Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

odds of weight regain after wasting

(1/3) > >>

zach:
i'm just sort of thinking out loud here, this isn't something that is causing anxiety or anything

anyone here experienced significant weight loss and been able to regain a more "normal" body weight?

kind of getting sick of people telling me how thin i look, i'm like, "no shit?" and i  want to regain just to get them off my back. i eat well, even started pounding 2-3 ensure a day for an extra 400-600 calories on top of meals.

but at the same time. i don't care, as long as i feel ok, it doesn't bother me. i used to normally carry 175, right now i'm at 135. anywhere from 150 up, and i wouldn't even think  about my weight.

i've got bigger issues to deal with than my weight. i don't even want to think too much about lab numbers. just take my meds like a good boy, and be patient. i figure my dr will tell me when i'm ud, or if there is a glaring problem. i don't think i'm being reckless or cavalier, i give this virus it's due, i know what it brings. i just want to avoid extra stress on things i can do little to change. kind of a don't sweat the small stuff philosophy.

Jeff G:
You will regain the weight . I have been sick and lost down to 120 once and 140 a few other times . It took awhile but when the meds kicked in I began to gain again .

I now have to watch what I eat or I will get fat ... again .

Miss Philicia:
When I lost that much weight over a decade ago I did injectable deca-durabolin/nandroone anabolic steroid every other week administered by my doctor. Then we combined this with remeron/mirtazapine as my anti-depressant because it's well-known that one side effect is weight gain. Even doing all of that it took me 3 years to regain my weight, and you have to put a lot of effort into forcing yourself to get your appetite up. If you can convince your doctor to do injectable steroids (btw, my testosterone levels were fine -- this was just done to increase appetite and body mass) you should combine it with weight resistance training, lightly at first naturally.

wolfter:
It's important to remember it's also about building up muscle mass.  Just prior to me joining the forums, I was the sickest and thinnest I had ever been.  Even I recognized it.

I could barely walk 2 blocks to the post office and had to stop and rest.  I slowly started bicycling again.  I started out being able to ride a total of a half mile or so.  I pushed it continually and now I can ride endlessly. 

I know I'm probably the last person to address this issue  ;) but simply gaining weight without exercise will create flabby mass. 

During that period, I couldn't believe some of the comments I rec'd from people.  Yeah, I knew I was sickly and skinny but I didn't need to cower under the blankets and hide from society.  A person I had known for ages ran into me and almost immediately commented on my weight and said I needed to put on some weight.

I was looking down at her ass that was the size of VW and thought about suggesting we work on our weight issues together.   :o

Jeff G:
I would like to add ... HIV poz folks are sometime at a higher risk for abnormal lipids and cholesterol so I would pay close attention to what you eat and try to avoid that before it becomes a problem . You are a southerner and I bet you are offered the same high fat foods that put me at risk .

We were told back in the day to eat whatever we wanted to keep our weight up . I took that advice and now I'm a insulin dependent diabetic . 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version