HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

How can this happen ?

(1/1)

SooConfused:
I am very confused !  There are so many different sites to get info from it blows my mind. Ok to start I am 37 years young woman... and I have been with my bf for 5 1/2 years about 6 months ago he was diagnosed with aids. Omg scary for both of us about 6 weeks later I was tested also, I tested negative !  Now we never used protection and were very active sexually... 2 sometimes 3 times a day. How does this happen ?  I have read so many people's stories... and they say one time is all it takes. Not that I am not thankful , trust me I am just very confused how this happens is all !!  ???

Ann:
Soo,

This happens more often than you may think. Exposure does not automatically equal infection. By the way, have you tested beyond the six week point? Unless you have tested in Massachusetts, the window period is considered to be three months past your last unprotected encounter, even though a negative at six weeks is an excellent indication of your true status. If you only had the six week test, you may want to consider testing again, just to be sure. Hiv is nothing to guess about.

If you and your boyfriend are still together, I'd like to invite you over to the Living With forum. There are other women who post there who have positive partners, despite remaining negative themselves.

Ann

SooConfused:
No ann I haven't tested again just yet , the woman told me to come back in 6 months which is next month. It had been 5 weeks after our last unprotected encounter.  The woman also told me if after 5 years I hadn't cotracted it ..... good chance I didnt in those few weeks.  But to be sure come back in december. And yes I am still with him.

Coffeechick88:
You'd be surprised at how hard it is to get HIV.  Just because you are exposed it doesn't mean you will definitely be infected.  Unprotected vaginal intercourse has a 1/1000 risk.  It also depends on many factors such as viral load and other things.  There are a few people that exist that have shown to have multiple exposures and never be infected.  Scientists do not know why.  Some are luckier than others.  For me, it was the first time I ever had a sexual encounter.  We are all different.  The important thing is that you are negative. 

If you are still with him, you need to use condoms each time.  Also, realize that if the condom breaks, PEP is an option.  Despite what the right wing conservatives would have you believe, HIV cannot pass through intact latex and if you use condoms properly the chances of them breaking are slim.  To be safe, at least get a 3 month test.  It is possible to make a serodiscordant relationship work.  There are many couples that exist and even go on to have families--without infected each other or their kids. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version