POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:53:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643046
  • Total Topics: 48929
  • Online Today: 213
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Start Medication - Question  (Read 403 times)

Offline david7973

Start Medication - Question
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »
hello,

I have to start this week medication.
My CD4 is around 250th
I get truvada, darunavir, Norvir.
Are these drugs a good choice?  ???

Thank you very much for Answer

David

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
Re: Start Medication - Question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »
The choice of meds is best determined by your doctor.

Your doc takes into account the particular strain of HIV you have, your personal allergies and what's the best therapy at the moment.

You've got a good combo there. Keep working with your doc. Let them know if you have any concerns or issues.

Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline Reggie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »
Your meds are generally well tolerated , good luck with your treatment, sure you will do well.

My Doctors mentioned changing one of the meds I'm taking efavirenz to the darunavir you will be on due to some CNS side effects I'm having so will be interested to hear how your doing.

Remember the first few days will be when have the most effects if any as your body adapts, again this is an effective and well tolerated combo so don't worry too much.

Cheers

Reggie

Offline david7973

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 04:25:14 PM »
Hi,

in some Topics i read this :
 Long term toxicities, side effets, resistance, and especially comorbidities (high risks of cancer, etc) are the bad aspects of current therapy. That's why an HIV Cure is such a priority.
Is really the Risk of new Medication so hi?
I will start now with truvada, darunavir, Norvir.

Maybe is better not so much reading ? :) :(

Offline david7973

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 04:25:58 PM »
Thank you very much...

i hope that i will not feel much side effects....

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
Hi David and welcome to the forum . I merged your new thread on the same subject into one . If you keep all of your questions and concerns about starting meds in one thread it will be easy to follow and you can see all your reply's in one place . 

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »
Maybe is better not so much reading ? :) :(
reading is good; but you have to read the right things.  ;)

Start by googling the name of each med and the words "package insert" (like "norvir package insert"). You'll see long term side effects are rare (<2%) and many are not "toxic". You'll see that side effects are often short term, mild, and fairly rare (<10%). Meds today are NOT the meds from 2000. They are more effective with fewer side effects affecting fewer people. It sounds like you've been reading too much OLD information. The meds of 2015 are not the meds of the 90s, and you really shouldn't be troubled about taking them.

resistance is something that mostly happens when someone is not adherent to meds. if you take your meds sporadically (off and on), the level of med in your system can drop so low that HIV can adapt (mutate, learn resistance) to your meds. However, as long as you keep taking your meds properly, resistance is a non-issue that shouldn't even trouble you.

The cure is a priority so that the spread of HIV is stopped and that those already infected will no longer have to take daily meds and be able to live a healthy life without HIV. While the cure will certainly stop positive people from having to deal with med side effects, that is not a priority for finding the cure. Of course, we all hope for the cure; but the meds have come a long ways and often help pozzies live a "normal" life with a "normal" lifespan.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.