HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Yet Another Oral Thread

(1/2) > >>

scaredinaz:
I do apologize in advance for the creation of another oral sex related thread...there just seems to be sooo much conflicting information that I'd go crazy without posting.

Scenario:
1+ year ago I provided fellatio for a male of unknown HIV status and under the stupid assumption that everything was safe, never did any followup testing (this was my one and only encounter)
Pretty good oral hygiene
Since that episode I've gotten married and now have a kid; as a part of the pregnancy process, the mother is tested, and she is negative for all STDs [that testing was more than 6+ weeks after my own encounter and about 8 weeks into the pregnancy]

For whatever reason, I thought about that episode only fairly recently and decided to get tested via a blood draw that is sent to a lab. Either today or tomorrow I'm supposed to be receiving the results via mail and I couldn't be more scared. I've read the welcome posting, as well as several oral sex threads here over the past day or so, and it really seems as though the moderators are pretty certain that such activity is such a low risk that it is not warranting testing outside of one's annual health checkup. Am I correct in assuming so? Additionally, am I correct in assuming that since I haven't passed anything on to my wife and child, that the likelihood of having HIV is infinitesimally small?

I really do appreciate the service you provide here; I've learned so much...

scaredinaz

Ann:
scared,

You can never, ever make assumptions about person A's hiv status going by person B's test result. I just want to make that clear.

However, it's highly unlikely you would have become infected from giving one blowjob. I'm fully expecting you to receive a negative result - and so should you. However, getting tested is always a good thing, because your hiv status is never anything to guess about or assume.

Ann

scaredinaz:
Thank you Ann; it is reassuring to read that. Even though I was pretty sure that you'd say "I'm fully expecting you to receive a negative result - and so should you", just seeing that for one's specific situation is anxiety-reducing and mentally helpful, as I'm sure a lot posters know.

Anyhow, when this is all said and done, I want to donate money to help support HIV/AIDS research; do you have a favorite charity?

scaredinaz

Ann:
scared,

Most any hiv/aids organisations are crying out for funding. Look in your local phone book or contact your local hospital to find an ASO (Aids Service Organisation) near you. Think global, act local.

Ann

scaredinaz:
Ann,

Just a followup to mention that the test came back non-reactive, as expected. Thank you again for the assistance; I found an AIDS group near one of the local universities here that could use donations to help spread awareness, so I'll be going that route to give back.

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version