POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2015, 08:16:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24845
  • Latest: Yaahiya
Stats
  • Total Posts: 657192
  • Total Topics: 50319
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I've Done It This Time  (Read 5983 times)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: I've Done It This Time
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
Except another pushy moderator with the other person's number lol.

I was just thinking the same thing Ö you have set me straight a time or two .

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
I was just thinking the same thing Ö you have set me straight a time or two .

We balance each other out I think.  We make a good team.  We definitely have to meet next summer/early fall.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »
Sounds like a good plan to me !

Offline mitch777

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »

M, thanks for that poem, it means more than you know, because it took your time and in today's world, time is a precious commodity.  Trust me, I am watching out.  I'm sick to death of not being able to go out when I want/need to.  Having to depend on others for transport sucks.  I mean, I am extremely fortunate that I have the housemate, and family I do. 

You're welcome but I must admit I was a bit stressed and cranky yesterday so I popped off that poem in 10 minutes during my second cocktail with a crappy migraine.  :-[  lol.

Jeff, promising her spankings was a bad move.  You need the spanking and Betty needs to be tied down. Hmm...this plan may not work either.

Betty, I really would have loved to see you on that cart shopping with one of those extended grab devices. I would bet you could become a world class expert in no time.

32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
I would love to have a cocktail.  Unfortunately, my housemate believes I have an issue with alcohol because of having issues with drugs in the past.  So I can't drink, though I do have a1/2 of a pint of Captain downstairs under my bed that I may crack into if my housemate goes to her meeting tonight (12step meeting)

M, it only took you 10 minutes to write that?  Wow, you're good. And I understand you want to tie me down and watch you give Jeff a spanking?

So my car won't start.  I should have been going out every couple days and starting it.  I was going to go through the drive through at my credit union. Oh well, not today lol.

I was thinking about how much faster my bones would heal if I would quit smoking.  So quitting has now become an idea.  Jeff, are you still not puffing? 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »
Iím still not puffing !

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »
Iím still not puffing !

Damn, good for you!  So, when I quit, I want hand-held support from you buddy lol.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
You got it !  . I think the big difference was I was ready to quit this time .

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2014, 04:24:28 AM »
I would love to have a cocktail.  Unfortunately, my housemate believes I have an issue with alcohol because of having issues with drugs in the past.  So I can't drink, though I do have a1/2 of a pint of Captain downstairs under my bed that I may crack into if my housemate goes to her meeting (12 -  step )

Betty this is a great outline for a sit - com ,  what happens next - house mate comes back fires up computer to see how Betty,s doing ? You have your cocktail dear.

Not puffing Jeff well done you.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mitch777

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »

M, it only took you 10 minutes to write that?  Wow, you're good. And I understand you want to tie me down and watch you give Jeff a spanking?

So my car won't start.  I should have been going out every couple days and starting it.  I was going to go through the drive through at my credit union. Oh well, not today lol.

Yes to both of your questions. lol. Oh,... and you should here me rap! (NOT!) tee he.

Good luck with getting your car started.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season Betty!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »
Michael, lol.  I don't believe my housemate looks at my computer, or the sites I post on.  And I did have that cocktail; in fact, I had two.  I made the last one a bit strong, I believe, because I slept straight through the night and didn't wake up when anyone got home, or when my housemate put her grandson on the pull out couch that's right outside my room lol.

M, happy holidays to you as well.  You are one of the most sweetest persons I know, and you truly deserve the best. 

I haven't done anything strange today.  My housemate's daughter's family came over for dinner, so I visited with them and wrote end of year grant stuff.  Yuck.  Tomorrow I see the orthopedist, late in the afternoon.  I believe I'm going to request an MRI on my whole leg to find out why there are these humps and my leg is now deformed.  Stay tuned....

Offline Theyer

« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:07 AM »
Michael, lol.  I don't believe my housemate looks at my computer, or the sites I post on.  And I did have that cocktail; in fact, I had two. 

Off coarse she does or will do , by accident maybe there will be an "intervention" you will be dragged off to a beige and grey Church Hall sat in a circle .......well
I am guessing you,ve been there
I like whiskey sours.
Kisses&hug
Michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Went to the appointment yesterday and was told something I was totally not ready for.  The doctor is now recommending that I get a rod in my leg.  My bone is healing curved.  I believe I am going to get a second opinion.  This just gets worse and worse, I wish it was all over (leg issues). 

I told a friend that maybe I should have everything below my waist should be cut off and I could get prostheses.  Then I could be another blade runner lol.

I am supposed to go back in two weeks. But, if I can get an appointment with another orthopedist, the appointment may not happen then.  I just want to be able to move around without severe pain. 

So, that's what's going on now.  I'm not too upset, just thoughtful.  Good vibes, feelings, prayers, whatever, are much appreciated!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »
Good vibes, prayer and a little whatever is heading your way . A second opinion is good, I would be really surprised if it varied too much from what you have heard already since you know for sure its not healing correctly . I wish I could make it all better but we can at least have a good laugh now and then on the phone and forget what ails us if just for a minute .

Hugs and squeezes .   

Offline mitch777

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »
Sorry to hear the latest news Betty. Ugh! I agree with Jeff on this but it never hurts to get another opinion.

On the plus side, I doubt you will have to worry about a rod breaking. You will be well on your way to becoming the $6 million dollar woman.

Sending you best thoughts that I can muster.  :-*

m.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, the other doctor will probably say the same thing.  I just wish my doctor had been more proactive in all this.  But, whatever.  I'm just tired of being in pain.  But, the more stuff I go through, the less shocked and taken aback at what I hear lol. At least when it involves my joints
Every move I make it's like I pop and crack all over, even when I breathe I have pops in my ribs.  It's crazy. 

I'm not going to stress about this the next couple days, or try not to for the whole weekend.  I was asked to be a speaker at a New Year's Eve Narcotics Anonymous dance.  I was asked to talk about what pills can do to a person, as a lot of addicts are running to doctors seeking (what else) Xanax and Vicodin.  So I may do that.  Give back and all that.  Love you guys!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
I admire your strength and determination Betty.  We really don't have much choice but to struggle and move on.  Sending you huge holidays hugs.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2014, 10:10:08 AM »
Betty,

I think getting a second opinion is a very smart idea at this point.  Getting a rod inserted in your leg may be the right answer, but it can really improve your confidence and outlook to hear it from a second physician.  Your current physician should take no offense at this.  I'm sending you lots of healing thoughts and prayers.  In the meantime, I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Love and Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
Thanks guys.  I don't know about strength, it's just like you said Greg, what other choice do we have?  I don't like to have a miserable attitude and make everyone around me miserable.  Don't be mistaken, I do have bitch sessions with my housemate.  But I don't like to be constant doom and gloom. 

Today I have the house to myself.  The housemate's son is gone to his girlfriend's and won't be back until tomorrow night, and my housemate is working.  I've changed my sheets, dusted my room, and am doing some laundry.  Starting tomorrow, other than Friday, there are a few holiday gatherings, so I wanted to be done with the cleaning stuff prior to that. 

I sincerely hope everyone has an excellent holiday.  Can you all believe that next week it will be a new year?  I'm hoping the upcoming year will be a better one.  This one sucked, starting with the broken hip.  So, let's all keep our fingers crossed for a super year for all of us!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »
Betty

I did have an excellent Holliday unfortunately two days after returning knees gave out sprained ankle and very very sore knees. Meant re using walker that was doing duty as towel rail. That lasted three days , stick now

I think it happened coz after all the activity off the holiday , walking , they where exhausted . Beginning to wonder if my wreck off a body will much improve , how are you doing ?

After this I am takin first walk outside for six days.

With love
M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »
Michael, so good to hear from you.  I'm sorry you hurt your knees and ankle. I believe I have another break on the outside of the same leg my other breaks are on. 

I go see my ortho doctor today and will be discussing the rod placement.  I hope it will be the right fit.   Keeping fingers crossed.

Betty

Offline Theyer

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2015, 07:48:08 AM »
Good luck with the Dr visit Betty, I walked for 20mins last night okish though can feel the metal joining rod in right foot with each step. No longer painful but much prefer not feeling it so  distinctly .

I will check this site often to hear your news and decision ,I am not clear if this is the second opinion Dr visit ?
Are you driving? I know how you hate to be deprived off the freedom it gives you , though some off your driving descriptions scare me blue.
For the first time in years I am a wanting a Car , will have to take some catch up lessons as I have not driven in 10 years at least.
Hugs
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
Hi Michael, no, I can't drive yet unfortunately.  My car won't even start now because of my failure to keep starting it when it started to get frigid.  Even if it did start, I still couldn't drive it.  I can't walk without the walker and I would have to put that in the back seat. My bones in my leg are healing curved, and I think the smaller bone (fibula) may be broken again.  It feels like I have arrows going into my leg every step, every time I lift up my leg, or set it down.

This appointment isn't the second opinion.  I believe my doctor is right about me needing the rod.  I will be talking to him about the surgery and talking to the nurse practitioner about starting a med for the osteoporosis crap.

I will definitely keep this updated.  I appreciate everyone's concern.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
Hi everyone.  I can't believe it's been a week since the rod was put in my leg.  I'm in a physical rehab at the moment, but don't plan on being here past Friday.  This Friday.  I don't think they agree with that but I really don't care lol. Wouldn't be the first time I left a facility AMA. 

Been doing therapy every day. Well, except last Friday.  My blood pressure dropped pretty low, I'm talking 65/35.  Yes, that's correct. It was the result of a medication error-I was given too large a dose of my heart med.  Other than that, therapy every day.  Which is fine.

If I knew how to post pics here, I would share pics of my incisions.  They look really good and have stopped draining.  Next Monday, those are coming out.  I want to thank everyone for continued support.  It means a lot.

Betty

Offline wolfter

« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2015, 11:12:49 PM »
I left AMA when I had the plates and screws were installed and the ligament repaired in my lower leg.  They wanted me to stay several days after the surgery and I refused, staying 1 day only.  I saw no need when I could enjoy my recovery in my own bed.

I certainly hope this gets you some mobility.
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:16 AM »
Thanks Greg. I knew there was another rebel among us.

Online bubba53

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »
Hi Betty,
Are you weight bearing ?
If not , you best do what they tell you !
As a dear friend always says Befuckinghave !!
 Wade
"Who put the pepper in the....Vaseline  ? " Coffee Butler

Offline Theyer

« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »
Glad to read you are the other side off the operation Betty. Why do they wish you to stay on longer than you wish ? Will home be set up for your return ? Does the rehab includ an assessment off your home ? Sorry for being a worry wart , but your leg must heal and not have more set backs . Have you seen the Doc who did the op, what's there view. OK you can stand down from the Dock now and recieive a great big hug.
M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
I have been weight bearing as tolerated since the day of the surgery.  Michael, this place does offer home assessments, but I passed on it.  I use a walker here, which is what I had been using at home, so no difference there.

Today in therapy I did the staircase, up and down.  I'm pretty instinctual of what I can and cannot handle physical wise.  And I pay attention to my instincts.  I've had too many negative consequences of not paying attention, and there's no way I want to continue that.

I believe physical therapy has taken me seriously regarding my wanting to go home Friday.  There's not much they can do about it really.  It is a very pleasant facility, I just hate not being home.  I'm sure everyone can understand that.

As far as what the surgeon thinks, he's on vacation.  But he is not the one who had me come here. He was going to send me home the day after surgery but I insisted on getting very short term physical rehab. Just to get stronger and to make sure nothing else happens. 

Thanks again guys.  I will keep all updated.

Online bubba53

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2015, 11:40:45 AM »
Hey Betty ,
That's Great ! Being weight bearing makes all the difference ,
you will be getting around in no time ! Your strong and know your limits.
I went home after both knee replacements.
was VERY careful of infection.

Good For You ! Wade
"Who put the pepper in the....Vaseline  ? " Coffee Butler

Offline Theyer

« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
Michael,s happy & thanks you dear for the reply.
I Am also a believer in listening to my instincts, Betty  too often 
I have gone against them to my cost , so I try not to be deaf now. So just Thursday to go & then home oh warrior. Heart.
With love
Michael.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2015, 09:35:27 PM »
Got my stitches out today, didn't hurt a bit.  I only had like 15. The nurse practitioner said the fibula is just starting to heal a little (had to re-break during surgery).  The rod looks good, I don't have any gut-wrenching pain, so I only take like 1 pain pill a day. The rest of the time I take Ibuprofen or Tylenol. 

I go back to see the doctor in 3 weeks.  I was told today another 6-8 weeks before possibly going back to work.  I attempted calling HR at my "manual" job, but no answer. I left a message, and the doctor office is supposed to send paperwork.  Hopefully they will hold my job, dunno.  If not, I guess I can apply again. 

That's it for now.  Will update more if/when anything happens. 

Betty

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
Hey Betty, just saying HI, I'm thinking about you.  I am so glad to hear you're not having severe pain.  That's a real blessing.  You're in my prayers honey....

LOVE, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline wolfter

« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2015, 01:12:45 PM »
Whoot!  You're finally mending.  At least your laid up during the miserable midwest winter season.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  In my last post, I should have said "staples," not "stitches."  Anyway....I called the manual job and they told me they cannot hold my job past this Friday.  The lady did say I would be eligible for re-hire in the future, and she would put my name on their paperwork for this.  Of course that doesn't mean I would get the same house again, I could get one where there is a lot of heavy lifting etc.   That would not fly. 

I did drive today, just went through a drive-thru to get a smoothie.  I put the walker right outside my car door, so when I got home I could use it again.  I can't walk without the walker yet.

The physical therapist did come over this afternoon.  She had me walk with my cane for just a couple times around the kitchen.  I still cannot use the cane exclusively, but will be happy when I can.  I have exercises I'm doing daily, plus I started riding my recumbent bike for 20 minutes a day.  Hopefully this will push me towards quitting smoking again, though that's not high on my list.

Greg, yes, luckily this time of year is a good one to have to be in and not so active.  Actually the worst snowfall we've had this winter has been over Thanksgiving.  I mean it has snowed, but nothing huge.  Only a couple inches here and there.  The next couple of days they're calling for highs in the upper 30's.  But, winter is supposed to hit again next week, with high's in the 20's and accumulating snow.  Well, it's only coming up on February and we've had snow late into April/early May before. Not that I want that to happen again lol.

I do appreciate the support from everyone, it really does help spirit wise. I feel a bit isolated other than seeing my roommate, her son and a few friends of mine and theirs who have been by.  Other than the weekend, when my roommate has been good enough to take me out.  One day at a time comes in handy right now....

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Hey Betty,

Glad you are on the mend. Be careful if you have to go out in this iffy weather.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Theyer

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:53 AM »
Betty I am heartened that you are home and able to do exercise drive poll dance..At. The moment I am house bound doing interesting moves due to balance and blood pressure . It is isolating and dark and grey. Looking forward to Spring. Hugs mighty one

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2015, 05:59:31 AM »
So I found out a couple days ago that I now have a fractured right foot, the same side as all the recent fractures.  It's like I break something every coup weeks.  And I broke my foot the same way everything else happened to break-walking. 

Today I see the ortho and his nurse practitioner for a post-surgery followed up and to be started on the Forteo.  That's a daily injection which won't be much of a bother since I inject insulin every day.  It's supposed to build bone mass. Well, we'll see. Wish me luck.

Oh, by the way, I shoveled out the driveway yesterday to clear the snow we got night before last.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2015, 04:57:29 PM »

Oh, by the way, I shoveled out the driveway yesterday to clear the snow we got night before last.

Betty, Betty, Betty...

I really don't know what to say anymore. ::) What's next? The Boston Marathon? Sky diving? Tap dancing?

I agree with "bossy" Jeff. (another thread) lol.

Hunker down and get some healing going on SOON! Hope it is not causing too much pain in the meantime. :-*

Offline Theyer

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »
Betty I sorry to hear that yet another fracture has occured and I am hoping that the drug treatment will work and will be tolerated . Much love
M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
Betty I sorry to hear that yet another fracture has occured and I am hoping that the drug treatment will work and will be tolerated . Much love
M

Thanks Michael, I also hope the treatment works.  So far no debilitating side effects so I'm happy about that.  Good to see you!

Betty

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.