HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Could I be?

(1/1)

downunder:
Well, It has been 2 years since I was in Vietnam and I had a very questionable one night stand experience. At the time I thought nothing of it but now I am really starting to worry that I really got somthing. A little while after I got back I noticed that when I wake up my eyes were very dry. I have never had that in my life. Every morning I wake up to this day, my eyes feel like there is no liquid in them and it takes 2 mins to focus and get life into them. I started getting swolen nodes both in my groin and under my arms. My muscles seem to always be sore and would shoot from spot to spot. I am always fatigued and can sleep forever and I even woke up with night sweats a few times. It was only until recently I looked up these symtoms and it was in line with HIV. Now I am becomming terrified as I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 7 years now and i dont know what I would do if I was infected.
Do these symptoms Ive been having sound like I could have hiv? I know that the only way you can tell for certain is if you get a test but I am super scared!

Ann:
down,

Symptoms, or even the LACK of symptoms, mean absolutely nothing when it comes to hiv infection. The ONLY way to reliably know your hiv status is to test.

If you've had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you can test at or beyond the three month point for a reliable result. Hiv is nothing to speculate about. Don't guess, test.

Ann

downunder:
well i know what your saying is obviously true.. I know now that there is something wrong with my body. I dont feel the same.  I am going to get tested. I am just terrified that if I did in fact get something, i would have passed it on to my girlfriend.  I might be able to deal with the fact that i contracted the virus onto myself but to give it to my inocent girlfriend, I dont know how I could live with that....

Andy Velez:
A "questionable" incident? If that means you had unprotected intercourse then you do need to have an HIV test. You can get a reliable result at 13 weeks or more after the most recent incident.

If it was a single such incident then the odds are very much in your favor against transmission having occured. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly more difficult to accomplish from female to male.

For anyone who is sexually active we recommend that you regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually and every six months is even better. There are other STDs which are much easier to get than HIV.

Cheers, 

Coffeechick88:

--- Quote from: downunder on November 06, 2006, 02:07:58 PM ---Well, It has been 2 years since I was in Vietnam and I had a very questionable one night stand experience. At the time I thought nothing of it but now I am really starting to worry that I really got somthing. A little while after I got back I noticed that when I wake up my eyes were very dry. I have never had that in my life. Every morning I wake up to this day, my eyes feel like there is no liquid in them and it takes 2 mins to focus and get life into them. I started getting swolen nodes both in my groin and under my arms. My muscles seem to always be sore and would shoot from spot to spot. I am always fatigued and can sleep forever and I even woke up with night sweats a few times. It was only until recently I looked up these symtoms and it was in line with HIV. Now I am becomming terrified as I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 7 years now and i dont know what I would do if I was infected.
Do these symptoms Ive been having sound like I could have hiv? I know that the only way you can tell for certain is if you get a test but I am super scared!

--- End quote ---
Do you mean unprotected sex?  You should see a doctor and get tested to be sure.  Don't spend time analyzing what your symptoms may be--it will make you crazy as a person who diagnoses himself is a dangerous thing.  There are many things it can be.  A doctor can analyze your symptoms and order the proper labwork including an HIV test. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version