POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 02:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24265
  • Latest: Ngthy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650086
  • Total Topics: 49623
  • Online Today: 218
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Piercing with stud needle and unprotected sex  (Read 641 times)

Offline silentblasphemy

• Standard
Piercing with stud needle and unprotected sex
« on: May 19, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
Hello

I am a 19 year old male. I became sexually active in September 2013 in a securely monogamous relationship with my childhood friend and had always used protection even during oral sex. We both thought it was a good idea to get tested nonetheless so we went for an HIV test on 5 December 2013. Both were negative on HIV 1 and 2 and P24 antigen combo test (CMIA). neither of us had any exposure to any risk activity at least 6 months prior to that so that test was conclusive.

on 28th january 2014, my girlfriend got her ears pierced. NOTE - there was no gun used. they said professionals dont use guns. they pierced her ears with an earring stud itself which they then fixed into her ear and let it stay for a week. then she went a week later and got decorative ear studs from the same store and they discarded the old stud.

Here begins the problem - I became complacent and oblivious of the fact that she got pierced and we had unprotected sex on 17th february 2014. We also had unprotected oral sex 3 times (I received, NEVER gave).

When i read that piercing carries some risk for transmission, i got really scared. especially because if she gets infected, then I will be too because her viral load would be really high in the first few days ( I researched this on your forum) and the gap between 28 Jan and 17 Feb is merely 20 days. This means if she has it, I have it.

Scared, I got tested for hiv 10 weeks after my unprotected vaginal sex incident ie on 6 may. Negative. (However, only 20 days had passed since the unprotected oral sex)

My girlfriend got tested on 12th May, 3.5 months after the piercing, negative result.

Specifically my questions are -

1) What is the probability of her getting HIV from the piercing with a stud which they fixed onto her ear (what if they dont use new studs to pierce and use the old ones for each client. I am from India, not all shops here may follow awesome standards of cleanliness) ?
If a needle stick injury can cause HIV to healthcare workers, isnt this the same thing?

2) She has been tested at 3.5 months post exposure, and came back negative. That should be conclusive however there are many reports online which say that rarely it may take 6 months to develop antibodies. Should this test be considered medically conclusive? This 6 month thing is most confusing and concerning.

3) I have tested negative after 10 weeks of the unprotected vaginal sex. Should I be worried about 'receiving oral sex' still being in the window period? should i get retested at 3 months?

4) Please note - HIV 1 and 2 Antibody and P24 antigen tests COMBO were used all the times. Are these tests fully accurate?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Piercing with stud needle and unprotected sex
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
1) What is the probability of her getting HIV from the piercing with a stud which they fixed onto her ear (what if they dont use new studs to pierce and use the old ones for each client. I am from India, not all shops here may follow awesome standards of cleanliness) ?
If a needle stick injury can cause HIV to healthcare workers, isnt this the same thing?

HIV is far to fragile to be transmitted from ear piercing . HIV is damaged when exposed to temperature and ph levels outside the human body and is rendered unable to infect .

2) She has been tested at 3.5 months post exposure, and came back negative. That should be conclusive however there are many reports online which say that rarely it may take 6 months to develop antibodies. Should this test be considered medically conclusive? This 6 month thing is most confusing and concerning

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

3) I have tested negative after 10 weeks of the unprotected vaginal sex. Should I be worried about 'receiving oral sex' still being in the window period? should i get retested at 3 months?

A negative test must be confirmed at 3 months

4) Please note - HIV 1 and 2 Antibody and P24 antigen tests COMBO were used all the times. Are these tests fully accurate?

The test you used are accurate

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Offline silentblasphemy

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
Thanks.

First, if my gf already tested negative after 3.5 months after the piercing anyway, Im safe right? no need for further testing?

second, merely out of curiousity, If a needle stick injury can cause HIV to healthcare workers, isnt this the same thing?as in, even in that, there should be no transmission, but that happens right? to healthcare workers/

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
Thanks.

First, if my gf already tested negative after 3.5 months after the piercing anyway, Im safe right? no need for further testing?

second, merely out of curiousity, If a needle stick injury can cause HIV to healthcare workers, isnt this the same thing?as in, even in that, there should be no transmission, but that happens right? to healthcare workers/

The only HIV test that matter are the one you take 3 months past an exposure so I have no comment on your GF's test results . If you are having unprotected sex with your GF I would tell you to test because its a risk for HIV . You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. I do not you or your GF so all I can say in good conscience is her HIV status has nothing to do with yours .

IV drug rigs are hollow and the syringe is in a low oxygen environment and that's is why sharing needles is a risk for HIV ... it does not mean pins or knitting needles LOL . 
Even Iv drug rigs are only infectious for a short period of time because HIV really is that fragile . HIV is instantly damaged outside the human body and not infectious in the manner you are concerned with .

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
Thanks.

The needles used in piercing are solid needles, whereas the needles used with syringes are hollow and could harbor HIV for a brief period of time, thereby transmitting the virus in very special circumstances.

Joe

Offline silentblasphemy

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:32:40 PM »
thanks a lot guys, it is a great relief.

Finally, this will be my last post. For further testing, can i safely disregard the 6 month window period as listed by some other forums? As in, I don't think I have a deficient immune system to take 6 months for the antibodies. So 3 months is final for the future as well , right sir? do you encounter cases of 6 month seroconversion in your personal experience?

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »
A negative result at 3 months, is considered conclusive by the CDC and there is no need of testing beyond that period, assuming there is no new risk.

Piercing is not a risk for HIV transmission, so neither of you have had any risk.  You are not going to mysteriously become positive, so you can safely move on.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.