Main Forums > Living With HIV

FOTO...

(1/5) > >>

SouthSam7:
I have had extreme fatigue, tiredness, sleepiness, hypersomnia since I started meds, but lately it's been a lot worse.  I've gone to the doctor with my complaints many times and they haven't given me anything to help. 

While awaiting my sleep study (I don't have much hope), I am again interested in FOTO to possibly reduce medicine-related fatigue.  FOTO stands for four on, three off, or five on, two off, strategy for taking medicine. 

Does anyone in here have any personal experiences with FOTO and/or extreme (debilitating) fatigue and/or treatments?

Thank you very much.

Sam

SouthSam7:
I hope to get some real-life experiences from you all, but until then, here is an article about a FOTO study that seems promising: http://crine.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/28/files/2013/11/2004-FOTO-abstract.pdf

zach:
the reply i left i edited away. a mod deleted it appropriately. i don't know enough about that strategy to comment

AusShep:
I've had many of your symptoms, in the end I think depression was probably more to blame than my meds.  I'd have fatigue, followed by insomnia, followed by being in bed for 14 hours, then tired and weak all day, before crashing early and sleeping another 12 hours to be tired again all day... This went on for about 6 months, with no treatment change before/after.  You've had these symptoms for years though...?

Some doctors seem so afraid of drug seeking behavior that they shy away from treating legitimate issues...  Have you tried switching HIV meds or to another doctor who will listen to your problems?  This would be my first and second choice after ensuring it's not really depression or another medical issue.

FOTO kind of scares me, mostly due to some friends drug holiday failures, so I realize that isn't a legitimate reason to dissuade one from a legitimate on/off approach.  But newer studies that also suggest low level resistance may build up on good but less than perfect adherence also gives me pause. 

Some follow ups to FOTO have shown that side effects didn't really diminish, which is what you're looking for, although they were much more preferred as far as dosing by the patients, and treatment failure wasn't statistically worse.  I haven't seen anything new on this in so long, it seems like the one pill a day better tolerated combinations are getting a lot more emphasis than the short drug holiday approach (notwithstanding the long term infrequent dosing schedules) 

Whatever you do, good luck with getting improvements to your side effects, I know how miserable they can be.

BoiBoy:

--- Quote from: SouthSam7 on April 21, 2014, 01:43:45 PM ---I have had extreme fatigue, tiredness, sleepiness, hypersomnia since I started meds, but lately it's been a lot worse.  I've gone to the doctor with my complaints many times and they haven't given me anything to help. 

While awaiting my sleep study (I don't have much hope), I am again interested in FOTO to possibly reduce medicine-related fatigue.  FOTO stands for four on, three off, or five on, two off, strategy for taking medicine. 

Does anyone in here have any personal experiences with FOTO and/or extreme (debilitating) fatigue and/or treatments?

Thank you very much.

Sam

--- End quote ---

I don't have any experience with meds but I hope that this is something I can avoid once I start taking them.
I hope you find relief as well. I will be praying for you and your overall well-being.
No one should have to feel horrible just because they're trying to get better... especially with sleep issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version