Main Forums > AIDS Activism

Activism in Broward county

(1/4) > >>

ieshiahiv:
I'm not seeing much being done in Broward county, although I have been informed we are number one for new hiv infections. I know a lot of you may advocate or know someone who does.

I advocate from my social sites and blog but how do I get into schools? What are other ways I can go about being heard? Our county and city officials aren't doing much. I'm 24 and I know my voice could help.

Any suggestions?

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: ieshiahiv on June 05, 2014, 09:32:27 PM ---I'm not seeing much being done in Broward county, although I have been informed we are number one for new hiv infections. I know a lot of you may advocate or know someone who does.

I advocate from my social sites and blog but how do I get into schools? What are other ways I can go about being heard? Our county and city officials aren't doing much. I'm 24 and I know my voice could help.

Any suggestions?

--- End quote ---

Welcome to the forum . How about doing a little introduction and tell us about yourself . How long have you been living with HIV ?

leatherman:
1) check with your local ASO - which probably already has prevention programs in the local high schools.

2) check with the state health department (for an HIV Planning Council) which determines the prevention strategies for your state.

3) check for a state wide task force that has prevention as one of its goals.

4) check with Planned Parenthood, or some other agency, tackling pregnancy, STDs, and HIV prevention.

You yourself won't be able to get into the schools unless you have a contact through a supervisor or principal. I mean, people have to be vetted to speak to underage minors.

I would also say that you are probably doing a disservice to the people in your county and city who have been struggling for years putting out an anti-HIV prevention message in your area. I'm sure once you contact some of the agencies I mentioned you'll see that your local officials have been spoken to frequently and that there is some sort of HIV prevention message being put out in your area. I totally agree though that your voice could help. The fact that you haven't gone to these agencies or heard their messages shows that there is a lot of work to do and you could be a big part of doing that work.

zach:
i would think ft lauderdale would have an active aso, maybe i'm wrong. i lived in some inland counties down there have decent care

ieshiahiv:

--- Quote from: leatherman on June 05, 2014, 09:58:42 PM ---1) check with your local ASO - which probably already has prevention programs in the local high schools.

2) check with the state health department (for an HIV Planning Council) which determines the prevention strategies for your state.

3) check for a state wide task force that has prevention as one of its goals.

4) check with Planned Parenthood, or some other agency, tackling pregnancy, STDs, and HIV prevention.

You yourself won't be able to get into the schools unless you have a contact through a supervisor or principal. I mean, people have to be vetted to speak to underage minors.

I would also say that you are probably doing a disservice to the people in your county and city who have been struggling for years putting out an anti-HIV prevention message in your area. I'm sure once you contact some of the agencies I mentioned you'll see that your local officials have been spoken to frequently and that there is some sort of HIV prevention message being put out in your area. I totally agree though that your voice could help. The fact that you haven't gone to these agencies or heard their messages shows that there is a lot of work to do and you could be a big part of doing that work.

--- End quote ---

Please do not confuse my willingness to help with a blatant oversight of those before me. I am 24 years young and I was born HIV positive. In Broward county a reputation is more important than a life. I was informed that we are number one in the Nation for reported new infections and yet I go throughout this county and I see no events, I hear nothing on the radio. I have contacts with our planning council and have set in meetings, and majority are monthly. I have recently started to advocate two months ago. It's sad to see my peers with no regard for themselves and others, downloading obviously fake testing results to the trained eye. I definitely only want to help because this is a county full of ignorance. I know the youth, I see them and speak to them. Their ignorance is the reason I am speaking up! I only wish to help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version