POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 10:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23497
  • Latest: Saguito
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639236
  • Total Topics: 48521
  • Online Today: 212
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I think my meds are not working  (Read 805 times)

Offline ramirezolveraalejandro

I think my meds are not working
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »
I was diagnosed on January 2014. I started Atripla next month, with a VL of 400 000 and CD4 320. On April 2014, I reached VL 800 and CD4 600! But then again in June my VL got 8 000 and my CD4 remained 600. I take my pills everyday in the same time, I don't know what happened. My doctor says this growth is still little so we're going to wait two months more to retest. But I'm very disappointed, I think they'll be bad again. I got Hepatitis B vaccination and Pneumococcus vaccination too that month, or perhaps I got reinfected by my new partner. We were so stupid one day that we forgot to use a condom a day, but then we realized it was not good so we stopped it and he didn't finish inside me. I don't know what to think!

Offline Almost2late

• "My disease stops with me" - Jeff G
Re: I think my meds are not working
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
The vaccination could cause your viral load to increase something similar happened to me .. But your cd4's look in the normal range ( I'm jealous )..

Good luck 
Atripla, Bactrim, Azithromycin
Date         CD4's          VL
02/14     13  2.79%    228k+
03/14     52       7%       3k-
04/14     not done          2k-
05/14     184     9%       595
06/14     117     8%       235  switched off Atripla
08/14     135    10%      110  stopped Azithromycin
Tivicay, Truvada, Bactrim

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
― Dr. Seuss

“Everybody dies … The thing is, to have a life before we die.”
― John Irving, The World According to Garp

Offline elf

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »
How is your CD4% dynamics?
Let's have a Kiki!

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »
feb VL 40000  CD4 320
apr VL 800      CD4 600
Jun VL 8000    CD4 600
not bad statistics at all for 5 months  :D
viral load decrease and cd4 increase are not straight line functions. Both could bounce around during the first year. What you must always care about, and only care about, is the tread. Graph that stuff out. the lines have clearly been down in viral load and up in cd4. When you next test in aug/sept comes back UD/632, think of the worry you will have wasted on this. LOL
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline eric48

• @HIVPharmaCure & tinyurl.com/HIVPharmaCure
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:02:04 AM »
... or perhaps I got reinfected by my new partner.... I don't know what to think!

Reinfection has been elusive... Always feared but never seen ... Pretty much like the Lock Ness monster

Actually it has been reported once (and only once) , recently, in 1 guy undermeds who go reinfected by a multi resistant virus (or multiresistant partner, if you wish...). This is the only case ever medically reported

If your partner is POZ (not UD) and you are under meds, your meds are acting as PreP , and a virus cannot open shop.

So the re-infection fear is irrational , here...

Once you are UD, and this will come, you stay UD, and you can ... forget about condoms (at least for HIV)
(Now, in various sex situations, I'd stick to condoms because of other STDs)

A viral uptake like this is rare:

feb VL 40000  CD4 320
apr VL 800      CD4 600
Jun VL 8000    CD4 600

Technically, a VL of 8000 would allow a resistance test. Here, they would do it, results take a month anyway... So waiting 2 months for the next test and/or doing resistance test may not be that different, after all

You will soon know what to think ...

Wouls be nice if you could keep posting, once you results are in

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD; CD4 > 1000; CD4/CD8 ~ 2.0   safety stock : 2 months

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
I'm kinda sad and confused guys, perhaps I'm just whinning about anything ( we say pleurnicheur in french or llorón in spanish) But I've been poz since 5 months. I started very positive, and then this stuff (VL increased) just took me in a bad phase. I've read most of the cases people get UD in just one month with Atripla. Doctor says no to be VERY worried at this time, but wait the next VL test. We both hope to be down again.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
A viral uptake like this is rare:
not true. getting to UD is very often not a straight-line event. Quite often the VL and CD will "bounce" up and down, which is why following the trend is 1000 times more important than ever worrying about a one-off test result.

I've read most of the cases people get UD in just one month with Atripla.
you've been reading some incorrect information then.  ;) Getting to UD can take anywhere from a few months (6 to 8 wks) or up to a whole year. Some people have even taken years to reach UD (I took 12 yrs worth of meds before sustaining UD). Expecting to reach UD within a month is a very, very unrealistic expectation. Listen to your doctor, if you don't want to listen to us, as he is completely correct. There is no reason to be worried at this time.

Your regimen clearly seems to be working properly, and unless your VL is up next test, you simply have nothing to worry about at this point.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
Ok. I'll wait next month, but I'm a little relaxed now. My doctor told me is not anything to worry about, but at the sime time he was a little worried. It's just a lot of info, a lot of cases, and I'm just 6 months until I got infected.

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »
 Relax..check out my numbers. It took me over a year to become undetectable.. Like leatherman says..it is all about the trends...
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.