POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 04:13:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23059
  • Latest: dum@ss
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632119
  • Total Topics: 47863
  • Online Today: 257
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 206
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My stribild is sitting in my closet  (Read 2108 times)

Offline young89

My stribild is sitting in my closet
« on: May 26, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
I've had it a week now.
I can't bring myself to take that first pill, I just am not ready to marry meds for the rest of my life.
I have had the virus for about a year and a half now
My cd4 is in the 700s and my VL is 2000
Can I wait longer y'all ?
I don't feel bad now, I feel fine....
Does the start of meds invigorate or energize you again ?

I'm just in a slump about starting my medication.

Can I get some advice

Offline Dan0

Re: My stribild is sitting in my closet
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Take your pill! If the doctor prescribed it then there has to be a reason he/she thinks you should take it and I wouldn't begin to second guess them now. You can delay the inevitable all you want, rationalize not taking them in dozens of different ways but at the end of the day, this IS your new 'marriage' and - candidly - you're going to have to accept it and get used to it.

8 or so years I took my first pill and there are others here than have had this marriage far longer. Trust me when I say that soon, you'll get up, take a breath, shower, go to work, take a pill and it will be just another step in the day and YOU WILL BE FINE. Better than fine because being poz, it's a marriage that works!

I'm not trying to diminish your concerns but you know you have to do this.

Good luck and do the right thing!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:16:51 PM by Dan0 »
"Drink your milk and take your meds!"

"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
Hi Young

I agree with Dan0. If I had it to do over again I would have started earlier. 
You have that chance.

Em

Offline young89

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
Thank y'all:)

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
Think of how invigorated you will feel when you get your first undetectable viral load!

Online zach

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 07:02:40 PM »
what exactly are you waiting for?

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
Every study has shown the earlier the better, it's just a pill, look at it like this: when you have a headache, you take ibuprofen right? Do you worry about the effects of that, or what might happen etc, wait for relief of the headache? Look up side effects of ibuprofen, now, take the pill but also be ready for it, because once you start there is no stopping and there's very very few oops' allowed before the virus mutates.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.

Offline young89

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:52:29 PM »
I'm waiting to accept the fact that the day I pop that first pill. I'll have to pop a pill every 24 hours until I'm old and on my deathbed.

I guess I haven't worried about being undetectable because I don't "feel" HIV.
I'll take the pill very soon. I just have to psyche myself up for it

Offline geobee

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Hey there Young,

Is this about taking the pill, or about being HIV positive?  Perhaps you feel that once you start taking meds you have to come to terms that you really have HIV and have to deal with it.

I take Stribild.  And, well, I like taking it.  I tell myself that my life is not determined by a stumble I made when I was younger.  I'm in control of my health.   Taking my meds is a way of telling myself that I matter; I'm taking care of myself because I'm worth it.

It's also good to start meds when your T-Cells are still good.  Once they go down, they can be hard to get back up again.  I'm sure there are many people on this forum that can attest to that.

Finally -- you might not have to take meds once a day forever.  That's just the current treatment now.  20 years ago you had to take many pills and HIV was still usually fatal.  Now it's one pill a day.  Perhaps, not too long from now, it'll be a quarterly or yearly injection.  And maybe, just maybe, they'll cure the thing. 

In the meantime, treasure yourself. Take care of yourself.  Love yourself.  Take the pill.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »
I've said this many times so I hope it hasn't tired out.  There are so many other things you have to do everyday for the rest of your life.  Wouldn't it be great if we only had to brush our teeth once a day? 

This is a common theme that I don't understand.  I'm not dimenishing your thoughts, just actively trying to understand why it's so common amongst the more recently diagnosed.  I know that's because I'm from the first wave.  We were anxious too, but not from the idea of taking a pill but wondering if we could live long enough to see a pill, any pill become available.  I didn't hesitate one iota as that was the only lifeline I was thrown.

I hate anything being forced to remain in the closet. ;D 
productivity breeds content

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 01:00:53 AM »
Hey young89, I'm coming up on a year of finding out I am HIV+ and was prescribed Stribild.  The first night I sat down to take it, I felt much the same way you did.  The thought of having to take this thing every 24 hours for who knows how many years was kind of scary.

That said, I didn't have the long hesitation you did, I sort of just dove in...mostly because I was more afraid of what WOULDNT happen if i didn't take them.  So, I figured out a time that would work for me every day (10pm...im always done with work by then, but it's early enough that if im going out to a bar or something it doesn't get in the way).

I've been taking Stribild for 11 months now, never missed a day, and taking that little pill has become an odd source of pride for me.  Like others have said, I am in control of my health and in control of HIV...it isn't in control of me.

The first night I took it i was afraid of the side effects, particularly the nausea.  And while that effects everyone differently, I have to say it wasn't as bad as I imagined it.  Yes, I wasn't feeling too great the first...or second...or third, fourth or fifth morning.  But eventually that passed and now I don't even feel anything.

Before this gets too ranty...just know that you still do have time and if you don't want to start right now, you don't have to.  Just know that...it's normal, and okay, to be scared.  But it's not always going to be scary and at the other end of that tunnel is a wide open field called piece of mind with your name all over it.

No, a pill won't cure all your issues with HIV...I'm still struggling with accepting myself and not being afraid of the stigma...but nothing is going to fix itself in a day. 

Wishing you all the best,

Mauzer  :)
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »
Young,

I can empathize.  My Stribild is not in the closet, but in the computer at the pharmacy.  Just wanted to wish you the best making the decision that is right for you.

Ted 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:44 AM »
young89 - Your library book isn't due yet. Do what you want.
Ted - Your library book is overdue and fines are accumulating.

-- The Librarian

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline eric48

• @HIVPharmaCure & tinyurl.com/HIVPharmaCure
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »
People may have various concerns when they learn their Dx; by and large, this is what they are concerned about:
Majors:
- life expectency
- will I infect someone

Minors:
- can I be super-infected
- Quality of life

Life expectancy:
not only until crossing the 350 line, has any risk been significant enough to allow convincing computation

Will I infect someone ?
VL in semen is lower than in blood, so the risk is low, yet, use of condoms covers that risk more than enough

Can I be super-infected ?
The answer for 95+ % of HIVers is NO. Because the raging replication of the resident virus outnumbers a would-be new comer, that, therefore, cannot open shop.
For Virologic controller like you, if control is not due Delta32 , but to mere immune control by chance, the immune control is strain-specific, so you are not protected against an other strain
The super infection has been reported in one (and only one) virologic controller who was not on meds
Here again, condoms remain your best friend

Quality of life ?
Meds have a physiological cost: they are inhibitors. Inhibitors binds to a X-ase (eg. integrase), but not specifically , they bind to other proteins as well, some of them used by your body
ALL inhibitors HAVE side effects (even non-viral inhibitors like statins...). Side effects are there, often not noticeable enough to affect quality of life.
The only way to know is to try.

You may get side effect (or may not): your Virologic controller status will have no say in this

misconceptions:
-Starting earlier is better: yes for people under active replication. Not verifiable for people without active replication
In your case you have as many replicative event in one year than the vast majority of us have (/had) in one day...
So let's not apply general findings to a particular, unusual, case
- treatment is lifelong . NO ! When treatment is interrupted, situation gets back to square One.
If, like a large majority of us, square 1 was calling for meds anyway, then, treatment cessation is pointless, but for you, it is safe

At any point of time our clinic has about 10 % of patients in interruption
2 main reasons are that patients tend to start (hence stop) at higher numbers and that some patients follow the SALTO protocol
If you are not aware that, in your case, it is safe to stop treatment, then you may ask your doctor ...

perspective
2000 Floating RNA in 1 mL, and 700 CD4 in one microL = 700 000 CD4 in 1 mL
1 Floating RNA per 350 CD4 in an ocean of liquid ...

Suggested route
Start meds, on a 6 month or 1 year plan, then, after 6 months or 12, re-assess

Eric

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:22:45 AM by eric48 »

Offline AusShep

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
Hey Young, how about putting the bottle next to your sink instead of hiding it in the closet as a first step.  (You too Ted).

Taking a pill forever can seem daunting at first when you look at it like that, but as others have pointed out, you brush your teeth every day, put your socks on, etc. and that's not a problem.  I'd recommend a pill reminder and phone alarm at first so you have an easy confirmation if you've taken your med or not.

When it's time to refill your Rx, refill it, and start taking your meds, you've built up a contingency, are still healthy, and are preventing long term damage that you can't feel from untreated virus. 

You won't feel sick or feel HIV effects until it's about to kill you, so try to get past "feeling" healthy meaning anything.  Once you start it'll get easy pretty fast.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
Hi Young,

Have you spoke to your Dr about this yet? A couple of facts that are non-negotiable are that you have HIV and that it is destroying your immune system. Sorry. Those are the facts. All the pieces of advice and platitudes here don't change those facts and they never will. I'm sure you've read through these forums and one take away that you probably found is that knowing what we know NOW, many of us would have opted to start earlier on medication if we had the knowledge and the opportunity. Why do you think you have that bottle of pills now instead of several months down the road?

Yes, it may not be a lifetime commitment. Maybe, just maybe, there will be a cure or more efficient forms of treatments who knows? All you have to deal with presently is what is happening NOW. You have a manageable condition that .....well, it's not being managed. It's being rationalized without having all the players on the team working together. What did your Dr see that made them write that prescription?

Because your Doctor thinks it's a prudent and wise step in your treatment. Please, don't self-diagnose or rationalize this opportunity many of us never had away. If you don't plan on taking your pills on the schedule your Doctor thinks you are, the very least you owe yourself is to speak to your doctor, understand your risks, alleviate your anxiety and come up with a course of action which they know of and that you are a participant.

You know yourself better than anyone...is there going to come a time in the future that each day you should be taking them that you have the thought of 'Maybe one more day....' Or 'Next week, next week I'll definitely start!' Then that week comes and it turns into another week...

At the very least have an open and brutally honest conversation with your doctor. I'm sure they'll be brutally honest, too.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:04:43 AM by Dan0 »

"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD

Online zach

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
man, take the damn pill. geo and dano posts both summed it up pretty succinctly

and you're going to need to think about how you explain this to your Dr. he's going to want to run labs to check on the progress and effectiveness of the med

not all horrible news. when (soon!) you do start, you'll already have a built in surplus, that will pay off later

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 11:54:36 AM »
not all horrible news. when (soon!) you do start, you'll already have a built in surplus, that will pay off later

paying off for me right this very minute.  my new job does not provide pay stubs unless you actively go in and ask for them.  they put money on pay cards.  anyway..i need those to redo the ADAP and all that mess, so I am having to use my back supply to ride out the meantime.

ps:  ted, am I reading this right?  are you saying that you have never gotten it together to start your meds yet?  really?  after all this time on the forums?  come on, man. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aaware72

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »
Hi,

I started Stirbild in March of 2013.  So far so good with no sides.  Have been UD since  June of 2013.

"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »
I had these fears when i first started treatment....I even had a bad experience with Atripla...for 9 months until i switched to Truvada/Isentress
What kept me taking the pill.  Life!

Now its just something i take (i have to take isentress twice a day) and its without thought.  Not unlike a multi vitamin. 
The side effects, for me, are nil.  I actually have to keep them in a pill box so I know if i took it or not (i find it funny, some may not)

All these folks here have helped me along in my journey and they have great advice....everyone here cares for your well being.

YOU have the upper hand right now, I suggest you keep the upper hand.  Its all within your power.

"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 07:40:20 PM »
I have a bit of advice for when you start-take the Stribild at night.  I took mine first thing in the morning and experienced nausea.  I never put associated that with the Stribild at first so dismissed it as something that was just happening (when you're a long-termer, you get used to things happening).  Then a couple clients started complaining about this.

I've found that when I take it at night, I don't experience this.  You really do need to come to terms with this.  It's not a bad thing, it's self-affirming.  It's choosing to live, and live well.  I remember what Greg (Wolfter) does, just wanting a med, some kind of med, to stop this thing in its tracks, and hoping to live long enough to see it.

Well, it's happened and we are all benefiting.  You just need to take that leap. 

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Fisher

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:55:01 PM »
I spent 31 years pretty much that way. I experienced no damage. But low level viremia is supposed to cause damage. My stats changed, so I needed to start meds.

Taking one pill a night, I also included some vitamins. I am now healthier than ever.

If I knew that is was not a great difficulty I may have started meds a long time ago.

A tough decision you have to make. Good luck!
- fisher
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL <20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL <20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL <20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL  22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL <20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL 320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL 1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Monogamous Partner Being Negative
ARS - Los Angeles Dec '82

Offline phoenix

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »
Young98         I'm a little over a year taking my meds.( I take three a day). You've known for over a year this was coming.  If you continue to wait it will only get harder. Listen to what everyone here is trying to tell you. Accept that you will take a pill everyday  and you will never have to " feel" HIV. I don't mean to sound callus and I do know how you feel. I jut comes down to you do what you have to do. Good luck with making your decision. Best of luck to you.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.                              The point of the journey is not to arrive.

Offline young89

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
I appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me,
I started meds yesterday at 11am.
no sideeffects at all

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »
I appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me,
I started meds yesterday at 11am.
no sideeffects at all

Happy to hear you have started meds, and that you aren't seeing side-effects.  I know it can seem daunting to realize that you may have to take these medications for the rest of your life.  I was at that point back in 2004.  The only piece of advice I'll offer is to suggest that you focus more on "now" rather than "the rest of the your life".  Sure, we all have hopes and dreams, and you can still work towards those.  But a lot is going to happen between then and now, even things you don't expect.  So focus on what you can do now to keep yourself healthy and happy, like taking meds. 
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Dan0

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
Well that's the best news I've had since 6am! Good for you!!

And good that you feel fine! I would suspect that if you don't have any side effects now, you probably won't down the line. I - and many folks on here - have had incredibly good luck with Stribild and it sounds as if you may be in the same boat.  It sounds as if you're off to a great start.

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD

Offline young89

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 06:34:15 AM »
Thank y'all again... Stribild agrees with me so well I don't notice it at all... I kinda wonder if it's working, I expected something at least, maybe some nausea... Weird dreams.. But not one side effect has been noticed.

Online zach

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 10:15:58 AM »
outstanding!  ;D

Offline Dan0

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
Thank y'all again... Stribild agrees with me so well I don't notice it at all... I kinda wonder if it's working, I expected something at least, maybe some nausea... Weird dreams.. But not one side effect has been noticed.

BINGO! 

If you read the boards with any frequency that's the first theme you pick up on - people are always expecting 'something' to happen.  When - if - it does, the anxiety is so blown up that what possibly is a small inconvenience and will dissipate, becomes this life-altering event that is overwhelming.  It's GAS - it's not end-times! It's managing a manageable illness and, yes, there are going to be some inconveniences and some annoyances but that's part of the management. 

I am very happy for you!  Don't expect much to manifest if you haven't already encountered it.  You may find that certain foods create some issues (see "GAS" above!), but your body becomes accustomed and it just goes away.  In most cases, if you can pop a multivitamin everyday then Stribild is nothing! You will soon be to the point that you don't even think about it and it becomes part of the daily regimen no better or worse than brushing your teeth, shaving or inhaling your first cup of coffee in the morning! 

Now that you have them out of your closet - get thee to a pharmacy and get a pill organizer!  Seriously.  You will become so accustomed to this new regimen that the next thing that will happen is that you'll be halfway through True Blood and you'll wonder, "Did I take that damn pill or not??"

You got this!  :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:40:23 AM by Dan0 »

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD

Offline young89

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »
Yes I bought an organizer so I remember to take it daily.

I do have one question... Sometimes I do vary what time I take it depending on what in doing... 8am, 11am, 10am.. 12 noon... And the latest was 1 pm because I just forgot to take it earlier. Regardless of the time I usually manage to take it in the morning between
7am and 11am......

Is that ok ?   I highly doubt I will ever miss a daily dose.. BUT I'm sure my times will vary.

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
Hi young, this doctors forum talks a lot about stribild and you can also ask medical questions too, as long as you take it at some point in the day you'll be fine according to 3 doctors I've talked to. http://hivforum.tumblr.com/
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline eric48

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
My experience :
pill organizer

www.tinyurl.com/HPC-PS

AND a backup alarm on mobile phone at, say, 11 AM or whatever hour is convenient for you to take pill in case you have forgottern earlier

My schedule is anytime before 9 AM

With Strib. food obligation, you may want to elicit one of your meals, say lunch,  and set the backup alarm at 5 PM

After 6 months or so, missing one pill now and then should not be a problem, anyway

Eric

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
My experience :
pill organizer

www.tinyurl.com/HPC-PS

AND a backup alarm on mobile phone at, say, 11 AM or whatever hour is convenient for you to take pill in case you have forgottern earlier

My schedule is anytime before 9 AM

With Strib. food obligation, you may want to elicit one of your meals, say lunch,  and set the backup alarm at 5 PM

After 6 months or so, missing one pill now and then should not be a problem, anyway

Eric

Eric, you are incorrect. Food is recommended but not required or obligated with stribild, studies have shown greater absorption with food but it did fine without. I believe it said with 800 KCal there was an 87% increase in the amount absorbed, but that the amount without food was fine. Complera DOES have a 400 calorie minimum on the other hand, it's made by the same company so maybe that's why you confused the two.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline Dan0

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »
You should take it with food....something...to help the absorption. Just follow your doctor's advice and the recommendations...take it with something. We can argue the points of this till the day is long but in the end do as it indicates. No, you don't have to have a meal and, yes, you can probably get away without this component from time to time but get yourself into the proper routine from the beginning.

I'm not a doctor but I can read instructions. When starting out, you probably want to do better than "fine" when it comes to adherence.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:59:48 PM by Dan0 »

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD

Offline eric48

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 04:08:48 PM »
Stribild.com and aidsmeds drug page say .on food.

My point was mostly about a backup alrm

Belt and suspenders

If you would post studies you are referring to, I 'd be happy to educate myself

Disclaimer: not always able to understand what read I

iPad.Eric

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »
http://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/cobicistat-elvitegravir-emtricitabine-tenofovir,stribild.html

This says that when a light meal of 320 kCal 20% fat was administered there was " mean elvitegravir and tenofovir systemic exposures (AUCs) increased by 34% and 24%, respectively, relative to fasting conditions" You can infer from this statement, that taking Stribild without food was fine, however, taking it with food DID boost it. I read from Dr.Joel Gallant recently that even a bite of peanut butter was fine, thats located currently on page 4 of HIVFORUM.TUMBLR.COM I do agree that food should be attempted, but if a decision comes down to adherence v. food availability, i'll take my chances with adherence.
 Dan0, I am fully capable of reading instructions, and have done days worth of research on HIV, and the chemicals necessary for treatment, lol, if you dont believe me ask Irisheyes, or call my Doctor in Sacramento, CA. Nowhere did we speak about adherence, which in its definition of "The Act of Adhering, esp. to the act, or action..." essentially, as long as OP takes the pill, he's good, was what I was trying to say. Although we all do eat at SOME point in a day, so I do agree with you that a routine should be setup right as soon as treatment begins.

Abso!
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline eric48

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »
studies have shown greater absorption with food but it did fine without.

That is the one link I would appreciate, if you have it...

Most times I do not understand what I read, but I still enjoy reading (even no understand)

a 30% less absorption (which in some patient may mean 50% or less, as Pharmacokinetics has variabilities) seems to me the very reason why the manufacturer says 'on food'

Or do you think there is an other reason ?

Occasional no food (even even occasional no pill) won't kill you, but since we were talking about establishing a daily routine that does not fail, why not start with the recommended routine

@Young89: please keep us posted with your progress. Most likely you will be UD soon

Eric

Offline absopozilutely

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
Eric,
I already provided that link, if you read the links provided you'll see what I was saying.
12/18 Infected
2/19 WB Confirmation

Offline eric48

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
Where in your link does it say it is safe to take Stribild without food (other than on occasion)

I may have missed it and I do not want to be corrected in a future post if I say 'food obligation' and there is, in fact, none

You have mentioned studies that say :

but it did fine without.

I just want to be accurate in future post and be able to link to available data, in compliance with the Forum rules

If you have found some studies that would allow users for an easier life, I think there would be some added value if you could share

I hope you can find it into your bookmark folders or regoogle for what you mentionned

I'll appreciate

Thanks in advance

Eric

Offline kique105

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
Hi Young

I've been on Stribild for almost 2 years now.  When I first started it, it was just FDA approved a few months prior so I really struggled with when to start.  I took my first pill the day I got it prescribed.  For me, delaying it just meant not fully accepting my diagnosis.  I joined a support group to help with that.  Was I ready to take a pill every single day of my life? Then I thought about my mom, who is diabetic, and has to prick her finger every single day of her life and on top of that take meds to control it, and I felt silly. If my mom can do it, I can do it.  Two years on and it's amazing how quickly it turned into a routine where taking the pill just happens.  At first, I was so paranoid that I would miss a pill that I had an alarm on my cell to remind me.  Then I was paranoid that I had to take it with food so I made sure I took it during dinner time, but dinner time was never set in stone.  Then I realized that taking it with food helped if you have nausea as a side effect.  Thankfully, I didn't and so I decided to take it right before I left to work in the morning (which is set in stone for me).  Remember to talk to your doctor if you ever want to change the time you take your meds.   In the end, you will need to start taking it eventually.  Starting it later only means you let the virus hang around longer and cause more damage.  Personally, once I was diagnosed, I wanted the virus stopped.  I was not going to let it have free rein of my body anymore. Although there are many medical reasons why you should start taking it now, ultimately that decision is up to you.  My advice, look around you at friends and family that may have to take a medication every day also.  It's surprisingly common.  High blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes.  All conditions that require daily monitoring or meds.  Millions of people do it and life goes on.  That is something I have learned in the past two years. Good luck!

E.

Offline eric48

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »
... with stribild, studies have shown greater absorption with food but it did fine without.

One week of intense googling ... and nowhere to find studies showing that   it did fine without. food
I will google for it one more week. Eric

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.