POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643307
  • Total Topics: 48947
  • Online Today: 275
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are you superhero fit?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline buginme2

Are you superhero fit?
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »
This article in Men's Journal

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/building-a-bigger-action-hero-20140418

Got me thinking about how American men now view fitness and athleticism. It used to be that women's bodies were objectified...now it's really men that are objectified. 

Do you feel pressure to "keep up" or maintain with the pack?  If you do, is it an even play field?  I work out every fucking day and while I'm fit I'm not Captain America fit...which according to the article is understandable since everyone in Hollywood seems to be on steroids and hgh and testosterone. 

Funny how what is considered ideal and attractive changes over time.

Offline zach

• not fade away
Re: Are you superhero fit?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
my entire life i've been super fit, somewhat addicted to endurance sports, and the endorphine high. losing that has been particularly humbling since i've been DXd

never tried for bulk, always lean swimmers build, and man did i have one, tan to go with it

advantage is, when you've had it, the cut never goes away, even sick, i look wiry and sinewy. i can get it back when i'm able, maybe not marvel superhero, but nonetheless. i think everyone should strive for the highest level of fitness their bodies can achieve

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:23:38 PM by zach »
gonna go up to the mountain, for to find a little peace
looking over the valley, for the beauty i see
out across the hills, forevermore

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
Were did you pic go zack ? . You do seem super fit and anyone would be proud to take care of themselves as well as you have  . I was super Mario fit for awhile but lost the gut and improved my eating habits, feel lots better for it  .

Offline zach

• not fade away
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:39:16 PM »
 ::) thought maybe it was arrogant, pretentious, i dunno, thought i got carried away

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
::) thought maybe it was arrogant, pretentious, i dunno, thought i got carried away

Modesty does not suit you ... Im 52 and just starting to get abs for the first time but Im past my sale by date for pic posting . As long as there is no nudity post them if you got them .

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »

Well you thought wrong.  That pic of your chest got my heart to a fluttering.  (need emoticon that denotes lust)

Joe

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »
OK Ford ... I have seen you looking at this thread ... show us what you got . For scientific reasons only of course . 

Offline zach

• not fade away
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 07:07:32 PM »
tell you what... bod pics, lets see em everybody, then i'll follow

Online WillyWump

• Fall is in the air!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 07:13:29 PM »

I've pretty much gone to hell in a handbasket over the past year...sigh.

Ps- yall like my toilet?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »

Ps- yall like my toilet?

But you have lost SOME weight and that is to be applauded .

Offline AusShep

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »

Ps- yall like my toilet?

And........  You've officially scared me off from posting a pic in this thread 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
Are you superhero fit?

Why, yes... yes I am.

Wolverine (2) by GSOgymrat, on Flickr

Kidding... and I don't look like that at the moment. Today was my first day back to the gym in two months. I torn my left oblique abdominal muscle and it has taken this long to heal. I've been working 60 hours per week, under a great deal of stress lately and not being able to workout has made things difficult because exercise is my primary stress relief. I am really, really happy to be exercising again because my other tools for stress management don't work as well as exercise.

I don't feel pressure to "keep up or maintain with the pack." I might feel differently if I was single and felt the need to impress someone, or if I was an action star and someone was paying me millions of dollars to look crazy fit. Staying in shape for me at this point is about maintaining bone density, avoiding a heart attack or stroke and preventing cancer, diabetes and mental health problems. Sure I want to look my best but I'm really just trying to stay healthy and challenge myself. My father is 90 years old, still walks a half mile a day and is sharp as a tack. I think his commitment to exercise has a lot to do with that.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 07:29:48 PM »

Ps- yall like my toilet?

Bottle of lotion next to computer for those pesky dry fingers.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
Poor guy has to give himself a reach around just to pee .

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
Cary Grant aged well and it wasn't about an age-defying buff body.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
I was watching the new season of Mad Men and Jon Hamm is still sexy and hardly buff.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
I was watching the new season of Mad Men and Jon Hamm is still sexy and hardly buff.

Jon Hamm is super charismatic.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:14 PM »

Yes but Mad Men takes place in the 1960's. 

Like the article mentioned its ok not to be buff in a period piece but not a current piece.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
There was once a thread on here called "Utter Narcissism" that was quite fun until one particular person came roaring in and um...bottomed out the thread by posting like 50,000 pics of himself.

Now that would be overdoing it and going overboard, but otherwise I thought it was great because most of us get pretty down on ourselves, our appearance, etc.  It was good to have a thread that highlighted our fabulousness.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »
There was once a thread on here called "Utter Narcissism" that was quite fun until one particular person came roaring in and um...bottomed out the thread by posting like 50,000 pics of himself.

Ok, found it, going through it now. http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=14186.0

So many [attachment deleted by admin] ...  :(

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 12:09:34 AM »
I use to be very fit.  I would run the 5 mile loop around the park a few times a week.  I got to where I could do it without stopping, and I smoked then.  I was lifting weights and had my arms and chest big.  Need to get back to some of that.  I just pulled a muscle reaching down into a box.  It was a tall box, though..lol. 

Feeling pressure and speaking of narcissism-- Well, I do have some friends (all gay men) on Facebook who will post they are at the gym.  They will post, "Ass Day, Chest Day, Arms Day, Cardio Day, etc."  And, they post pics of themselves in the mirror.  While that is soooo annoying and narcissistic, I do feel pressure.  One friend bulked up.  He can post a period and get 200 likes.  He posted a pic of his car all washed, saying it needed it because of all the pollen.  Well, the pic was mostly him and you could barely make out the car in the background. 

So while I find their posts dripping in narcissism, I can't help thinking I do need to keep up.  I just promise to not post 100 body pics a week and all my check-ins at the gym.

Edited for spelling

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:07 AM »
I just pulled a muscle reaching down into a box.  It was a tall box, though..lol. 

Don't feel bad, Ted. Want to know how I tore my oblique abdominal? I sneezed. I sneezed and took myself out of the gym for two months. Aging sucks.

PS. It could have been worse though. A friend of my partner was walking along a beach in Mexico with her husband and he sneezed, had an aneurysm and dropped dead.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:16:33 AM by GSOgymrat »

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
One of the worst back injury's I had was from getting into the car and sitting down . I don't know how it is for other guys my age but in my case it just takes one wrong move and I can hurt myself . 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »

Ps- yall like my toilet?

Look how small the water closet door is....oh my. 
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
I've never had a desire to be superhero fit, I'm more of a supermodel fit kinda gurl. :o 

Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
I really hate this thread and that pic
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline buginme2

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
I really hate this thread and that pic

I should have titled this thread as something else.  It didn't really go the direction I anticipated.  I thought the article I posted was rather poignant with regards to changing norms in America on what is acceptable regarding a mans fitness level.  The article focuses on Hollywood and how in most studios today unless the person is playing a period piece (say Jon Hamm in Mad Men) they better be in great shape (and HGH, Steroids, T - shape, not "I go to the gym" in shape).   The Cary Grants of the past no longer exist. 

I wondered if this could be extrapolated to everyday life.  Is it the same in Corporate America?  In "your corporate America." 

Can you get ahead if your obese or even overweight or average?  Is there pressure where you work/live/love?  Do you feel like you live up to the standards of the current day?

There have been studies that good looking people are more successful than not.  I think this plays into that as well.  If someone is interviewing for a job and they are overweight and in competition with someone who is very fit who wins?

Offline mecch

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »
You work out everyday. Why don't you share your feelings and experiences in this area. Seems like you are asking a lot of general and open-ended questions but not expressing your personal experience.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
I should have titled this thread as something else.  It didn't really go the direction I anticipated.  I thought the article I posted was rather poignant with regards to changing norms in America on what is acceptable regarding a mans fitness level.  The article focuses on Hollywood and how in most studios today unless the person is playing a period piece (say Jon Hamm in Mad Men) they better be in great shape (and HGH, Steroids, T - shape, not "I go to the gym" in shape).   The Cary Grants of the past no longer exist. 

I wondered if this could be extrapolated to everyday life.  Is it the same in Corporate America?  In "your corporate America." 

Can you get ahead if your obese or even overweight or average?  Is there pressure where you work/live/love?  Do you feel like you live up to the standards of the current day?

There have been studies that good looking people are more successful than not.  I think this plays into that as well.  If someone is interviewing for a job and they are overweight and in competition with someone who is very fit who wins?

1.  I would never equate Hollywood to "norms" in America.
2.  I see no evidence of being fit giving anyone an advantage in my corporate setting.
3.  I have hired many folks and physical appearance hasn't played a role (at least, I hope not -- I suppose some folks could be sub-consciously prone to slant one way)

Again -- Hollywood does NOT equal the real world -- now or ever, me thinks.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline wolfter

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:44 PM »
How could a thread aptly titled not go off in our own warped dimension? 

This topic encompasses so many issues that it's too broad to focus too deeply upon.

I'll try and address a couple of my initial thoughts.

1)  Do gay men have an almost obsession in external appearances?  Of course!  But so do straight men.  Not sure when the tide turned, perhaps men got tired of dying as soon as they retired.  I see men in general being concerned with being healthy in addition to looking good. 

2)  Who determines what constitutes a healthy look?  I've seriously enjoyed observing my close family members posting pics and commenting about how much weight they've lost since Winter.  It occurred to me that a lot of this is family dynamics and a system of attitudes and beliefs.  Isn't necessarily wrong until it creates an unrealistic problem for one of the participants.

3)  An opinion; humans are simply an educated species of animals.  Many of us are driven by an internal sex drive.  Dogs and cats have no shame in doing it in front of the world in bright sunshine.  We're different simply because of societal norms.  :)  and evolution.  lmao

4)  edited before I posted as I don't want to appear slutty. 8)

greg

Offline Theyer

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
As with a lot off things its at the extremes where we see the harm done.

If you have had close contact with the extreme through work or personal health and have a half way decent analytic brain then the title off Men,s Health " becomes reaally funny and subject to a , what I think is called in the USA a class action for lying bullshit.

Narcissism Nights would be a good alternative.

IMOSHO
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »

Fuck all this other crap, I WANT TO SEE THE PIC ZACH! 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Theyer

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »

My Spring is in the air , wonderful , now Zack be the gentleman you are and satisfy this Lovely  Ladies request.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »

I do believe that Miss Betty is right -- I mean how can we provide the proper advice/support if we don't have ALL THE FACTS!!  Pic please.......   and not a little avatar one -- thank you for your cooperation!

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »

Ps- yall like my toilet?

I have not laughed this hard in weeks. Look at his smile !! He is pleased as punch.
Thank you WW.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.