POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 642889
  • Total Topics: 48909
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: the look  (Read 996 times)

Offline zach

• not fade away
the look
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
maybe you've seen this, maybe its old news. some of these pictures are incredibly poignant, others i don't think captured the exact moment he was looking for. i have always enjoyed the snapshot side of portrait photography, when you catch it, it can speak volumes.

recently i have dealt with all of my family, and lifelong family friends, really a whole town, down to the wal mart door greeter (not kidding)... being disclosed to in a way that i did not control or consent too. in a small town, the church hens have a gossip network that puts nsa to shame. in the past couple of weeks i have fielded visits from every drop of blood twice removed you can imagine. the apple pie is always appreciated, but an unexpected visit from a flock of aunts, well. like some sort of final goodbye. i have struggled to be understanding of the reactions. i've already processed the shock and moved on. they are still in the first steps asking why, of denial. this isn't what i wanted, but its where i'm at, it's my burden to come to terms with

i have a cousin, she is the youngest of our generation. i have no idea why but she has always looked up to me. she is so great. i would have told her. i didn't want her to find out this way. i gave her away at her wedding, she lost her father, one of my uncles. she could have asked someone else, but she asked me. i don't know how to put her back together now, just time.

http://news.distractify.com/people/man-photographs-loved-ones-as-he-tells-them-he-has-aids/
gonna go up to the mountain, for to find a little peace
looking over the valley, for the beauty i see
out across the hills, forevermore

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: the look
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »
I have seen those pics before ... they are very powerful in the emotions they show from grief to ones of strength and hopefulness .

I notice my relatives check me out overtime they see me .

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »
Keep on keeping on Zach , managing the others is hard work, little discussed and very important.I found out a lot about myself at the beginning had to do quite a reappraisal on wether  I was a violent person.   It is mad how many ways HOW ARE YOU can be asked and experienced.

There was one ,whose head would  tip to the left on the you , and the forhard would pucker in imagination the puckering forhead turned to surprise as the decapitated head spun off the neck Catherine wheeling blood over all.......

But mostly love and care , expressed by clumsy humans.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »
I would feel angry and manipulated if a friend or relative set me up this way, telling me they had a serious illness so they could use my emotional reaction as part of their art project.

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
I would feel angry and manipulated if a friend or relative set me up this way, telling me they had a serious illness so they could use my emotional reaction as part of their art project.

You know ... that's a point of view I did not consider and a good one at that .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Great point, I've seen these photos before and never considered that.  If you think about it, it does kinda make a mockery of being positive and disclosing.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline zach

• not fade away
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
totally agreed about the anger... that might be the angry he got picture he got from me. i don't think it makes a mockery or anything though. in one of the pictures, i feel the men are gay (could be flat wrong, its what i project) one looks so hurt, so caring. the other, older, seen it before, looks shocked and to me, about to reach out and slap the photographer

maybe i have a slightly different perspective. one of my sons is a photographer, went to school for journalism but has always leaned more towards the fine arts side. i planted that seed in him

telling however, and this didn't occur to me until your comment, he doesn't show a picture of himself. i think that would be equitable.

but, they are the ones that look at us, everytime. maybe this helps them a little, to see what we see. that moment is not the one i don't like though. its the ones that jeff talks about. its the every first glance when i see them, its remeasuring, its the forming opinions, how is he, before they ask me, how are you
gonna go up to the mountain, for to find a little peace
looking over the valley, for the beauty i see
out across the hills, forevermore

Offline Theyer

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »

Its my understanding from a small arts mag ARTS now/todaycannyremember  that he has full permission to show from the folk shown, lets hope he choose well and left out those who would not appreciate it. For real art honest maybe there should be two sets, this one,  and the one when he informs the subject off the art project .

A lot off artists are vampires when it comes to others "emotional reaction "
A lot off artists will have you wondering just how bad can it be ,  locked in a room with George Bush.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Theyer

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Slight digression, but its lovely the energy coming from your posts Zack ,   How are        you,?

Sorry Ist part true 2 part irresistible
l
Michael

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
And furthermore, "AIDS" is a very very loaded word especially to use with people who may not be so up-to-date.
If this person is not dying or in a bad way, its extremely manipulative.  I find the artistic gesture quite narcissistic, here.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline harleymc

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »
I'm with mecch on this one. This strikes me as a nasty manipulative body of work.
Who deliberately goes around causing pain then exploiting that pain for self promotion? Just plain evil, no redeeming features at all.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »
Zach sorry to hear you've had some nasty gossip mongers hurting your family. At least your family and community know who not to trust now.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Slight digression, but its lovely the energy coming from your posts Zack

This is exactly what I happened to say just yesterday - kid's got energy coming off him.

Good to see, er...hear, er....read.  Whatever.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »

I must be the odd man out on this one -- as I understand it the photographer's disclosure was real.  I am sure he thought quite a bit about how to tell his friends and family and was genuinely concerned about the reaction.  It is natural for any artist to express themselves through their art during the process and this was his way.  These portraits are very moving - I am sure they mean alot to him personally, and they have a strong social statement about disclosure (perhaps of any disease).
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45%  VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37%  VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39%   VL UD

Offline Theyer

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 06:15:53 AM »
The Bottom line is Art being a personal construct is selfish , has to be. To practice it intensely does not create the nicest group off people all ways. As a job with 60+ being the average week its tiring with not much left for ought else.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.