POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 03:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632064
  • Total Topics: 47855
  • Online Today: 201
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS in America  (Read 446 times)

Offline vertigo

AIDS in America
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
Interesting story in the New Republic on why AIDS hit so hard in the US:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117691/aids-hit-united-states-harder-other-developed-countries-why

Beyond just the historical context, the article says that the epicenter for new infections is in the American South.

Offline wolfter

Re: AIDS in America
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
Although informative, I think a lot of the reasoning was over simplified. 

I've used this example before;  growing up in a rural southern Ohio community, my gay friends and I had no fear and little knowledge of the gay plague that was attacking larger "gay" cities.  There were no discussions about the virus and we didn't have the modern day resources to learn about it.  We only saw an occassional blip here and there in the media.

We NEVER dreamt this unknown plague was slowing creeping across the nation, infecting some bands of gay people.  Stigma was so great, that even after diagnosis, it was such a deep seated secret that the virus continued to be passed on.  We were just getting over the shame of gayness and finally enjoying copious amounts of sex.  Casual sex was no longer shameful, but rather enjoyful.

I know of only 1 other gay man from our circle that still is living.  By the time society realized this wasn't just a big city issue; it was too late.  I'm certain that scenario played out across the land.  We pretty much had our own patient zero.  A friend  couple of years older than me moved to SF in the early 80's and returned home a few years later.  He returned gorgeous as ever and resumed the previous lifestyle.

He was the first person to die and then they started dropping enmasse.  Back then, if you slept with one man, you pretty much slept with every gay man in the tri-county area.

wolfie
productivity breeds content

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
The article is correct about the Haiti-gay vacation spot connection. I was friends in the 90's with a guy who was an ex-Studio 54 era queen, so he was ~25 years older than me (rather wealthy jet set type) and his group used to regularly go down to Haiti in the 1970's. So that could explain the NYC explosion. Coupled with the amount of San Francisco/LA folks that would fly into NYC for parties pre-circuit days at places like Flamingo and The Saint and you had easy bi-coastal infections in large numbers early on. And then as the article states you see a slightly smaller UK/US connection -- my Studio 54 friend was actually from London originally and flew back and forth there for work and family, etc.

As far as the "clustering effect" one can see that even today -- in Philadelphia infections are tracked down to zip code areas and vary wildly across the city. Very easy to see on a map in a place comprising only 140 sq. miles.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 01:05:32 AM »
Back then, if you slept with one man, you pretty much slept with every gay man in the tri-county area.

wolfie

This is still very true for Louisville.  I think there are about a million people in the entire metro area.  I swear it seems we've all shared the same partners and tricks.  If you had dinner with 5 gay men here, it would be very likely at least 2 of you had sex or dated the same guy.  And, another fucked him, but didn't know his name-- so he has no idea who you're talking about. 

Anyway, very interesting article.  Before it was mentioned, I kept thinking of how the Reagan administration ignored the growing fire and I kept thinking about the needle exchange policies.  I did wonder about the AIDS-death reporting methods in the various countries.  The stats about those in Europe being on HAART more than Americans also made me wonder.  I thought they still required a patient to get to 350 before paying for meds-- although I think that's changing?  Perhaps we haven't been pushing 500 and then for meds for all long enough to make a difference in those figures.  My point is I thought we would have a higher percentage on HAART, because we didn't have a certain threshold in order to have meds covered.  Perhaps it is other European countries that had that threshold and I'm mistaking these countries for those. 

Offline eric48

• @HIVPharmaCure & tinyurl.com/HIVPharmaCure
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
Thanks Vertigo for the link

In Western Europe death directly due to AIDS is indeed becoming really low, but when you include Eastern Europe, then the figures are not so good

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/activities/surveillance/hiv/Documents/report_eurohiv_endyear_2006.pdf

I could not find more recent data, at least in one only document

Table 24 sums up deaths

It really shows how the epidemics has spread in IDUs of former Soviet Union

One growing concern is clusters in sub communities through Apps (Grinder...)

So in the US the epicenter is moving South and Europe moving East ...

Eric

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.