Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Can someone explain how pharmcies work in the UK and Ireland?

<< < (2/2)

Ann:
Trai,

You do need a script in the UK to get antibiotics - you must go through a doctor.

I'm in agreement with Blondie; your airline should have something in place for their employees who travel internationally. They won't expect people to never need medical attention/services while abroad so I'm sure there is some provision.

Also, I do know that you won't be turned away from an emergency room, so you always have that option too. You might be charged, depending on what sort of visa you travel under and it might vary from hospital to hospital. I know a person who was staying on the Rock on a regular visitor's visa and she was treated twice for anaphylactic shock - free of charge. (she found out the hard way that she's allergic to peanuts!)

Ann
(PS, Cliff is also correct that you can go to an hiv clinic (usually in the GUM department) and be treated for free BUT... depending on how busy the clinic is, you might have a long wait and you might not be able to get a walk-in appointment at all. The way the individual clinics are run can vary quite a bit, so it would be wise to call ahead and make arrangements.

trai:
Thanks cliff and anne....since I am not on HIV meds...that is not the issue...was just curious in case other things comes up.  Yep we do have insurance...however I am not yet covered since I have not been there 6 months yet.

Ann:
Trai,

You should still be able to be seen by a doc in an hiv clinic, whether or not you are on meds.

Ann

trai:
Anyhow....I am already back home in Atlanta...caught the next flight to Atlanta after I got back to Newark from Scotland...but I had started to get a minor infection....so it got me to thinking about that for now...until I get my company insurance.    Already been to my doctor and all is well...antibiotics and all.

But the info is useful, for my future reference.

Incidentally I do not use visa for anywhere I go...hell they do not even look at my passport when I enter or leave other then in Paris or China.  ( and they only seem to look in China...I just have to have a work visa for France just in case they should decide to look.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version