Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Just diagnosed and sat down with Health Dept

(1/3) > >>

ibi4011:
It's been a week since I found out through bloodwork that I'm HIV positive, but I was just wondering about some things I heard after meeting with the Health Dept here.  The "counselor" informed me that not everyone has to undergo treatment, which seemed opposite of the stories I've heard from others who have been diagnosed.  Understandably, it's an option to refuse treatment but I've heard from most that they have to take a pill or a couple a day to manage it and insure that it doesn't continue to spread.  Am I right in understanding this?

drewm:

--- Quote from: ibi4011 on August 22, 2014, 01:20:23 PM ---It's been a week since I found out through bloodwork that I'm HIV positive, but I was just wondering about some things I heard after meeting with the Health Dept here.  The "counselor" informed me that not everyone has to undergo treatment, which seemed opposite of the stories I've heard from others who have been diagnosed.  Understandably, it's an option to refuse treatment but I've heard from most that they have to take a pill or a couple a day to manage it and insure that it doesn't continue to spread.  Am I right in understanding this?

--- End quote ---

Technically, the counselor is correct in that not everyone diagnosed as HIV positive has to begin treatment immediately, however, that depends on lab results in consultation with a physician. I would not rely on a public health counselor for medical advice, per se. See a doctor.

ibi4011:
Thanks...I just thought it was a bit of a stretch to say most don't receive treatment.  I'm supposed to meet with an ID next week and get my first count and go from there, but just wanted to make sure I knew what to kind of expect in terms of next steps.

Jeff G:
Welcome to the forum . The truth is most will need treatment and its rare that person can go without life saving meds in the long run . This does not mean you need meds right now today but deciding what is right and if its time is something your doctor will help guide you with . You also have us as a source of information and support . Please find a doctor that deals with HIV and you will be OK . Best wishes .

mecch:
"The "counselor" informed me that not everyone has to undergo treatment"

"Thanks...I just thought it was a bit of a stretch to say most don't receive treatment."

Those aren't even the same thing. 

It sounds to me like there was misunderstanding and miscommunications going on.

Yes not everyone has to undergo treatment at diagnosis.  It's eventually...

"most don't receive treatment"  - if that person really said exactly that, he/she is not qualified for the job.  Ignore such idiocy.

The only people who don't need treatment are LTNP - long-term non-progressors - who might go a few decades. Even slow progressors need it in 10 or 15 years.

Some docs and researchers say its justifiable to just start treatment soon after someone is diagnosed,  and has the mindset and resources to follow the treatment well.  No matter the numbers.

You must have misunderstood something, or that counsellor is an idiot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version