Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Baby Thought To Be "Cured" Has Viral Rebound; Signs Of Immune Damage

(1/6) > >>

tednlou2:
Disappointing news, but perhaps something can be learned from it.  Would longer treatment make the difference? 

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cured-hiv-baby-infected-doctors-find-n152861

dico:
It is a disaster.

mecch:
Dico you are over-invested in a cure. In my opinion.
The mother of this child was negligent. That baby was supposed to have been on HAART. The baby disappeared from medical care, AND therefore treatment, several times and for long periods.  Showing up quite a while into a long period without drugs, which was NOT a medically guided experiment, but rather parental negligence, the child was declared "cured"....  Evidently, prematurely.  Well, that's a pity.

This was not a controlled, planned, research or experiment in "the cure". It was doctors, having recuperated the child into care, waiting to see what might happen since the untreated kid wasn't showing the infection....

There is a lesson in this, its TAKE YOUR MEDICINE FOLKS and get on with your lives.

I'm looking at you, too, Ted.  Take the damned pills why don't you.

The cure may not come in our lifetimes.  We need to get on with living while we wait.

geobee:
How did the child go UD for over 2 years and then poof! have a viral load?  Was it that the virus was lying dormant, or was she fighting it off? 

Also, the article says “These children can live to their 30s and 40s,”  -- why not a normal life span? 

Scientific curiosity aside, I sure hope the child gets good regular care.

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: geobee on July 10, 2014, 07:23:45 PM ---How did the child go UD for over 2 years and then poof! have a viral load?  Was it that the virus was lying dormant, or was she fighting it off?

--- End quote ---

Its the same old story and thats the virus in the gut and brain rebounding ... the same reason why our combos are not enough to eradicate the virus from our bodies because of the viral reservoirs .

I can honestly say I was not one bit surprised when I read this today for many of the same reasons mecch noted .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version