Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Tested Positive 3 weeks ago here in Atlanta

(1/3) > >>

optimuseyes:
My name is Tony and I am 31 y/o living in Atlanta.  I tested positive 3 weeks ago after having a routine (every 6-8 months) test.  Needless to say, I was very surprised and found myself initally distraught.  The logical side of myself quickly took hold and I went immediatetly into survival and information gathering mode.  I found an IM doctor that is considered the best among professional practitioners here in town.  I got my first set of numbers last week and the news was good...718CD4/5,000VL.  I am fortunate to have lived a healthy and active life before my diagnosis and will continue to do the same. 

I have been seeing a therapist for a couple years for issues involving isolation and abandoment. My therapist has been a blessing and having him to talk to openly and honestly about what I am feeling and fearing has been pivotal in keeping my head level and my soul calm. 

I have some concerns involving outreach in this area and my ability to find a peer group that I believe will help me better understand what is to come and what I can do today to live a more meaningful life. So, I am again blessed to have found this forum.  I've been reading through some of the post for the past couple of days and am grateful for the volume of information provide to those of us who are new to this or those who have fought it and survived for years.  I believe the connection between these 2 groups helps us all feel less isolated and more a part of a greater fight.

I do have a fews questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1. Do any of you take Olive Leaf Extract and if so, have you experienced any significant changes in overall health?

2. Are there any other members from Atlanta?  What groups or organizations have you found support you?

3. How have any of you found dating after being diagnosed poz?  Dating was hard enough for me before and I fear that I may never have the courage to approach a guy again. (btw...2 days after I told the  news to the guy I had been dating for 2 months, he decided things were too serious and broke things off) *remember those abandoment issues I mentioned before? :)

Thanks again to you all for your courage in sharing your experiences, your fears, your stuggles and especially your words of encouragement and success.  They are invaluble to those of us just now learning to live with HIV.

Tony

Eldon:
Hello Tony,

It is unfortunate that you have tested positive for HIV. However, it is good that you are now aware of this so that you can take the proper action with your health. There are several organizations in the Metro Atlanta Area. You can go to:www.aidsatlanta.org and they have several links there on their site.

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME here at the forums. Here you will find the encouragement, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

We have a great group of Real people who will listen as well as answer you. We are here to encourage one another and to learn from each other.

Talking to other people helps us see that we are not the only ones with problems. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time as it is highly therapeutic.

In the interim, you may want to start taking a multi-vitamin, Omega 3 and eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy and avoid processed foods, saturated and trans fats. This will also help you maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Andy Velez:
Hi Tony,

Welcome! We're sorry you've tested positive, but now that's a fact in your life, we're glad you found your way to this site.

The first thing I would urge is that you take a good deep breath and give yourself time to start getting accustomed to having HIV in your life. You're not going to suddenly slip through some black hole.  You're under a doctor's care and it's someone you have confidence in. That's great because having a doctor with whom you can develop a good working partnership is one of the best ways to insure that you will stay healthy.

If you haven't already done so, please read the lessons on this site about testing poz, when to start meds and disclosure issues for some useful information.

Gradually you'll be getting answers to some of the questions you've asked. For instance the issue of dating is one that has come up many times and if you comb through the threads you will find some of the conversations that have gone on about it.

You're always welcome to ask questions here and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Welcome,

Medazzaman:
Hey there.

Atlanta here as well.  Also tested poz for first time 3 weeks ago (Oct 26).

Lakis:
Do yo use icq?skype/tlen?gg?msn?????

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version