POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 03:07:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639590
  • Total Topics: 48547
  • Online Today: 206
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Unprotected Sex Intercourse btwn Neg/Pos  (Read 643 times)

Offline Turtle-12

Unprotected Sex Intercourse btwn Neg/Pos
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »
I am HVI+ on ARV and undetectable,  I don't know my boyfriend's status and he doesn't want to do a test even though I told him I was HIV+ (don't ask why long story)...

The point is that, he insists on having unprotected sex but I am worry i will infect him or if he is HIV+ not been treated that he will give me a super infection... Does anyone know about this? if one is HIV+ but undetectable  and has unprotected intercourse with someone whose status is unknown, are they at high risk of contracting the virus and, if they are + can one get super infection??? thanks

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Unprotected Sex Intercourse btwn Neg/Pos
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »
Hey Turtle,

Superinfection has been a tough one to document and we have an article:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/superinfection_virus_1667_24055.shtml

It's from July 2013 and it has links to other research as well.

Personally, I've been poz for 31 years and had lots of sex with pozzies and have yet to encounter anyone who claims to be "superinfected".

Joe

Offline Turtle-12

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
Thanks Joe, interesting article, i found some info, and it seems like new research shown the risk of transmission is very low less than 4%... i will still insists on having get a test so that if he is positive he can get meds...but that's another story : o) thanks again David

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »

Hi Turtle  :)  ,

Nice to meet you !

My husband's status is well known , He is NEG .

We have been together over thirty years and I often worry about
     passing HIV to my husband .   He feels it is a crap shoot in life  :o

I have been undetectable  for  10 years now , so he feels that
     safe sex is not really sex .  I disagree !    It puts a damper on
   my mood for sex . 
      For all the HIV POZ men I know running around with  any John , Dick or   
     Harry I have never known anyone to catch the others HIV . Not to say
     it could not happen , but it seems to rare ?

I hope you can get your partner tested , really no reason not to .
     You have a relationship and he must feel that HIV is not a reason to run .

Be well ,
                                                                  Carl
" Live and let Live "

Online tryingtostay

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »
So even if one who has control over the virus without meds and has unprotected sex with others who are HIV positive but on meds and is cream-pied can the controller contract different HIV proteins or whatever (strains?) and end up losing control of the virus without meds? 

Offline Turtle-12

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »
Thanks Tryingtostay and weasel for your comments, my issue is rather to know whether i can infect my partner if he is negative... (this we don't know) but let's just say he is, would i be able to infect him if I am undetectable...some of the research i found said that there is less than 4% risk...but i still think is too much risk...I just don't know how to ask him to wear a condom as he doesn't believe I am + and doesn't want to hear about it...kind of closed mind type of guy...

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »

1) I just don't know how to ask him to wear a condom

2) as he doesn't believe I am + and doesn't want to hear about it...kind of closed mind type of guy...

Answer:
"Put a condom on, honey."

2) Hello. He doesn't "believe" you are HIV+?  He thinks you are lying that you are HIV+?

Remind me again why this is a relationship you want to pursue?  De Nile isn't only a river in Egypt.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Online tryingtostay

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »
Apparently the VL can fluctuate in the seminal fluid even at UD levels.  Even pre-seminal fluid.  With that type of findings in research I would venture to always wear a condom. 

Offline Dan0

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
So even if one who has control over the virus without meds ......

You don't have control over the virus if you're not on medication.  You GET control over the virus by being on medication. Anything else is just a waiting game and the virus usually wins.

He doesn't 'believe' you are HIV+ and doesnt' want to hear about it?  Apparently, he doesn't value you for much - and at the same time you should be valuing yourself a lot more than you are. 
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.

"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
I don't know my boyfriend's status and he doesn't want to do a test even though I told him I was HIV+ (don't ask why long story)...
I thought my second long-term partner was negative and although we always had protected sex, he died of AIDS just a few years ago.

What did I learn from that:
just because someone tells you that they are negative and "recently tested" doesn't mean that they even really know their status. if you and your partner continue to pretend like he's negative without testing and confirming this, you too might find him dying of AIDS one day.

So even if one who has control over the virus without meds and has unprotected sex with others who are HIV positive but on meds and is cream-pied can the controller contract different HIV proteins or whatever (strains?) and end up losing control of the virus without meds? 
no one has "control over the virus without meds". Without meds, an HIV positive person is infectious. Without meds, HIV is a terminal illness. However with meds, a person is protected from dying or transmitting HIV because meds will act as PrEP (pre-exposure) and PEP (post exposure), and meds alone control the virus
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »
He sounds like he may be a denialists ... so please do not let him convince you that you do not have a virus that can take your life if you do not take your meds . This is a serous subject and I urge you to give it lots a thought if you wish to continue with a person who clearly does not value your life .

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
he doesn't want to do a test even though I told him I was HIV+
a person who clearly does not value your life .
nor does he even value his own life. :(
gotta be scared for someone willing to be that ignorant
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.