POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 28, 2014, 08:16:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24315
  • Latest: Eb39
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650619
  • Total Topics: 49677
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Where Science Might Be in 2050  (Read 527 times)

Offline RobbyR

Where Science Might Be in 2050
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
I think about this a lot I wonder where science will be by the year 2050 I will be 68 years old then if I make it. A Nasa scientist with SETI (search for extra-terrestrial intelligence) recently told Congress that he feels we as a species will detect an extra-terrestrial signal from an advanced species by the year 2030 assuming anyone is out there to detect..he made this assertion due to our increasing listening capacity we now have more capacity than ever before to listen and screen through space noise to detect a possible signal from an alien species. I for one hope we do make contact in my lifetime that would be so exctiting and cool to say nothing of the implications for earth maybe some of the horrendous things happening now on this planet would subside a bit if we knew we weren't alone in the cosmos.

Other potential science developments I'd like to see b mid century are tangible efforts to reduce climate change and help restore wetlands and build flood controls systems like Holland in places that need it like New Orleans and Bangladesh. Global warming is increasing by a huge rate and if nothing is done we could see a climate warmer than it's been in hundreds of thousands of years if major steps aren't taken soon by US, China, India, the biggest polluters.

By 2050 I'd also like to see more advancements in not just preventing disease but curing it altogether.

And I'd love to see a return to space maybe to Mars as long as it would produce real benefits for people on Earth.

Maybe my fantasy of Star Trek with a utopian society is far fetched, but I still have tiny hope that some day humans will learn how to live and work together regardless of sexua orientation and race.

I don't see us developing warp-drive anytime soon but actually Nasa is conducting tests on the idea to see if the idea of negative energy which would be needed for a warp drive system could be feasible in practice. So that's encouraging. Who knows by 2050 maybe someone will have discovered a way to invent warp drive ships. Or at least making space travel accessible for everyone regardless of background.

Lastly, by the year 2050 I hope we figure out a way to get off of fossil fuels for vehicles. It's inevitable, fossil fuels are running out anyway..so alternatives will have to be developed. The last century was the internal combustion engine one, now we'll have to develop reliable and affordable ways for people to get around. Electric perhaps..and maybe relying more on high speed rail or even personal flying vehicles...who knows what will be invented but by 2050 internal combustion engines will be a dying breed due to fossil fuel running out.

I hope some of these ideas come true, if even one does, it will be exciting. And mostly I hope I live until 2050 lol
Started Atripla August, 2010.

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Where Science Might Be in 2050
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
Its an interesting topic . Stephen Hawking pointed out that he hopes we never make contact with an advanced species or race . Advanced cultures have not been shown to have a positive impact on others races or species when they come together, the likely hood of us encountering a species that wants whats best for our interest is far less likely than the alternative .   

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:46:53 AM »
You are correct Jeff, Mr. Hawking has stated that we shouldn't be blatantly advertising our presence in the galaxy as a technological species because any advanced aliens out there will probably be far more advanced than us and he thinks (based on human history) that odds are they might be malevolent...He said the risk was that if an advanced alien race detected us (or has already detected us) that the outcome may be like when Columbus encountered the Native Americans..which didn't turn out well for the native americans to say the least..

However the genie is already out of the bottle, it's too late NOT to advertise out presence, because earth has been emitting radio waves into space for the past 80 years or so..so any species within 80 light years would have alread received our transmissions assuming they have a dish.

Personally I don't think there are any intelligent aliens within say 100 light years of us or we'd have already detected them..The nearest one may be very far away, and due to the huge distances between stars, if they are malevolent, unless they have warp ships, it would take them thousands of years to reach us.

But we may still detect an alien radio signal if they are reasonably close, and once we eliminated every other possibility, we could verify where it came from. There was a signal called the Wow! Signal detected in 1977 that's never been found again but was about 200 light years away and is considered by some to be possibly the best andidate for a extra terrestrial signal to date..

But now our listening and receiving capabilities are so much greater, that if there are advanced aliens reasonably close, we should be detecting them in the next few decades. So that's quite exciting.
Started Atripla August, 2010.

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
It is very exciting .

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:15:48 PM »
I think we will have developments to stop cancer cells, without chemo and radiation.  Growing organs.  Possibly being able to replace aging cells, so we age slower.  Spinal cord injuries fixed.  Ability to regrow limbs.  It seems I remember seeing a news report about a man growing back a finger, even now.  Hopefully, treatments to fix mental health issues will be making progress.  The brain is so complex, so I doubt we will have that totally figured out. 

About the aliens-- Yes, we may not like what we find.

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:05:09 PM »
Where Science Might Be in 2050

in my graveyard?  ::)

Expect more mind control and ''healthy'' GMO foods
and things like that.
I got GRID on GRInDr

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »
The second cup off coffee tasting as good as the first.
Oh and my imaginary Valet , Raul , being real and not continually visiting relatives in fashionable Parts off Europe. HA! an Aunt in Milan tish tosh.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.