POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 06:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650141
  • Total Topics: 49630
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 111
Total: 115

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Missed a night of Atripla. I have Stribild. Should I take it?  (Read 225 times)

Offline SaveMeOprah

Missed a night of Atripla. I have Stribild. Should I take it?
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »
Long story short... I have been on Atripla for about four months. Today I was going to refill my prescription but by the time I got off from work the pharmacy was closed. Now I have to wait until tomorrow morning even though I take Atripla every night at 11pm. I have missed one dose since starting treatment in september. However, I have Stribild in my medicine cabinet. Should I take one dose of Stribild only for tonight. I think it would be safer to take one dose of a different antiretroviral than to take nothing at all. I would take one dose of Stribild, and than one does of Atripla tomorrow moring. And then go back to my regular routine tomorrow night. That would be three doses of antiretroviral in 24 hours. But better safe than sorry, I say. i don't want to build resistance.  What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:27:53 PM by SaveMeOprah »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Missed a night of Atripla. I have Stribild. Should I take it?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Missing one dose of Atripla is not going to harm you, just donít make a habit of it . Take your dose tomorrow night and forget about the Stribild Ö its not necessary . Atripla has a long half life so like I said Ö. missing a dose on a blue moon is no big deal .

Offline SaveMeOprah

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »
Are you sure. What is the worst that Stibild can do? And is taking NOTHING better than taking Stribild for one night?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
Im am absolutely 100% confident that my advice is sound . Just take your Atripla tomorrow night and do not stress over this .

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:52 PM »
Atripla has been studied (along with some other meds) and what has been found is that 95% or greater adherence will still result in successful therapy. Atripla has been even further studied in the FOTO study which has reviewed taking Atripla five days on and then two days off. This schedule was studied for the purposes of 1) seeing if med levels would stay at appropriate levels, while 2) reducing the cost of the medications needed (taking it fewer days results in smaller cost per month) and 3) reducing side effects. While little difference was seen in side effects, the plan of 5on-2off was successful and helped confirmed that >95% adherence would result in successful treatment.

The gist of all this is that missing one day of meds, especially Atripla, will not allow HIV to gain any foothold at all.

What is the worst that Stibild can do?
However, I would point out that switching out to another med for one day is a terrible idea. Stribild and Atripla are comprised of different meds. While I seriously doubt that taking on day of Stribild would cause any resistance to happen to those drugs, taking one day of different meds and exposing the HIV in your system to those meds for such a short duration is definitely not recommended.

And is taking NOTHING better than taking Stribild for one night?
Yes.
You skipped a med. end of story. Now get back on schedule tomorrow.  ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline AusShep

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »
good advice above, but I'd like to add that you really should start refilling your prescriptions 3-4 days early until you build up a contingency supply so this doesn't happen again.

It sucks if you, the pharmacy, or insurance company causes a delay, or if you'll be out of town when a refill is due if you let yourself run out every time.  You can build up a one month contingency in a year pretty easily.

Offline eric48

• @HIVPharmaCure & tinyurl.com/HIVPharmaCure
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 04:12:53 AM »
Since Mikie mentionned FOTO, I hereby provide a link to it

www.tinyurl.com/HPC-FOTO
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD; CD4 > 1000; CD4/CD8 ~ 2.0   safety stock : 3 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: NCT02157311 = 4d. ON, 3d. OFF)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.