POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 03:45:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639110
  • Total Topics: 48517
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Health insurance at work is bad. need advice,  (Read 809 times)

Offline cozinator

New Health insurance at work is bad. need advice,
« on: June 28, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »
Insurance from my company has changed. 6500.00 out of pocket every year then 1000.00 for my meds per month. 12000.00 per year. almost 20,000.00 a year out of pocket there is no way I can do that. anyone have any advice Are you allowed to refuse coverage from work and get it yourself?

Offline emeraldize

Re: New Health insurance at work is bad. need advice,
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »
Are you using the co- pay program (s) available from all of the pharmaceutical manufacturers of ARVs ?  This is KEY to your financial survival.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/PAPs_Copays_19740.shtml

Read up. This is meant specifically for people with insurance  !!!

I've used it for four years. One card for Isentress and one for Truvada now instead using Epzicom. I receive $4800 in co-pay assistance and am extremely grateful for these important programs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:07:38 PM by emeraldize »

Offline cozinator

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
is there a way to get insurance to cover some of  the 6500.00 medical out of pocket?

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
Dunno. I've reached the limits of my knowledge to help you lower your costs. 

Offline cozinator

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
Thank You for you help.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
You are most welcome!!

What are your meds? ALL if them not just HIV meds. I ask because I might be able to tell you how much less you'll pay per year using co-pay assistance. That might help you put the $6500 in reach and may I suggest you figure out what you typically spend per year? $6500 is a lot of medical expenses. You might not spend anywhere near that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:08:05 PM by emeraldize »

Offline johnnaus

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
I recommend you speak to your benefits rep in HR to make sure you understand your benefits.  The limits you stated seem to be much higher than the new health care law allows. Here is a link with the information from healthcare.gov.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/out-of-pocket-maximum-limit/

If your employer does not provide coverage that is compliant with the law, you may be able to get assistance to purchase insurance on the health care market place.

Offline cozinator

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
I just take atripla. I have been trying to figure out if prescriptions are part of that 6350. max out of pocket a year.

Offline skyeblue

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 12:41:02 AM »
You can refuse insurance from your employer and go find it on your own. The problem is, it will cost you more and you will not qualify for any of the tax credits from the Affordable Healthcare Act. I know this because I work for them. You will also find out that most insurance companies have, or will go to the high deductible and high out of pocket since they now have to cover pre existing conditions. I am going through the same thing, but the Ryan White program has sent my insurance a check to cover my three month co pay twice and the insurance still says they have not received it. Neither check has been returned either. So I have been trying to get my meds for over a month and still no luck.
So, good luck on your insurance and meds. Get co pay assistance cards, and find your local Ryan White program for help.

Offline Since1993

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 07:42:13 PM »
Insurance from my company has changed. 6500.00 out of pocket every year then 1000.00 for my meds per month. 12000.00 per year. almost 20,000.00 a year out of pocket there is no way I can do that. anyone have any advice Are you allowed to refuse coverage from work and get it yourself?

Every state offers Ryan White Part B/ADAP assistance which would pay your insurance premiums and co-pay for HIV-medications listed on their formulary.  Some states go further and pay all co-pay for any outpatient service.

RWPB and ADAP assistance are means-tested programs.  As long as your income doesn't exceed 200-500% (what % depends on each states individual requirement) of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) and meet other requirements (proof of HIV status, assets, insurance coverage, etc.) they will assist you.  Typically, they can at LEAST provide assistance through your annual deductible and/or maximum out-of-pocket.

Contact your local AIDS Service Organization (ASO) and ask for assistance.  They will be able to help direct you towards a path of relief from burdensome insurance and outpatient medical expenses.

Offline skyeblue

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 01:57:53 AM »
Call 1-888-281-8981 to sign up for an Atripla copay card. It will pay $6800 per year of your copay, there is no set monthly amount and it automatically renews every January. I got mine set up on Tuesday and it covered the whole $1300 that my insurance didn't pay for a 3 month supply. I received my Atripla on Wednesday morning.
 This also freed up the money that RW was going to pay for something else in their program.

Thank you Emeraldize for the tip  :)

Offline mrtoad

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:22:02 AM »
drug companies are crooks
Lee
prezista with a kick from norvir,
Truvada, Intellence. celexa,xanax.Revolving statin

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.