POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:40:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649847
  • Total Topics: 49598
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 112
Total: 115

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What the other side is thinking  (Read 708 times)

Offline buginme2

What the other side is thinking
« on: April 25, 2014, 05:41:54 AM »
Mark King made a video interviewing 4 HIV negative gay men about their feelings about HIV and HIV positive gay men.  Worth a look at, kind of interesting

http://huff.to/1iRV767
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline emeraldize

Re: What the other side is thinking
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
While the content is interesting and diverse, Mark needs help in editing with sound. It turned a well-intentioned effort into a an acoustic challenge. Critique aside, thank you for posting this.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
i watched this and wondered: just how many HIV - MSM understand UD and PrEP? These men seemed much much more educated than the vast majority of HIV- MSM that I have spoken with in my area.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
The one most likely to end up HIV+ is the only one who said he'd never sleep with someone who told him they were positive.  He then went on to say that he believes people when they indicate they're negative. 
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline Bizkits

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
The one most likely to end up HIV+ is the only one who said he'd never sleep with someone who told him they were positive.  He then went on to say that he believes people when they indicate they're negative. 

That's what got me. (He told me he was neg). I never had a problem with poz guys, especially ones that were well educated about their condition and UD. I always almost preferred to be with poz/UD guys.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
He then went on to say that he believes people when they indicate they're negative.
every once in a while I catch some HIV-related agency post on FB or twitter some caution about first asking the status of a potential partner. I ALWAYS respond about how that is the worst advice imaginable. If 25% or so of those who are positive don't even know, then asking about about a status is like spitting in the wind - it'll come back to hit you in the face!

Never trust someone who tells you they are negative. They may not know, or they may only be negative as far as their last test.

Although I wonder, should you trust someone who discloses being positive and says that they are undetectable? Are those people more trustworthy and/or knowledgeable so you could accept them at their word?
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »

Although I wonder, should you trust someone who discloses being positive and says that they are undetectable? Are those people more trustworthy and/or knowledgeable so you could accept them at their word?

Strictly a guess, but I would imagine that to be true.  Someone comfortable enough in their own skin to disclose their status probably wouldn't lie about being UD.  If so, they'd probably be likely to just lie about their status.

Not much difference when being with another UD pozzie who says bareback sex is safe and they're not infected with any other virus.  :)  Life is a cost/benefit analysis.  ;)
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline Bizkits

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
Strictly a guess, but I would imagine that to be true.  Someone comfortable enough in their own skin to disclose their status probably wouldn't lie about being UD.  If so, they'd probably be likely to just lie about their status.

Not much difference when being with another UD pozzie who says bareback sex is safe and they're not infected with any other virus.  :)  Life is a cost/benefit analysis.  ;)

I tend to believe there is some truth to that, absolutely. However, I have to wonder nowadays with "UD" being more widely heard and used that that is only thing people are worried about? Like you said, there are other things besides hiv. Also, I've even heard some say "UD" is almost like being neg. If that becomes more and more accepted, could your last VL test pseudo-replace your last hiv test?

Again, like you said, someone comfortable enough in their own skin to say they're poz and UD likely knows that.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
I'm making another assumption here but if a person is truly UD, that means they're probably under the care of a doctor who is thoroughly testing for other diseases.  My doctor does as I'm quite honest about my sexual hookups dates.

I'm an old fashioned gurl, if I'm strictly dating someone for the evening, I'm leaving nothing to trust and insisting upon safer sex.  On the second date?  that's a toss up.  :)

Offline Bizkits

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
I'm making another assumption here but if a person is truly UD, that means they're probably under the care of a doctor who is thoroughly testing for other diseases.  My doctor does as I'm quite honest about my sexual hookups dates.

I'm an old fashioned gurl, if I'm strictly dating someone for the evening, I'm leaving nothing to trust and insisting upon safer sex.  On the second date?  that's a toss up.  :)

Lol yeah, I hear ya. I can honestly say I don't know and doubt I'm UD at this point as I've only been on meds for a week and a half...my next labs aren't until 5/19. I'd tell someone that too (if we were heading towards a...um...date...yeah, date).  My doc has also tested for everything under the sun. When I first started hanging out with my now partner, he was already poz and had been for a number of years. I guess I've learned the term now serosorting because that's what he did. I didn't understand that at all until now. (And if you're thinking to yourself well if he serosorted, how did he end up with you, being neg at the time? Long story). As far as things being a toss up, well, I don't know that I'd leave it to chance either with someone who I didn't know and trust and who didn't truly know their status.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.