POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 11:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650186
  • Total Topics: 49633
  • Online Today: 198
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Exercise routines that you can "trick" yourself into doing  (Read 791 times)

Offline Ptrk3

Exercise routines that you can "trick" yourself into doing
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »
Hey, everyone.

I need to get motivated to exercise more, which I hate to do when it is "undisguised" (going to a gym, using weights, etc.).  Other than my HIV infection, I'm in pretty decent shape ("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"), but I do seem to have fatigue from time to time during the day.

I do my own errands and stuff and park far from the grocery store entrance, walk stairs instead of escalators, etc.  I do pay attention to what I eat and take a multivitamin daily, a baby aspirin, a pro biotic tablet, and a fish oil gel capsule.  But I'm a bit lazy and often quite content to sit on the couch, read, scan the internet, watch tv.

What things do some of you all do to exercise without really knowing that you are exercising? 

Also, for those of you who do exercise, does it make you psychologically feel better and lessen any fatigue you may feel from the effects of HIV infection (or just plain old aging)?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Exercise routines that you can "trick" yourself into doing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »
I do gardening and yard work and enjoy it . I also have a work shop out back and spend a good deal of time out there working on whatever I find to get into . I just dug 6 post holes and set the fence post in concrete ... all before noon . I do light workouts but I find staying active just as beneficial .

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
Excellent!  Good on you, Jeff G., and practical, too.  I'm sure it gives you a sense of accomplishment to get fence post done (DIY and money saving).  Thanks for the response. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
If you take a pilates class or any class about the so called "core" you can learn breathing exercises and ways to work the muscles that you do sitting, standing, or lying in one place.  But you do have to concentrate to do them. But you can do them pretty much anywhere, anytime.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:40 PM »
I do my breathing exercises with a pall mall hanging out of my mouth, that way I'm never bothered when I visit smoggy city's . 

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »
i've got a doorway, i don't walk through it without doing something. got a rock climbing training board mounted above it. resistance bands mounted about waist high, loops on the ends i can grab or hook to my feet and do reps

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »
i've got a doorway, i don't walk through it without doing something. got a rock climbing training board mounted above it. resistance bands mounted about waist high, loops on the ends i can grab or hook to my feet and do reps

I do that too, I've got a pullup bar mounted in my bedroom doorway. I make it a point to not pass under it without doing at least 1 pullup.

But I do alot of "undisquised" stuff. For those of you that hate to work out I suggest a bike, because it's fun and its exercise. I mountainbike several times a week and I get a great workout on my legs and abdomen, and I dont go all balls to the wall either.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
from my aidsy years (1987-2007) until now, gardening and yard work are #1 on my list. One of the perks to moving back home to SC was that I got a 2 acre piece of property to take care of.

I used to bike; but this area I'm in now is just too rural. Riding a bike on the roads here is more likely to end up in your death.

I'm in about month 10 of a planet fitness plan and nearing the end of a season pass to Carowinds amusement park. The PF treadmill has been essential to improving my walk through the park from coaster to coaster. Right now I'm hard pressed to say which purchase has brought me the most fun and best health. It's a toss-up between the hour workout 3 times a week to the 2 times a week power walking the park and doing the slides and pools at the water park.

I despise, hate and don't do the elliptical machine; however I wished I had been on it some when I've walked up the towers for some of those tall water slides. When there isn't a backed-up line waiting, climbing up 6 stories without pausing is exhausting. I almost had to ask that kid (aka ride attendant) if I could catch my breath first before taking the plunge. LOL

Also, for those of you who do exercise, does it make you psychologically feel better and lessen any fatigue you may feel from the effects of HIV infection (or just plain old aging)?
lessen the fatigue? not so much. increase your stamina? totally!

psychologically feel better? Indubitably!!
instead of cure research  ;) :) do some depression research. Getting up, getting out, and getting on with your life is one of the best ways to break out of depression (not clinical depression per se but temporary, "normal" depression). Exercise release endorphins and makes you happy. Exercise through activity or physical training helps to divert your mind from dwelling on the sad or negative.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the many good ideas, especially those about biking, hiking, and gardening/landscaping.  Those are the types of things that I find attractive, since the exercise becomes a "by product." 

I also appreciate the info about endorphins, stamina, and fighting depression and getting my mind off of things. Plus, if I build up my stamina, I could spend more of my waking hours doing cure research (kidding!).   

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 12:00:27 AM »
I've grown weak over the past 5-6 months.  Not from lack of exercise but the HIV it-self.  Even with my situation.  When I get the energy to move around and work I fight it out with the weeds on my lawn.  I usually punch them first and then curse like a crazy guy because I am constantly silly dizzy and the weeds do nothing but beat me up and laugh at all my weed kill I spray on them.  I think my grass has died, not the weeds.  I'm going to sue for false advertising, Ortho.  I've feared biking because my balance is off so I got my bike fixed and am ready to hit the beach area bike paths.  I fear the winter because I love doing things outside and it keeps me in tone.  I use to work a job where coming home and hearing "get out-side and do something" made me internally angrier than the evilest thing in hell because I use to work out-side all year round doing joint breaking work.  I avoided the term 'Back breaking' because it's our joints that really go first.  Nowadays I can't even make it through one day without my knee screaming at the top of its lungs to stop.  So for walking or yard work I wear the most comfortable yet ugliest looking shoes called crocs, thank you.  I stopped wearing the 8 eye holed healed work boots 3 yrs into the last trade I did.  Anyways get a mountain bike, walk a dog - anyone's dog, or do the exercise programs found on YouTube or a Samsung TV - it works.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
How about a sport? I used to play in a volleyball league with people of all ages, sizes and skill levels. Team sports are a good way to both exercise and have social interaction.

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
I've grown weak over the past 5-6 months.  Not from lack of exercise but the HIV it-self.  Even with my situation. 
Excuse the tangent, but has any doctor of yours said your fatigue is the result of your perfectly controlled HIV infection?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »
Excuse the tangent, but has any doctor of yours said your fatigue is the result of your perfectly controlled HIV infection?

Do I really need to have a doctor like mitch has to tell me that needing 2-3 days of rest is normal after the type of work I've done the past 20yrs when I use to come home and be somewhat pooped out on a Monday?  I know my body in accordance to fatigue and the balance of what I can do has tipped  ... sorry to break the popular thinking on this; this is not punk rock rebellion. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:24:35 AM by tryingtostay »

Offline weasel

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 11:25:39 AM »
from my aidsy years (1987-2007) until now, gardening and yard work are #1 on my list. One of the perks to moving back home to SC was that I got a 2 acre piece of property to take care of.

I used to bike; but this area I'm in now is just too rural. Riding a bike on the roads here is more likely to end up in your death.

I agree completely on the bike riding , Our Country mountain roads are  too up and down wavy
     to see a bicycle that is only  1,000 feet ahead .   I have found riding in our state parks works out well ,
   we have several good riding areas  :)

A few years ago I was bicycle  riding on our four lane state road  a few days later while driving  I noticed how easy it was NOT to see  anything in the road  :(

Bob and I have a small 25 acre Parklet  :)      At times I get way too much unintentional exercise .
    I love to plant flowers and  continue to add to our home .
    It feels good AFTER  I rest up .   
    I'm glad to be able to wonder around and do whatever I'm in the mood for , it all involves muscles  ;)

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline initforlife

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
I find that wild meaningless sex is a good workout! ok if meaningless offends some I will throw in a kiss!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
Re: the "fatigue" issue in the last several replies, what I wonder about is how much the fatigue is HIV-related and how much is simply do to simply getting older.  Speaking for myself, I seem to overanalyze and think that everything is related to the infection, when it may be simply part of the natural aging process.  People do tend to slow down as they get older and certainly the energy I have now is not the same as I had in my 20's.

Tryingtostay:  you do have great numbers!  To the best of how I can reconstruct things, my initial infection had to be more than 15 years ago (Spring 1999), so I was infected for more than 14 years before I got PCP and my CD4 was 9, VL 111,000.  I was never tested because I did not think I was at risk (a condom was used, but they do break).

I was never ill in those 14 years, never really tired, had lots of energy, long work days, a fair amount of work travel, fun travel throughout the worlds. etc.  Never thought about HIV, other than to feel sympathy about others who had HIV ("there, but for the grace of God, go I,") and making monetary contributions to AIDS organizations.

But I started getting a bit fatigued the last few years, before my diagnoses, and would need to take naps over the weekend.  But I was also in my 50's, so didn't think too much about it.  What I'm saying is, it's a fine line to determine whether every single ailment we have is HIV-related.  Anyway, I'm not trying to negate your feelings of fatigue, you have them.  Like mecch, I'm just saying you have great numbers and your CD4's (though I reached undetectable within weeks on Atripla, my CD4 last lab was 131, so HIV may well be part of my fatigue) are probably indistinguishable from most "negatives."  Maybe your fatigue is just a matter of aging, so don't fret over it.  Exercise, of course, that's always a good thing.  But you are healthy and will be healthy for a very long time!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
I cycle daily and haven't had an accident in almost a year.  :)  I'm fortunate to live in an area where there are so many activities readily available.  My sister and I have made treks up and down the crick for decades.  You can't even imagine the workout your abs and legs receive doing this. 

A little fact that I've always amused myself with is that our little lake was built to provide water for the Erie Canal.  When they needed more water in the canal, they'd open the locks and float the transport rafts down to the Licking River.  So any liter produced locally eventually can end up in the Gulf of Mexico. 

Even with the endless amount of time I spend on crutches, I always manage to walk the lakefront.  During healthy periods, I walk all the way to our post and enjoy a beverage before heading back. 

I've also decided to join the legions of those who do flowers.  Landscaping will be next summer's project in addition to a large veggie garden. 

I am on the list of someone who dislikes actually doing exercises solely for the purpose.  I'd rather receive a workout with activities I enjoy. 

wolfie
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 12:46:44 PM »
Do I really need to have a doctor like mitch has to tell me that needing 2-3 days of rest is normal after the type of work I've done the past 20yrs when I use to come home and be somewhat pooped out on a Monday?  I know my body in accordance to fatigue and the balance of what I can do has tipped  ... sorry to break the popular thinking on this; this is not punk rock rebellion.

Yes you really need a doctor to diagnose what is going on with you.  Numerous people have wondered if your malaise is not about the HIV infection. 

Living well with HIV means not self diagnosing, and avoiding attributing all that ails us to HIV virons.....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.