Main Forums > AIDS Activism

Jeanne White-Ginder, mother of Ryan White, reflects on son's legacy nearly 25 ye

(1/1)

drewm:
I truly struggled over which forum to put this in. It's worthwhile reading for everyone.

INDIANAPOLIS - In the early 1980s, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, or AIDS, was new and unknown. Ryan White, a teen from Kokomo, became one of the early faces of a disease now much more understood, thanks in large part to the struggles he and his mother, Jeanne White-Ginder, faced three decades ago.

Ryan contracted AIDS through treatment for hemophilia. He was expelled from school. His fight to live a normal life and return to the classroom was pushed into the national spotlight.

After Ryan's death in 1990, the Children's Museum of Indianapolis became the home to his story. An exhibit of Ryan's bedroom belongings remains on display on the museum's third floor. She spoke with RTV6 in an interview for "Indianapolis This Week." "I would never have thought that Ryan's legacy would still be ongoing today," White-Ginder said. "Ryan put a face to this disease to where people could listen. People felt like they knew a person who had AIDS because of Ryan. I think he opened the eyes to a lot of people to make this a disease, as Ryan always said, and not a dirty word."

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/jeanne-white-ginder-mother-of-ryan-white-reflects-on-sons-legacy-nearly-25-years-after-his-death

zach:
i submit a new forum be added "required reading, week 1" this being in there

Almost2late:
Thank you drew for sharing this and I agree zach,it is required  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version