Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

What's In Your Butt ????

<< < (2/2)

Lisa:
Darn it Lwood!!!!
Did ya have to wave the neato knives under my nose? Now I have a raging case of knife envy. :P
I learned scads of cool preparations for pork products from my ex-mother in law. Her parents(and the Mr.too) came from the old country, where pork was the only meat in decent supply. As people who lived through WWII, the only fresh meat they could find was often a little "over", so often vinegar was used in the cooking process to cover the gamey taste of the meat.
I have another interesting little recpie to try sometime.
Back in the day, pork ribs used to be pretty cheap, and she would buy these giant slabs(10 kids to feed) and spend a good portion of the day with the slabs braising in a giant pot. Once the ribs had reached the desired tenderness, she would then add equal parts(cans) of saurkraut, and pork&beans. The first time I ever saw her make this, all I could think was EEEEeeeeeeewwwwww, but in fact it tasted quite good.
Someday remind me to tell you about fried macaroni.

Lwood:
I've Made Fried Macaroni !!!! I used some leftover Macaroni and Cheese cut into squares and coated with breadcrumbs !!!!  Ribs and Saurkraut are a pretty logical combination  I unfortunately only eat Saurkraut around Octoberfest but some braised cabbage is never far away... and neither are 'Pigs in a blanket'  -drools-
Another regular on the table here is pork Loin  not those tiny things either, the Big Boys about 5'' in Diameter and two feet long...Ive seen them sliced into thick 'Chops'  stuffed with seasoned bread crumbs  and sold for a premium price as 'Thick Cut Boneless Pork Chops"... Please!  for the price of Two of them I can pick up a whole loin and make my own stuffing out of dried apricots and walnuts and maybe some dried sage  and truly eat 'High On The Hog !!!
I heard that Chutney and vinegar sauces were developed for meat that wasn't quite at its peak of freshness but I like them just the same... I found a recipe for Cranberry chutney a few years ago and Ive never gone back to the Traditional sweet relish...

Lisa:
The fried macaroni I'm talking about is exactly that. Boil the mac until el dente', drain and rinse(to stop the cooking), place in a large skillet with an equal amount of chopped onion, and fry in oil of your choice until browned. I use gray salt that I get from the international market.(5lb bag for 2.99$) and pepper to taste.
Nuthin but onion, and mac. The first time she showed me this, I fell in love with it. I haven't made any in ages.
Matter of fact, I think I will today. I esprecially like to add about three or four hungarian peppers sliced into it.

~drool~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version