POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 11:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632647
  • Total Topics: 47922
  • Online Today: 288
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV+ and HepC pos  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Northsails

HIV+ and HepC pos
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:09:52 AM »
Hi all.

I was diagnosed HIV + at then end of last year and went onto Atripla HAART, which was suspended after 3 months to to liver toxicity. They've tested and re-tested a million things and it turns out I have Hep C.

Scared and confused.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks,
North

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: HIV+ and HepC pos
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:54:47 AM »
I was treated for hep C over ten years ago and the treatments have changed in the past few years. It is now possible in some cases to only treat for twelve weeks - I was treated for 52.

Some genotypes are easier to treat than others. For example, I had genotype 3a, which is one of the easier ones. I was "cured" - in medical parlance they call it a "sustained response". Other genotypes like 1b are harder to cure but the newer treatments are curing even that one.

In my case, the decision was taken to treat my hep C first, because if cured, it would leave my liver in better shape to deal with hiv meds and there would be no worries about adverse drug-interactions. After your experience with Atripla, they may do the same with you; treat your hep C first before putting you back on hiv meds. With your (pre-hiv-treatment) numbers that shouldn't be a problem.

You should check out our sister-site: HepMag.

HepMag also has forums like ours, which include a coinfection section where you can ask treatment questions. There are some knowledgeable people there. I don't know all that much about the newer treatments, but people there do.

You will have to register for an account to post in the HepMag forums as your membership here will not work there, although you can use the same username and other account details like email account.

Another very good website for coinfection information is hivandhepatitis.com. That was my go-to site ten years ago, long before HepMag existed. It's probably the best coinfection site out there.

Hang in there and try to not be scared. You stand a very good chance of achieving a sustained response/cure regardless of your genotype. It's not the easiest treatment side effect wise (another reason to treat the hcv first before going back on hiv meds), but if you get cured, it's well worth it. :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 04:55:50 AM »
Welcome North, off course you are scared and confused but Ann,s knowledge is excellent and like HIV treatment Hep treatment has improved dramatically.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Northsails

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »
Thank you Ann - useful advice. Still don't know the genotype or the gameplan. Getting frustrated that the process is taking so long. I'll be sure to get informed by registering with HepMag so I can ask the tight questions when the time comes.

Thank you Theyer for your support. In scary times like these, every bit helps.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »
Thank you Ann - useful advice. Still don't know the genotype or the gameplan. Getting frustrated that the process is taking so long. I'll be sure to get informed by registering with HepMag so I can ask the tight questions when the time comes.

Thank you Theyer for your support. In scary times like these, every bit helps.

Do you have a name to go to if God forbid something has gotton lost . If you are worried , by saying where what and when  the Test where was done then others may be able to give you an idea here. Plus you can just contact where it was done and ask . Plus .I like this one, Ah no news is good news enjoy life asap.....

How are you feeling now , day to day, ?
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.