POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 11:43:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649843
  • Total Topics: 49598
  • Online Today: 284
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried and overwhelmed by so much information  (Read 694 times)

Offline Gmctx444

• Standard
Worried and overwhelmed by so much information
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
Hello,

I hooked up with a gay man on May 18, 2014, as the receptive partner. He claimed to be HIV negative and a condom was used. We both noticed that not enough lube was being used and he was a bit rough. I really wasn't feeling the vibe, and he understood, so I left.

I don't know if the condom broke or if he ejaculated; I wish I had had more sense in inquiring into this at the time but I rushed to go. I bled the next day during a bowel movement and I noticed a glob of white in the stool, possibly the congealed lube.

Obviously, from what I've read here, one of two conclusions can be drawn:

(1) The condom didn't break, this was no risk, aside from usual testing further HIV testing is not needed for this encounter as it was no risk

(2) The condom did break, this encounter has risk as with any rick of unprotected sex, and further HIV testing is required in the future to determine status.

I wouldn't have even considered HIV to be a worry, but I started having odd symptoms about 8 days after the encounter. To summarize these symptoms, I've had joint pain, muslce pain, muscle aches, and lethargy. On a pain scale out of 10, I'd rate these pains between a 2 and a 4. There has been no rash, no fungal signs, no sore throat, no headache, no swollen nodes, and no loss of appetite. Realistically, there has been no fever, but I'm not 100% sure.

For ease of read, here's a timeline:

• 05/18/14 - Date of last encounter: condom was used BUT not enough lube and it was rough; no clue of ejaculation or if condom broke.
  • 05/26/14 - The first sign of joint and muscle aches; didn't sleep well due to an evaluation I was expecting the next day at work.
  • 05/27/14 - Feelings of uneasiness over the whole situation as the joint pain and muscle pain increased. Mid-back also had throbbing.
  • 05/28/14 - Continuation of symptoms; considered the thought of a low-grade fever; bought a thermometer which showed my temperature at 98.9. I had a friend try the thermometer too and she showed 96.9. I'm not sure if her body temperature just stays cooler than I, the thermometer was broken, or if I was running a fever and the evidence of this would just be the difference between our temperatures (2 degrees).
  • 05/29/14 - Continuation of symptoms; went to the doctor and received a steroid shot and an oral NSAID. No fever when nurse measured temperature. Continued to feel symptoms at bedtime. Tested negative with OraQuik test. Obviously, this test has no bearing on the current situation as HIV wouldn't be detectable at this point, but I tested just for kicks as it had been over 6 months anyway.
  • 05/30/14 - Symptoms dulled potentially because of shot. Pains still seemed limited to hands, arms, legs, and feet.
  • 05/31/14 - Continuation of dulled symptoms; very stiff neck that subsided with NSAID supplementation. Naprosyn dulled night symptoms further.
  • 06/01/14 - Continuation of very dulled symptoms. Muscles still feel tired and painful after being squeezed.
  • 06/02/14 - Feeling a bit tired with occasionally achy joints and definite muscle lethargy.

These symptoms started on day 8; some sources say seroconversion say it can start after 1 week, 10 days, or 2 weeks.

Many sources also say that the symptoms seem "flu-like." I have nothing to gauge this by as I've never had the flu. I have seen the flu described as "miserable," and I wouldn't necessarily describe this as so. It was uncomfortable on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at work BUT I was generally fine on all of those days and didn't even consider the idea of calling in.

There's such a broad spectrum on seroconversion illness that I feel like these symptoms could potentially be part of this with the biggest sign being that they started suddenly on the 8th day after possible exposure. I've never had joint pain in my life. he joint pain and muscle fatigue don't seem to correspond at all to any other possible illnesses as all of those illnesses have specific identifying symptoms, whereas seroconversion seems to be something that might not appear in all HIV cases and has unique symptoms for every affected party.

Obviously, with anxiety like this, I will be getting tested as listed:

• Week 4 HIV Test - 07/01/14
  • Month 3 HIV Test - 09/01/14
  • Month 6 HIV Test - 12/01/14

Does anyone have any input on the situation? Obviously, it seems to boil down to whether I was exposed or not, which is not something I'm 100% sure about. The most confusing thing to me is this joint pain and muscle fatigue I'm going through.

Thanks!

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Worried and overwhelmed by so much information
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »
Your symptoms are not specific to HIV and could be from many things other than HIV . We do not discuss symptoms so if you are sick go see a doctor and find out why .

If you are not sure if you had protected sex then you are right to test . The earliest you can do so is at 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 12 weeks to confirm the results . There are no shortcuts and all test must be confirmed at 12 weeks .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Offline Gmctx444

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:59:47 AM »
Thank you for your response; one followup question before you go:

>Your symptoms are not specific to HIV

What are HIV specific symptoms? Presumably the flat, itch-less rash spanning the face? Just curious!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:41 AM »
GM,

There ARE NO "hiv-specific" symptoms. Primary hiv shares symptoms with many other viral (and some bacterial) infections. That's why ARS is sometimes referred to as "flu-like" - the flu is a viral infection most people are familiar with.

This is why symptoms will NEVER tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Gmctx444

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
Thank you for your response to you both. Have a good day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.