POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 03:54:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649714
  • Total Topics: 49588
  • Online Today: 149
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 103
Total: 106

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can HIV make mosquito bites worse?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
Can HIV make mosquito bites worse?
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »
I went out Fourth of July night around 10:30. The whole time I could feel bugs landing all over me and little stings. I woke up yesterday with twenty something bites. Within 24 hours sixty-two mosquito bites appeared.  I have huge swollen patches in some areas. My daughter has over forty mosquito bites. My husband has four! My daughter and I were mostly bitten on the backs of our knees.
I just have been using ice packs this morning because two days later the itching has turned to pain!!! The swelling is going down and the bites are getting smaller. I looks like it is healing.
For now I am using ice packs and just rotating them from one painful area to the next. I tried cortizone 1% cream... No good!!! Then Caladryl lotion... It worked until this morning. Now only the ice packs are working, I also took two Aleve a half hour ago. The ice packs work then I move them to the next part of my legs.
Is the HIV making this more painful. My daughter is itching, but not itching as much.
I read online that nausea, vomiting, headaches, and chills are signs of an illness from a mosquito bite. I don't have any of those symptoms. I am only in pain.

Offline wolfter

Re: Can HIV make mosquito bites worse?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »
I'm convinced my current meds cause this.  I've discussed this numerous times with my doctor and we haven't solved it yet.

I can lather myself head to toe with repellent, and the little bastards attack me but leave everyone else alone.  These bites swell something horrible, eventually rupture and scab over. 

I sure wish we had an answer as I never experienced these problems until the last several years.  They're so noticeable that people have actually commented on it.

greg
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
I have found that Benadryl gel helps . When Jan visited she used it everyday and swore by it, she was eat up by skeeters the whole time she was here . Its best to use spray to prevent the bites to begin with but this stuff works after the fact .

http://www.benadryl.com/products/allergy/topical/benadryl-extra-strength-itch-stopping-gel

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »
I have found that Benadryl gel helps . When Jan visited she used it everyday and swore by it, she was eat up by skeeters the whole time she was here . Its best to use spray to prevent the bites to begin with but this stuff works after the fact .

http://www.benadryl.com/products/allergy/topical/benadryl-extra-strength-itch-stopping-gel

I bought the spray yesterday. I cannot use it on open sores though. So I am staying inside until I heal enough to spray myself with repellent. We are keeping the AC on so the Mosquitos don't come in if they can find a way in. I bought OFF! Deep Woods with 25% DEET. I hope it works! I did not think it was possible to get bitten so many times. I lived in Las Vegas and before that California. I never had more than two mosquito bites in one summer. No mosquito bites in Nevada.
I am hoping I will be able to fall asleep soon. I have been up throughout the night applying ice and Caladryl.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
I cant be out early in the day or from dusk to dawn or I get eat up . I have a screened in patio that I can use during those times of day and I wont get bit . Every time I visit my friends house I get eat up if I go out at night or early in the morning . I swell up and then the bites open up and cause a pit in my skin ... very unpleasant .

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
http://www.m.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet?page=5

Read this. I'm one of the afflicted too. Read why.

I just bought extra strength Benadryl itch stopping cream. And it works!!!
Better for me than getting drowsy with oral Benadryl.

I wonder though, too,if there is a correlation with HIV meds that has increased my attractiveness to mosquitoes. I have been attracting them all my life, but now the bites can turn into sometimes half a golf ball size welts hard, hot and red for a day or two then they cease. And, I get every size of bite less than that too.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
Mosquitos don't bother me.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
I bought OFF! Deep Woods with 25% DEET. I hope it works!
I live in the woods in SC and I have a spray bottle of OFF! by every door! You'd be a fool here to not spray it on even if you're just running kitchen trash out to the big garbage can or stepping out onto the porch to check the weather. Every single time I get bit, I realize it's because I did not spray on the OFF.

I also buy mosquito coils; those green spiral burny things (pack of 4 usually runs about 99 cents). they burn for 4-6 hrs and do the trick in repelling mosquitoes from my deck and around the pool.

and although I have no scientific evidence to back up the "medical opinion" I'm about to give, yes! mosquitoes bite pozzies more and the after-effects are worse.  ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
Miss P is surrounded by concrete and asphalt and rarely gets mosquito bites - maybe two a year. However, I did get one on the 4th while drinking absinthe with my hot Persian lover outdoors. It swelled up somewhat large yesterday but is already on the wain, no doubt due to my 1735 t-cells for which I am blessed. ::)
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »
I know I posted a picture here a couple of years ago of my chest area.  I had went to a bonfire party and sprayed all my exposed skin.  The little bastards still chose to go after me and bit the hell out of me through my tshirt.  It looked like I had shingles.  I've wondered if isn't the way we metabolize our meds and exhale something they're drawn to? 

I had a bite on my forehead a couple of weeks ago that ended up being the size of a golf ball.  Several people asked who jacked me up.

Remember the fear of when people thought these bastards could spread HIV?  wonder years in deed.  :)
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »
If you read the link I posted it has to do with cholesterol emitted through the skin, uric acid, and even CO2.

But as you note Wolfter, there seems to be a nifty new dessert feature with ARVs.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »
I cant be out early in the day or from dusk to dawn or I get eat up . I have a screened in patio that I can use during those times of day and I wont get bit . Every time I visit my friends house I get eat up if I go out at night or early in the morning . I swell up and then the bites open up and cause a pit in my skin ... very unpleasant .

Thanks for mentioning Benadryl. My husband got some today. I feel tiny bits of itching, but not painful or needing to scratch. I am light headed so I am about to take a nap.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 12:18:17 AM »
mosquitoes bite me more since i have been poz and the bites turn into purple bumps before disappearing slowly. i dont know what s the cause of it, though.

Offline Irish Eyes

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 03:02:17 AM »
Typically they feast on me.
Surprisingly since dx zippo, nada.
10/30/13          Exposure
Mid-Nov-Jan    Seroconversion (7-8 rough wks)
12.26.2013      WB dx. HIV+
02.01.2014      OraQuick (result Negative?)
01.31.2014      VL 250700
02.03.2014      CD4  491  26%
02.26.2014      CD4  503  26%
03.05.2014      HLA B6701  not present
03.18.2014      VL 530873 (typical fluctuation)
03.21.2014      Start Stribild
04.14.2014      VL 104 after 24 doses
05.12.2014      VL 129 after 52 doses
06.10.2014      CD4 940 32%
06.11.2014      VL 87
07.22.2014      VL 20
09.23.2014      VL 43

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Miss P is surrounded by concrete and asphalt and rarely gets mosquito bites - maybe two a year. However, I did get one on the 4th while drinking absinthe with my hot Persian lover outdoors. It swelled up somewhat large yesterday but is already on the wain, no doubt due to my 1735 t-cells for which I am blessed. ::)

Hopefully you will be able to sit down comfortable soon...  ;)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
Typically they feast on me.
Surprisingly since dx zippo, nada.

An exceptionally good example of the luck 'o the Irish.

Offline Irish Eyes

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
Watching Dr. Oz today "Dr. Oz's Summer Survival Guide"
Mosquitos hate the smell of grapes. i.e. fresh grapes, not that white zin stuff.
How baccahanal !!
10/30/13          Exposure
Mid-Nov-Jan    Seroconversion (7-8 rough wks)
12.26.2013      WB dx. HIV+
02.01.2014      OraQuick (result Negative?)
01.31.2014      VL 250700
02.03.2014      CD4  491  26%
02.26.2014      CD4  503  26%
03.05.2014      HLA B6701  not present
03.18.2014      VL 530873 (typical fluctuation)
03.21.2014      Start Stribild
04.14.2014      VL 104 after 24 doses
05.12.2014      VL 129 after 52 doses
06.10.2014      CD4 940 32%
06.11.2014      VL 87
07.22.2014      VL 20
09.23.2014      VL 43

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:40 AM »
When my daughter was a young child she had a whole host of allergies.  One summer we went to some cabins at a lake with the family, and she got totally eaten up.  They swelled out to welts, and I ended up taking her to her allergy doctor.  He prescribed a tapered dose of Cortisone, that's the only thing that worked to heal her skin.  It was awful. 

I live by a lake now, but have not gotten bitten.  Of course, I'm not right near the lake either.  My friend has Benadryl in pill, liquid, cream, and spray lol.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.