POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:52:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24258
  • Latest: ter353
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649945
  • Total Topics: 49609
  • Online Today: 190
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 125
Total: 129

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cure Overseas  (Read 1172 times)

Offline newguy123

Cure Overseas
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
I apologize in advance if i upset anybody. I'm still pretty new to this and this site so i'm trying to learn as much as i can.  But after i spoke with my counselor today i had to post this:

I was talking with my counselor today and she was saying there has been some stem cell research done in other countries (not US) at which the infected person was cured.  Is this true? I find it hard to believe that if it was not more ppl know about it. she said that stem cell research and blood transfusions have been done that showed to get rid of HIV.  Anybody know anything about this?

Offline life2

Re: Cure Overseas
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
Hi newguy,

It is true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Berlin_Patient

This cannot be used widely due to cost and the risk involved.  It has, however, provoked new research into a cure.  Search these forums for Callimune and Sangamo.  Both currently have clinical trials ongoing.

Offline geobee

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:29:21 PM »
While it's probable the stem cell transplant cured the Berlin patient, he also received radiation and chemo.   It could be the combination of the transplant and the chemo/radiation that cured him.

Offline elf

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
This is true,
HIV reservoir was destroyed with the use of irradiation,
and afterwards a HIV-resistant transplant was given.
It's like simple mathematics in theory, but risky in real life.  :)

Offline newguy123

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:35:53 AM »
Thank you so far for the responses. Again i'm new to this whole thing and i'm trying to educate myself on whats out there. I'll admit i didn't know that much regarding HIV or its treatments.  Obviously now i have to start leaning this stuff. My therapist that I started seeing for this told me she heard of a cure and that it was fairly reasonably priced. Guess she was half right lol.  Thank you again for the info. If anybody has any websites or links around this topic please post them up in here. I'm sure we have others that would be interested in reading this as well.  Thank you again.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
"My therapist that I started seeing for this told me she heard of a cure and that it was fairly reasonably priced..."

I think I would try to find a therapist that was more than half right...  ???

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:32:45 AM »
always remember, IF and when a cure or vaccine is developed (one that works for the masses), I have no doubt the news will be blasted around the world and plastered all over the news.

your therapist wasn't even really half right. There is no cure and it is not reasonably priced. The Berlin Patient case took chemo, radiation, stem cell transplant - all of which run an incredibly high risk of death, a very low rate of success, with a lot of negative side effects, and are all very expensive. The case itself was not really a cure, but an eradication of HIV, which is proof-of-concept that a cure might be possible. Sadly, it sounds like your therapist may be just as clueless and ill-informed about HIV as most laymen are today :(

Google up "berlin patient" (because Google is your friend LOL),or use the search function here. Because the Timothy Brown (aka Berlin Patient) case was first announced 7 or 8 yrs ago, this is fairly old news and there has been a boat-load of information and follow-up written about this case.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
What's that you say, there's an overseas cure?
Perfect opportunity to wear my new wardrobe from the Pucci resort collection.  8)  Do you think caftans and turbans will be appropriate?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newguy123

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
I agree with you completely leatherman. Considering the situation i had to ask lol. hopefully it will be soon.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.