070
  • Latest: sami
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647637
  • Total Topics: 49356
  • Online Today: 232
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Rest In Peace  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Rest In Peace
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:33:53 PM »
Just thought I would put out there the untimely death of Ed Bradley (60 Minutes) and Jack Palance. I believe Ed Bradley died due to complications from Lukemia and Jack Palance died from natural causes, even though there is a question about his age. Family said he was 87 but birth certificate said 85. Just thought I would put that out there cause if we can give Britney and K-Fed some thread time, I felt these gentleman was due theirs as well.....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline RapidRod

Re: Rest In Peace
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:44:42 PM »
They won't find another guy like Ed Bradley. He was one of the best.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:52:58 PM »
I was honored to meet Mr. Bradley when I was a Journalism student at Texas A&M in 1989.  He kind of brushed me off, probably because I was near salivating on him in the elevator!  85??  I thought he was 65...still a goodlooking man though, whatever his age, and of course one of the best public speakers I've ever seen.

I'm so glad you started this thread, Akasha, as I have been thinking about him alot.  He gave an exclusive talk to the Black Journalists Association (I may be mistaken about the name) and Dr. Marilyn Foxworth invited some of her other students to attend as well.  I was honored to be selected.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:20:06 PM »
Ed Bradley was one of the best.

Jack Palance was one of the great bad guy actors. I remember when he did his one arm push ups at the Oscars. Impressed the hell out of me!

May they both rest in peace.
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Dray

• Gents Canine Society
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 12:24:45 AM »
Jack Palance was in his 80's not Ed Bradley.

Offline randym431

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 02:53:12 AM »
I've been trying to find out what type of leukemia Ed died from. Some types can be treated very sucessfully now with new wonder drugs, just like in hiv. So I wondered what type he had, if it was one treated by the new break through drugs, or not?

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 07:40:56 AM »
The 1999-00 season marks Co-Editor Ed Bradley's 19th on 60 Minutes. He joined the broadcast as co-editor during the 1981-82 season.

Bradley also reports for primetime specials. His report for 60 Minutes II, "Unsafe Haven" (April 1999), made headlines for exposing unsafe restraining methods and poorly trained workers inside the nation's largest chain of psychiatric hospitals. Another primetime report, "Town Under Siege" (December 1997), about a small town battling the oil industry over toxic waste, was hailed as one of the Ten Best Television Programs of 1997 by Time magazine.

Prior to joining 60 Minutes, Bradley had been a principal correspondent for CBS Reports (1978-81), after serving as CBS News White House correspondent (1976-78). He was also anchor of the CBS Sunday Night News (November 1976-May 1981) and of the CBS News magazine "Street Stories" (January 1992-August 1993).

Bradley was awarded the Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award grand prize and television first prize for "CBS Reports: In the Killing Fields of America" (January 1995), a three-hour documentary about violence in America, which he co-anchored and reported.

His 60 Minutes work has gained much recognition, including his most recent award, a George Foster Peabody last year for "Big Man, Big Voice" (November 1997), the uplifting story of a German singer who becomes successful despite his birth defects.

In 1995, he won his 11th Emmy Award for a 60 Minutes report on the cruel effects of nuclear testing in the town of Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan, a report that also won him an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award in 1994. That same year, he was honored with an Overseas Press Club Award for two 60 Minutes reports that took viewers inside sensitive military installations in Russia and the United States.

In 1985, he received an Emmy Award for "Schizophrenia," a 60 Minutes report on that misunderstood brain disorder. In 1983, two of Bradley's reports for 60 Minutes won Emmy Awards: "In the Belly of the Beast," an interview with Jack Henry Abbott, a convicted murderer and author, and "Lena," a profile of singer Lena Horne.

He received an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Silver Baton and a 1991 Emmy Award for his 60 Minutes report "Made in China," a look at Chinese forced-labor camps. He received another Emmy for the report "Caitlin's Story" (November 1992), an examination of the controversy between the parents of a deaf child and a deaf association.

In addition to "In the Killing Fields," his work for CBS Reports has included: "Enter the Jury Room" (April 1997), an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award winner that revealed the jury deliberation process for the first time in front of network cameras; "The Boat People" (January 1979), which won Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University, Emmy and Overseas Press Club Awards; "The Boston Goes to China" (April 1979), a report on the historic China visit by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, which won Emmy, George Foster Peabody and Ohio State Awards; "Blacks in America: With All Deliberate Speed?" (July 1979), which won Emmy and Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards; "Return of the CIA" (June 1980); "Miami: The Trial That Sparked the Riots" (August 1980); "The Saudis" (October 1980) and "Embassy" (January 1981).

Bradley's coverage of the plight of Cambodian refugees, broadcast on the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite and CBS News Sunday Morning, won a George Polk Award in journalism. He also received a duPont citation for a segment on the Cambodian situation broadcast on CBS News' Magazine series.

He covered the presidential campaign of Jimmy Carter during Campaign '76 and served as a floor correspondent for CBS News' coverage of the Democratic and Republican National Conventions from 1976 through 1996.

In addition, Bradley contributed reports to two significant CBS News specials, "48 Hours on Crack Street" (1986), the broadcast from which the CBS News magazine 48 Hours evolved, and "The Soviet Union--Seven Days in May" (1987).

Bradley joined CBS News as a stringer in its Paris bureau in September 1971. A year later, he was transferred to the Saigon bureau, where he remained until he was assigned to the CBS News Washington bureau in June 1974.

He was named a CBS News correspondent in April 1973 and, shortly thereafter, was wounded while on assignment in Cambodia. In March 1975, he volunteered to return to Indochina and covered the fall of Cambodia and Vietnam.

Prior to joining CBS News, Bradley was a reporter for WCBS Radio, the CBS owned station in New York (August 1967-July 1971). He had previously been a reporter for WDAS Radio in Philadelphia (1963-67).

Bradley was born June 22, 1941 in Philadelphia. He was graduated from Cheyney (Pa.) State College in 1964 with a B.S. in education. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Nov. 9, 2006 Ed Bradley, one of television's most prominent African-American journalists, died of complications from leukemia Thursday. He was 65 years old.

A longtime correspondent for CBS News' "60 Minutes," Bradley's probing questions and salt-and-pepper beard distinguished him for millions of TV viewers. He died this morning at Mount Sinai hospital in New York City.

Bradley was diagnosed with leukemia two years ago but was in remission. He apparently took a turn for the worse two weeks ago, contracting pneumonia and succumbing to the disease.

Colleagues and fans remembered him fondly. "He was the equal of all the celebrities he interviewed, which is why he got so much rich material out of them because they knew he understood them," said ABC's "Nightline" correspondent Vicki Mabrey, who worked with Bradley at CBS. "I used to call him Mr. Cool."

Bradley, who first joined "60 Minutes" in 1981, won 19 Emmy Awards, a Peabody Award, a Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award and the Paul White Award from the Radio and Television News Directors Association for his reports. The Philadelphia native started out as a DJ, making $1.50 an hour spinning Miles Davis and Billie Holiday records.

Bradley's last "60 Minutes" story interviews with suspects and witnesses in the Duke rape case made headlines. During his long career, Bradley interviewed a panoply of personalities Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jackson. Bradley got the only TV interview that Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber, granted to television.

Some of Bradley's other memorable reports included China's forced labor camps, the devastating effects of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster on a town in Kazakhstan, the impact of schizophrenia, and an unprecedented look at how juries deliberate.

While reporting for CBS in Vietnam, Bradley was once injured in a mortar attack, narrowly escaping death. "The guy who was standing 2 feet from where I had been standing was killed," he told Communicator magazine. "I got some shrapnel in my back, and it blew a hole through my arm. It just sliced through my arm, so I was lucky. I was lucky."

Although one of the first African-American reporters on national TV, Bradley refused to be pigeonholed by his race and doesn't remember letting racism intimidate him. "I probably was too naive to be afraid [when I started out]; that's because there was no one really ahead of me as a trailblazer," Bradley told USA Weekend. "I mean, I had nuns in school who always said to me, from the fourth grade on, 'You can be whatever you want to be.' I guess I believed them."

Bradley was known for his love of jazz, which first touched his heart when he heard "Teach Me Tonight" from Errol Garner's "Concert by the Sea." He frequently attended the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, and often sat in with the musicians. Bradley was lured back into DJ work when he recently hosted the "Jazz at Lincoln Center" radio show.

Accordingly, Bradley has said that his most memorable interview was with jazz legend Lena Horne. The intimate portrait, in which he alternated Horne's performances with his questions, became a "textbook example of what a great television interview can be," wrote TV Guide. "Lena" earned Bradley his first Emmy.

A lifelong sports fan, Bradley was a fixture at New York Knicks basketball games and the U.S. Open tennis tournament.

Bradley was married to the artist Patricia Blanchett and had homes in Woody Creek, Colo., and New York City
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 8/25/14,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 12:01:38 AM »
I was honored to meet Mr. Bradley when I was a Journalism student at Texas A&M in 1989.  He kind of brushed me off, probably because I was near salivating on him in the elevator!  85??  I thought he was 65...still a goodlooking man though, whatever his age, and of course one of the best public speakers I've ever seen.

I'm so glad you started this thread, Akasha, as I have been thinking about him alot.  He gave an exclusive talk to the Black Journalists Association (I may be mistaken about the name) and Dr. Marilyn Foxworth invited some of her other students to attend as well.  I was honored to be selected.

No hun, Jack Palance was 87, not Ed Bradley. They said his favorite interview was with Lina Horne.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 05:19:40 AM »
I am deeply saddend by Ed's passing. He was such a kind, caring soul. I will miss him very much.
Rest in peace indeed.

Thanks you Queen for this thread. 
Positive since 1985

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 07:49:07 PM »
Queen,
   Thank you so much for starting this thread. You are so right about him deserving some space here. As far as worthwhile achievements, and respect go, Ed has generated far more than the two vapid, self centered morons that are Britney and K-Fed. I don't really watch much TV, it's not really my bag in life, but once in awhile, I do, and 60 Minutes was one of the few things I watched. And mostly I watched because of Ed Bradley. He had a style that I really liked, and thought that his wearing an earring was great, it showed that he was just a normal guy, with maybe just a tiny bit of rebellion in him. He deserves so much more press than most "celebrities" out there, and I hope he gets it. Thanks again for starting this..
   Capt.Carl.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline cph9680

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 08:22:03 PM »
His interview a year or two ago with Bob Dylan was great!  He seemed like he had a very down-to-earth approach to things!

Corey

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 08:52:44 PM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:52:05 PM by Iggy »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 09:00:47 PM »
Ed Bradley was a great journalist.

R.I.P.  :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline randym431

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 05:33:26 AM »
Ed had chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Not one of the treated types using the new wonder drugs.
My partner has cml  (Chronic myelogenous leukemia ) and takes Gleevec. a fairly new wonder drug they call "a magic bullet".
It stops whats called the "Philadelphia chromosome" from causing or progressing CLM. Almost just like the meds stop the hiv virus from progressing in hiv people. CML is one of the few leukemia's that huge treatment advances has been possible. But Ed did not have this type.

Btw, you think hiv meds are costly. Gleevec costs $3500 for 30 pills (a months supply). Thank goodness for his health insurance. He pays just $20 for a months supply. And Gleevec isnt even covered on most medicar-D plans I looked at. And the one or two plans that did cover it only paid like 50% of the costs. Hope the democrats get us all some better national health coverage! 

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 03:04:40 PM »
Just thought I would put that out there cause if we can give Britney and K-Fed some thread time, I felt these gentleman was due theirs as well.....

Great point...  now where's that Britney thread?

RIP, Mr. Bradley.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.