POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 11:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647615
  • Total Topics: 49352
  • Online Today: 232
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Harmony has returned. :)  (Read 501 times)

Offline wolfter

Harmony has returned. :)
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
I'm a huge promoter of animal rescue and adoption and was quite upset when my nephew decided to purchase (and finance) a designer Teacup Yorkie while still in college.  We got to spend quite a bit of time with her and I grew to adore this little gal.  I was heartbroken when Joshie decided to move to California and take her out there.

Then I became angry when I discovered he was boarding her quite often because of his job as a flight attendant.  While under care of someone else, she ended up with a broken leg.  The surgery wasn't successful and he wasn't sure how to proceed.  He wouldn't be able to properly tend to her after another surgery.

The decision was made to fly her to Chicago and my sister drove the round trip to pick her up.  2 different consultations and both said it was best to remove her rear leg.  Even with a $5,000 + surgery, they didn't think she'd ever have full use of it and it could potentially be more bothersome.

She had the procedure done Tuesday and my sister tended to her for a couple of days.  She is super allergic and had hives over her entire chest in short order.  Of course, she asked me to assist which I gladly did.  I've had her for 2 days now am in Heaven with another doggie.

She is astonishing me with how great she is doing.  She runs and bops around the yard like nothing is missing.  Getting ready to take her for a short walk soon.  Oh, and my sister hasn't told her son yet, but Harmony is not leaving.  She pretty much said that she wants Harmony to remain with me if it's OK with me.  I played a little coy and said we'll see.  Yeah, we'll see.   ;)

wolfie

I'll post photos after while of the new and improved 3 legged dog.  :)
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Harmony has returned. :)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
Its good to hear sad news with a happy ending, Wolfie! Post pix soon!!

The last female I had (Gabby, the older sister of Joxie, Zeus and Aries) came to my home after an accident at her then-home that left her with a damaged leg. Eventually I had to have the Doctor remove the leg. (rt front) While like your story, that sounds sad, the eventual reality was awesome. You would have never known Gabby only had 3 legs! She ran faster and played harder than her brothers ever did! Of the 10 cockers I've had from this line, Gabby was quite easily the happiest of the lot!

I'm glad you have a doggie again. You know how much faith and stock in our pets to help us - help us stay happy and stay alive.

leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
Took her for a short walk.  Not sure how much to do so soon.  She'll be the perfect "pick-up" dog when she's able to walk the lake with me.  Lily was so beautiful and well behaved that I got to meat quite a few gentlemen while walking with her.

I can't believe it's been a year since she passed away.  I even called Harmony Miss Lily a couple of time so far.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Online mitch777

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:11:07 PM »
Congrats Greg! (that is if you are going to allow her to stay, lol.) Now you have 4 good legs between the two of you. Sounds like a match that was just meant to be.  :)
32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:04:10 AM »
Congrats Greg! (that is if you are going to allow her to stay, lol.) Now you have 4 good legs between the two of you. Sounds like a match that was just meant to be.  :)

That's actually funny because my favorite clerk made a similar comment as she saw us hobbling up to the corner market. 

This little 5lb critter is making me nervous as hell too.  I can see how she easily gets hurt now.  She is so clingy and I sometimes forget that.  Not had her long enough to have it scribed into my brain.  She is constantly under foot and doesn't allow me more than a foot away.  I even have to watch when I move my office chair as she curls right up next to it.

She has an awful habit that I'll definitely be correcting.  Anytime a door opens, she immediately rushes it.  My brother stopped by and as soon as he rang the bell, she made a beeline and I had to yell for him to hold up.  Her first injury was caused by a door being shut on her.

Unfortunately, Joshie didn't have much experience in dog training beyond the basics.  She's house broken and doesn't chew on things but she still has that center of attention mindset.  We can't have 2 people like that in the same house.  ;)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
Greg, that story about you keeping her doesn't surprise me.  I think you two will be a perfect match.  I'm so happy you have another doggy to love and be a companion for.

One of my best friends had a dog (who has passed) that had three legs and she got around great also.  Dogs acclimate pretty quickly to the loss of an extremity.  She's fortunate to have you.  Have fun!!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:02:38 AM »
A sad and difficult turn of events.  My beloved sister whom I've always contended needed some professional help once again attempted to assert her dominance that was an epic fail. 

She never once called to check on Harmony yet I got a frantic call yesterday at 4:45 pm.  She was sitting in my drive way wondering why I wasn't home.  Supposedly, I already knew that was the hour she was returning.  I absolutely remember explaining to her that Sundays are my staff meeting days.  I have back to back hourly meetings that typically don't end until after the hour she called.

I was so upset that I immediately came home.  Without as much as a thanks or explanation, she swiped up the dogie and quickly gathered her belongings.  I felt such sympathy for my sis as I watched this dog in distress sitting in the truck.  A normal person would load everything else first and not subject an animal to this mental abuse.

Not sure what precipitated this but I refused to participate in the chaos.  Even as she made her little incomprehensible and undecipherable barbs, I refused to participate.  I'm left to believe that this was an attempt to try and grate my nerves.

I made several commitments to myself as she pulled away.  As much as I love and adore this animal, I can't allow emotional blackmail any longer.  And it's even sadder as I would have given in if I even knew WTF was expected.

I'll give myself a few days to "simmer" down then proceed to revisiting all the nearby agencies that serve unwanted animals.  Pretty sure I have what is needed to give total love and adoration.

This situation also gave me a tad more confirmation.  After 40+ years on this earth, I've totally accepted that I'm a wee bit crazy but I'm surrounded by total insanity.  :) 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:34:33 AM »
That's impressive that you didn't react to any of that behavior your sister exhibited.  It would be very difficult for me to not open my mouth and say something I would most likely later regret.

I'm so sorry she took the poor dog away, but I'm sure you will find another deserving friend.  I will be awaiting updates on your progress, and pics when you find "the" one!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
My daughter is sixteen and debating between the Siberian Husky or an adopted dog from the shelter. We're getting a dog next summer when we move. Either way she [/img][/img]is great with animals.
She used to dress my cat Sammy up and put him in the doll carriage to stroll him through our house. I once decided to take him out of the carriage and remove the clothes. Sammy wanted to stay in the carriage. When my daughter fell asleep at night he crawled into her toddler bed with her. I have never known a cat to want so many hugs. The one time I successfully took Sammy out of the carriage he crawled back in.
My daughter even used her allowance to buy a bathing suit in the children's section for Sammy. She cut a hole for his tail and he just let her put it on him.
My daughter wants become a funeral director/embalmer or go into animal rescue.
I cannot find a photo of Sammy. These are our dogs. They are pure breeds that my husband's friend brought to us as puppies. He told my husband who did not want a dog that he would have to get rid of them by dropping them in the Nevada desert. My husband decided to keep both of them.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:21:17 PM by idee »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.