POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2015, 10:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 25552
  • Latest: peachy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 665781
  • Total Topics: 51207
  • Online Today: 203
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sputum culture results  (Read 781 times)

Offline monin73

Sputum culture results
« on: April 27, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »
Hi , happy spring !
I've had a long winter of missed diagnosis's , and several serious health issues .
Oh ..where do I begin . My current focus is results from a lung sputum culture showing a light Candida dubliniensis growth and a heavy growth of Staph Aureus .
Over the past two years I've had "Pneumonia" several times , thrush , advanced toe nail fungus , fungal eyelid infection . All treated seperately at the time , my viral load has been undetectable for quite awhile and T4's around 400 . I recently insisted to be put on a anti fungal for the Candida . What concerns me is the Staph infection and knowing from my body messages that I'm not getting better and coughing up sputum in the mornings .
Anyone have ideas , experiences to share . Besides physically there's no telling when at any given time during day that I can't move .
PS Bouts of severe night sweats have come and gone for over 8 months, seems to be a peculiar smell to the sweat .

Offline BT65

Re: Sputum culture results
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forums, in particular the long term survivors section. 

Maybe you could tell us a little about your background, particularly how long you've been diagnosed?  I apologize in advance if you were diagnosed prior to 1996.  We just tend to be protective of this section and being that your post was your very first one on the forums, I am curious about your history.  If you posted here by mistake, one of the mods can move it to the appropriate section.  Again, I apologize in advance if it does belong in this section.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline monin73

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
Tested + 1990 health center on 9th ave in NYC . Moved to Provincetown to feel safe ,supported and live out my Drs . prognosis of 2years max . Don't understand why my post was shifted to Just tested , what about my privacy

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
hi monin, i'm sure the moderators will place your post correctly... today is sort of a holiday in the united states (is mothers day an international holiday?) so they may be away from their computers... they're people with lives too :)

in your first post last week it's not clear that you are even HIV+, but you've now cleared that up, we always take people at their word

welcome to the boards! you have free access here, and can post in the "living with" if you'd like, but then us youngins get to respond as well, or you can remain stay over on the long term survivors board

either way, your privacy is not at risk by your first post being placed here justed tested poz. do keep in mind though this is a public searchable forum; anyone, member or not, can see what is posted here. how cautious you want to be with personally identifiable information is up to you, just giving a heads up.

edited to add... for some reason i thought you were irish, don't ask me why... damn dementia :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:19:53 AM by zach »
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Online Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »
Tested + 1990 health center on 9th ave in NYC . Moved to Provincetown to feel safe ,supported and live out my Drs . prognosis of 2years max . Don't understand why my post was shifted to Just tested , what about my privacy

I'm sorry I moved your thread to the wrong forum at first.  You are now where you belong.

Joe

Offline deibster

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
Hello Monin,
I've been off the forums all winter, I fell & broke my elbow and my partner had bad pneumonia. You don't say which clinic you go to.
I used to see Dr. Chris Rowley, from Beth Israel-Deaconess in Boston, at Outer Cape Health in PTown. If I didn't feel well, he always asked me about night sweats. If you are still having these problems, you should make an appointment to see him. He still comes to PT once a month, I believe.

The Staph infection & the fungus in your sputum are nothing to take lightly. Hoping you are already mending. Big Hugs, Deibster
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 02:38:13 AM »
When I have bouts of thick sputum (especially in the winter) I take this before going to bed :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine

In the past when I had persistent oral/throat thrush that couldn't be cleared with Fluconazole oralgel or lozenges, I was prescribed capsules (as I recall 200mg) to treat it systemic, which helped cleared the Candida infection. I suggest you to ask your doctor about this.  Good luck.

Offline monin73

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »
Thanks all , yes 25 years + .  All I wanted was a p,ace to dumbo , vent , share , support , suggestions from people like me . To be understood with all the various tangents involved is hard to find .
Thanks for responses
Saw Dr. Rowly yesterday , wants to hold back treating Staph as it returns in 40% of those treated . Need to mull that response over . Though everything I've researched states the same

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.