POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 11:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650186
  • Total Topics: 49633
  • Online Today: 198
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trials by Nobel Laureate and others make new immune systems for HIV patients  (Read 1206 times)

Offline blundell

The 2nd half of Nobel Laureate David Baltimore's Phase I stem cell clinical trial has been approved, sez the below article. In that trial, more patients will now get stem cells with the same protective mutation as that of The Berlin Patient, the only cured HIV patient. 

This article also discusses a similar clinical trial being launched by City of Hope hospital, and stem cell transplants without the Berlin Patient mutation. See:
http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/blogs/2014/08/creating-new-immune-systems-hiv-patients

Offline geobee

It sure would be interesting to know if these 4 patients underwent and STI, and if they did, what happened to their viral load.

Offline Cosmicdancer

Apparently the second group will also get a conditioning regimen to hopefully increase the percentage of t-cells that are modified.

Calimmune Approved to Treat Second Group in HIV Stem Cell Gene Modification Study

June 25, 2014

San Diego, CA – Calimmune today announced encouraging safety data from its innovative gene-based stem cell therapy, Cal-1-being developed to help cure individuals infected with HIV. The company can now begin treating the second group of patients in the trial, which is being funded in part by a grant from the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM).

The company was given the green light to move ahead following a review of safety data by the Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB). The DSMB found none of the participants experienced any serious adverse events or dangerous side effects from the therapy.

"We are very excited and encouraged by this development," says Louis Breton, Chief Executive Officer of Calimmune. “This recommendation from the DSMB is an important step in bringing this potential one-time therapy to the patients, and takes us closer to our ultimate goal of eradicating AIDS."

Breton continued: "We are proud of our ongoing partnership with CIRM and are most appreciative of their continued financial support of this critical effort."

The Phase I/II clinical trial focuses on a protein called CCR5 that plays a key role in enabling HIV to infect cells. Blocking CCR5 may provide the cells a protective shield against HIV, which in turn would help retain immune system functionality.

"The mission of CIRM is to efficiently accelerate the development of stem cell treatments for patients suffering from unmet medical conditions," says C. Randal Mills, Ph.D., President and CEO of CIRM. "While still early in clinical development, this announcement demonstrates real progress towards this mission. The accomplishment of Calimmune's team is a great example of how CIRM partnerships are working to impact patient's lives today."

In the first phase of this study 4 HIV-positive participants were infused with their own blood stem cells as well as mature T cells that had been modified to carry a gene that blocks production of CCR5. The hope is that those stem cells will then create a new blood system that is resistant to HIV.

The participants had all previously been on anti-retroviral drugs but had discontinued taking them because of side effects or treatment fatigue, where the body stops responding to the medications as effectively as in the past.

The second group of 3-4 participants will not only get Cal-1 but will also receive a preconditioning regimen, aimed to make the therapy more effective.

The goal of the trial—which is being conducted in San Francisco and Los Angeles—is to assess the safety of the therapy, to determine the ease of use and feasibility of the approach for HIV/AIDS patients and to evaluate what, if any, side effects there may be.

"With more than one million Americans living with HIV/AIDS there is clearly an urgent need for treatments that do more than just hold the virus at bay," says Jonathan Thomas, Ph.D., J.D., and Chair of the stem cell agency’s governing Board. "Current medications are often effective, but come with a big cost both in terms of dollars and side effects. Our goal with this project is to help find an approach that effectively cures people with HIV/AIDS.

About CIRM
CIRM was established in November 2004 with the passage of Proposition 71, the California Stem Cell Research and Cures Act. The statewide ballot measure, which provided $3 billion in funding for stem cell research at California universities and research institutions, was overwhelmingly approved by voters, and called for the establishment of an entity to make grants and provide loans for Stem cell research, research facilities, and other vital research.

About Calimmune
Calimmune is a clinical-stage HIV gene medicine company focused on developing innovative cell-based therapies for HIV. The company's stem cell technology was discovered in the labs of Nobel Laureate, Dr. David Baltimore (Caltech) and Dr. Irvin Chen (UCLA AIDS Institute). Calimmune is also developing a rich product candidate pipeline to address the needs of different types of individuals at different states of HIV infection and with different levels of treatment experience.

http://www.cirm.ca.gov/about-cirm/newsroom/press-releases/06252014/calimmune-approved-treat-second-group-hiv-stem-cell-gene
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
June, 2008 - undetectable, 612 cd4
January, 2009 - undetectable, 670 cd4
May, 2009 - undetectable, 593 cd4
Sept, 2009 - 83 vl, 763 cd4, 34%
Dec, 2009 - undetectable, 889 cd4, 32%
April, 2010 - undetectable, 860 cd4, 31%
October, 2010 - undetectable, 800 cd4, 38%
April, 2011 - undetectable, t-cell test not done
October, 2011 - undetectable
April, 2012 - undetectable, 850 cd4, 39%
November, 2012 - undetectable, 901 cd4, 41%
April, 2013 - undetectable, 846 cd4, 36%
October, 2013 - undetectable
May, 2014 - undetectable, 784 cd4, 48%
October, 2014 - UD, 1084 cd4, 48%

Offline greenbean

The problem of their approach is delivery.

As Paula said, gene is badly behaved. As anti-HIV gene is randomly inserted to DNA, the inserted gene usually doesn't get transcribed and can't block CCR5...

The 2nd half of Nobel Laureate David Baltimore's Phase I stem cell clinical trial has been approved, sez the below article. In that trial, more patients will now get stem cells with the same protective mutation as that of The Berlin Patient, the only cured HIV patient. 

This article also discusses a similar clinical trial being launched by City of Hope hospital, and stem cell transplants without the Berlin Patient mutation. See:
http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/blogs/2014/08/creating-new-immune-systems-hiv-patients

Offline Hoyland

The problem has been delivery but in silica modelling has shown that with Calimmune's approach a relatively low level of stem cell engraftment will, overtime, cause substantial reductions in the viral load.

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1003681

If the modelling is correct, then there is no reason to believe that sufficient cells can be modified and re-introduced to the patient.

Offline greenbean

Nice link.

Here is evidence of reservoir reduction even with tcells

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqminnqp9tfikcn/sangamo_s728.png

stem cell trial will start soon and seems they can modify up to 50% cells in a single run now. Hope for the best.

The problem has been delivery but in silica modelling has shown that with Calimmune's approach a relatively low level of stem cell engraftment will, overtime, cause substantial reductions in the viral load.

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1003681

If the modelling is correct, then there is no reason to believe that sufficient cells can be modified and re-introduced to the patient.

Offline Hoyland

Sorry, the last sentence in my previous post should have been:

If the modelling is correct, then there is good reason to believe that sufficient cells can be modified and re-introduced to the patient.

Typing never was my strong point.

Offline dico

Sorry, the last sentence in my previous post should have been:

If the modelling is correct, then there is good reason to believe that sufficient cells can be modified and re-introduced to the patient.

Typing never was my strong point.

Yes but there would still be a high viral load and inflammation. So for me: next.

Louis Picker will speak about his revolutionary CMV vaccine this week. If someone finds a script or an abstract of his interview I would be interested.

Offline Hoyland

Yes but there would still be a high viral load and inflammation.

There is not enough data currently available to support this statement. Until the data from that current trial is published, we simply won't know how effective CAL-1 will be.

The mathematical model is interesting but it does not model the combined treatment of the CD4+ T cells and the CD34+ hematopoietic stem cells, which is the basis of the current trial. Furthermore, we still do not know what the transfection rates for the three arms of the trial will be.

Until we know how these parameters influence the treatment, any assumptions will be premature.

Offline Ptrk3

Thanks, all, for the info on this thread.  I'm trying to moderate the time I spend on reading about potential cures (see recent complementary thread in this topic area "cure--discussion"), in order to work on "acceptance" of my positive status, but I can't help but be excited about some of the current research out there.  I hope some of these things pan out, individually or in concert, to forge the next great advancement in treatment, if not cure.

I will keep an eye out, dico, for the Louis Picker talk this week and will send it on here, if others don't do so first.  I think it's supposed to be a talk before a local Chamber of Commerce or something like that (I think I read that in one of the forums here).

In the meantime (of course, all of us can Google things), I stumbled on this handy link that is relatively recent and shares a collection of ongoing research studies.  I'm passing it on for everyone's convenience:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/series/HIV_30

Now, back to practicing "acceptance" of my status and learning to be grateful for the research that brought us to the moment where we can control our infections.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.