POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 06:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650433
  • Total Topics: 49658
  • Online Today: 165
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 90
Total: 94

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: simplifying to TRUVADA + ISENTRESS  (Read 411 times)

Offline hivtalian

simplifying to TRUVADA + ISENTRESS
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
Hi guys,
just to know if anyone's in this combo, not for side effects (I was already on these 2 drugs but together with Prezista and Norvir) but because after being used to take 4 drugs a day, going to two makes me a bit nervous about efficacy on VL and CD4... :/

Started truv + isent + prez + norv 4 months ago for the treatment of an acute infection (bad flu, headache etc).
Went to >500k VL and 590 CD4 to 59 VL and 900 CD4  in 4 months.

Thanks to share any experiences...

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: simplifying to TRUVADA + ISENTRESS
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »
If I recall correctly, you went on a super combo of several drugs because you started treatment in seroconversion before the strain was tested for resistance.

If I understand the treatment decisions, the need for multi drug (more than 3) was NOT because you had a tough seroconversion. It was specially because it was treatment so fast.

Your new combo is 3 drugs.  Not 2.  Truvada is 2 drugs.  You are going on a standard 3 drug combo now.

I am on truvada isentress. I have zero side effects so far. I had side effects with other combos.  CNS side effects from Sustiva-based combo.  Then I was allergic to molecules in others.  Mildly.  Rashes. 

So far so good a few years on truvada isentress.

As far as I know, its medium on the CD4s.  I think there are other treatments that are noted to be especially effective for increasing CD4s. BUT, you have 900 CD4 and this is therefore not an issue for you.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hivtalian

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
Mecch,
I'm kind of happy to get a message from you, because of some past issues that made me contrast with your opinions.

To be honest, your past messages made me pretty depressed and unwilling to attend this forum anymore.
Maybe it's about language which is not mine, maybe writing things without knowing each other can be misleading, maybe your attitude is a bit more aggressive (maybe fot stimulating people? hopefully yes I must say)  and mine is more delicate and I felt kind of aggressed without thinking of having been rude to anyone.

the situation we all have to live with sometimes makes us particularly sensitive concerning some issues.
Add to this that I'm a newbie with all the pro and contra.
I also am kind of in love with my physician who talks a lot with me and I really feel she takes good care of me. And it's like you said, the super combo was her decision before virus genotyping to make me start asap. She 's a very big fan of the early therapy in the acute infection.

So thank you for your answer, it meant a lot to me, it's what this forum should be about: helping and sharing.

I hope to go on sharing and discussing with you and all the other guys here, in a constructive way, like this.

And let's touch wood concerning my next blood sample in 1 month:) I really think this is a good combo! (the alternative would have been Complera, but my sympathy goes to isentress....so I decided for this one;)

hugs

Offline vertigo

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »
I am on Isentress/Truvada, and it works great.  Your previous regime was overkill.  I realize that you wanted to start meds immediately, without waiting for genotype results, hence your doctor added Prezista/Norvir.  But if no resistance was detected then there was no reason to keep it.

You should be aware that Isentress doesn't have the high genetic barrier to resistance that Prezista and the other PI's do, meaning that you need to be carefully adherent to your meds.  But this combo is perfectly sufficient to keep the virus in check.  Since Norvir has a bunch of drug interaction issues, and the PI's in general have been associated with increased risk for diabetes, why keep taking them if you don't have to?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.