HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Donating blood

(1/2) > >>

Anon:
I heard that if you donate blood it is tested for various diseases including HIV and that they notifiy you if you tested positive for any of the diseases.  Is this a way to know one's HIV status if they don't feel that they need any counseling?

RapidRod:
NO this is not a way to be tested. You NEVER use a blood bank for your personal testing. If you would read the blood banks website it will tell you also. When you fill out a questionair it will also tell you.

Anon:
Alright, I didn't think so, but i was just making sure.

Coffeechick88:

--- Quote from: Anon on November 08, 2006, 05:20:40 PM ---I heard that if you donate blood it is tested for various diseases including HIV and that they notifiy you if you tested positive for any of the diseases.  Is this a way to know one's HIV status if they don't feel that they need any counseling?

--- End quote ---
Yes they test for various diseases, but to purposely donate blood for that reason is against the law.  Not only that, but it is an unconscionable action and I do not know how people who do that can live with themselves.  The test they use will pick up a lot of false positives in order to reduce the risk of a true positive going through.  They send you a letter and tell you to be tested with the standard serology tests to see if you really are positive. Though even if you are a false positive you will be deferred indefinitely from giving blood.  These tests are not perfect, though.  There is always the possibility for error.

Anon:
Okay, thanks for letting me know.  I'll be sure to pass it on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version