Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Bonnie, my cat, died the other day.

(1/2) > >>

BB:
But the real trip was the shenanigans of the hospital. I found Bonnie unable to stand, her left side was useless, her neck was bent and her head was turned to the right. Also her right eye was about twice the normal size.

The only place I could take her that late in the day was an emergency (24 hour) animal hospital.

Not to get to deep into everything because I'll just get mad again this pet hospital must see dollar signs when anyone walks through their door. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They tried to convince me to let them keep Bonnie for several days, ($$ kaching $$) so they could rehydrate her, make sure her potassium was ok, ( I've been giving her potassium supplements and one month ago my regular vet checked her potassium level which was fine) and deal with an inner ear infection. Kaching $$$$$$$$$$$$$

The real kicker came when I asked about Bonnie's bulging eye and limp left side. Oh, they said, Bonnie definitely has neurological damage. We can't do anything about that, but we can make her feel better so you both can say good by and maybe spend some extra time together. Kaching$$$$$$$$$$$

So, I asked again, will she be cured or will we still be looking at lethal injection after spending five days here at the emergency animal hospital? Kaching$$$$$$

After some unintelligible babble from the technician cause I was starting to loose it and really couldn't hear anything. I managed to growl out through tears and anger, "Please give her a sedative to make her sleep and then give her a lethal injection now."

The bill still came to $150 to stop her suffering and end her life.

I saw this same attitude when my dad died from lung cancer. The doctors suspected dad had a brain tumor which was the source of his cancer. They wanted to test for and maybe operate to remove the tumor, if one was found. Later a nurse told me they were only trying to run up the bill the insurance had to pay. My dad was still going to die from lung cancer regardless of the brain tumor.

Why do the hospitals do this? What is the point? Why let an animal suffer for five days before ending her life anyway or keep my dad in a drug induced coma the last five days of his life only to watch his breathing slow and finally stop.

I don't understand and can only hope I have the opportunity and strength to take my own life when the inevitable end is near.

Bill

Andy Velez:
That's an sad story and an infuriating one, Bill.

Hope things are better today.

Cheers, 

BB:
:'( When I would come home I'd make a sort of short warbling sound and Bonnie would answer from one of the other rooms with the same sound. Sometimes I'd wait for her to make the first sound then I'd answer back. Animals/pets can be such a surprise.  :'(

allopathicholistic:

--- Quote from: BB on June 07, 2006, 05:51:37 PM ---When I would come home I'd make a sort of short warbling sound and Bonnie would answer from one of the other rooms with the same sound. Sometimes I'd wait for her to make the first sound then I'd answer back. Animals/pets can be such a surprise. 

--- End quote ---

that is cute. those little things stand out, but the big thing is the LOVE baby. the LOVE.

(i have 2 cats, my aunt and uncle have 3 downstairs)

Ann:
Bill,

Poor Bonny, poor you. There was no need to put either of you through that. I lost my most beloved cat ever four years ago in similar circumstances and it still hurts to think about it.

(((((Bill)))))

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version