POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 04:50:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23515
  • Latest: Sevans
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639729
  • Total Topics: 48560
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 145
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Living / working abroad in foreign countries with HIV...  (Read 516 times)

Offline Johnperk

• John Perkins | just my journey...
Living / working abroad in foreign countries with HIV...
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:48:17 AM »
I'm in college doing my general eds. I noticed my school offers sign language, french, German, Chinese, and Spanish. How cool would it be to learn a language and live in a cheap foreign country!? I'm the adventurous type so I think it would be really cool! For instance, I know teaching english to students is a popular occupation overseas.

However, I know certain countries are strict on people with HIV+ and some don't even allow or permit people with HIV. Also, I can't afford meds and the only reason I am undetectable is because I am part of a free study. If I wanted to live/work abroad how would I accommodate myself to proper HIV treatment ? Especially, when I'm not able to afford it in the states. Also, I know the peace corps has gotten strict with allowing HIV people to join. This disease can be a real burden...every time I have a cool idea for my future...I feel like the HIV thing just HAS to get in the way.

Also, are there any CHEAP countries where people speak Spanish or french or german or chinese that permit/allow people with HIV? I think it would be cool to see /live in parts of the world. It would be nice to live in a exotic place.

Online mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Living / working abroad in foreign countries with HIV...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »
Residence restrictions are disappearing but some countries still have them:

http://www.tht.org.uk/myhiv/Your-rights/Travel/Entry-restrictions

Another topic:
Maybe its time to seek more options about financing you treatment.  If you can't afford treatment, can you get assistance to pay for an ACA ("Obama care") policy next year.  Can you qualify and receive ADAP?  What about a combination of the two?  Have you spoken to an ASO - HIV/AIDS service organisation - in your area, about how to afford HIV care and treatment?

You will need to plan for the long term no matter where you live. 

____

If you want to teach overseas - make sure you qualify for doing so while in college here.

How many years more of college?  Get regular financing for your treatment, and over those years still in the States, you can build up a little reserve of medicine.  Do you already have a safety reserve?  It's both precarious, and a bit passive on your part, for you to be thinking that the ONLY reason your HIV is successfully treated is by being in the study.  Plan now for how to access and continue your successful treatment when the study ends...

The HIV infection does not block your future plans but it does require some active preparation and strategy...

You won't know what is possible about a supply of meds until you are plugged into the system in a better way than only through a study...

Also, there is a chance some countries you might eventually teach in, while allow you into their national health plans.  Or, that the local price of meds will be within your ability to pay, out of pocket.

___

Language teachers who are NOT professional language teachers, with credentials and experience, are not going to get high salaries in "cheap countries", by the way. 

If you want to teach abroad, as a 1 or 2 year experience, then you don't need to have a teaching diploma but also you won't get the plum jobs and decent pay.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:52:08 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Online mecch

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:54:28 AM »
I assume you mean you want to teach English in these countries.

And you want to prepare in advance by learning a foreign language in college.  What languages have you studied so far, and to what level?

Does you college have a foreign language requirement for graduation, and what level must be reached?

If you plan to teach English, but not study "english teaching" in college, it would be a good idea to get some courses in English grammar.  Or, to thoroughly study a foreign language, so you are thinking about grammar systems, and language learning, and can more easily adapt to teaching English.

French is a good language for future English teachers because there are a lot of similarities in the grammar and the vocab. 

Spanish or Chinese would be good generally because of how much they are spoken in the world.  And so many interesting places to visit and speak the language.

Chinese or Arabic would be good for native English speakers to learn, because you learn to hear and make a lot of new sounds.  Teaching English to Arabic speakers is often easier than some other native speakers.  Because they hear everything and speaking improves quickly.  Also a lot of the students you might teach would know Arabic and French so they have higher language awareness than monolingual students.

As for German, there is only Germany, Austria, Switzerland where its spoken in the street so learning German in preparation to work abroad doesn't seem that interesting. (Not to say it isn't a good language to learn - but for your purposes....)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:10:48 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Online mecch

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:17:17 AM »
Of course, maybe you don't plan on teaching, but working in something else in these countries. 

What is your major and what do you want to do for work in the so-called "cheap" countries you imagine.

Or, do you mean to work in the States, save enough, and travel and live abroad for awhile without working, with your savings? (There are no "cheap" German-speaking countries.)

If that is the case, then you will find plenty of places to go to where having HIV won't be a problem, but you'll need your funds AND your medicine, brought from the US, or bought out of pocket locally..

_____

Welcome to the forum and hope I gave you some useful info or ideas...

Offline xasxas

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
I live and work abroad, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Medical care in the US and many developed countries are ludicrously expensive and not indicative of costs worldwide.   

I live in Thailand and I pay my medical costs out of pocket without it being a huge drag on my finances.

This is greatly helped by the fact that many of the drugs are available at greatly reduced cost.  I can get Atripla at less than a $100 for a month's supply and a Atripla generic at around $35.  I am pretty sure many drugs are available at reduced prices throughout much of the developing world as the drug manufacturers knock down the prices to more reasonable levels to allow broader access (and also because the marginal cost of manufacturing these drugs is nil).

Moreover, private clinics aren't very expensive at around $50 to $100 per visit.  (I am relatively healthy and only end up going once every six months to my ID doc.)

I mention this not to knock the US but to bring home the point that if you do a bit of research and planning, you can still be adventurous and live a full life.  It would be a shame to give up on all the things you want to do because you feel discouraged by this condition.

Offline pittman

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:09:29 AM »
I'll echo mecch, (Swiss Dude?) and say that my English improved significantly after learning to speak French.  I think English is easier to get started in, but much harder to perfect, while French has a steeper learning curve, but once past that, easier to perfect as it actually pretty much follows its own rules.

You should at a minimum start some volunteering with some English as a Second Language (ESL) classes directed at immigrants. They often look for helpers/volunteers.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.