POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 06, 2015, 07:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 657727
  • Total Topics: 50375
  • Online Today: 236
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly pos dx but still have questions, test results not making sense  (Read 559 times)

Offline JayBush

I was tested pos back in Dec however my dr cannot explain my rare test results so I am hoping maybe someone here can offer advice?

My antibodies test came back reactive
My antigen p24 (which I am told is the Actual virus) was non reactive
RNA <20, <1.3 copies per ml
genotyping indeterminate (which dr said makes sense bc no antigen was found)
All of Cbc results were normal wbc/rbc/lymphs counts
Cd4 is 1810- yes that is correct, extremely high

At first my dr said he assumes I'm showing a false positive but then since they still can't figure it out he's now changed to I must have but my system is supressing extremely well which is almost unheard of.  He may even want me to go to special testing with a bigger university/hospital.

I haven't started treatment since I'm showing as undetected.

Has anyone else heard of such an odd thing?

Thanks for any help :)

Offline JayBush

Re: Newly pos dx but still have questions, test results not making sense
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
Just to clarify I have not started treatment per dr advice.  I've also spent over $1600 in testing to be getting nowhere, it's quite frustrating :(

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »
What country are you in?  Are you seeing an Infectious Disease (ID) doctor?  Has HIV been confirmed with Western Blot or anything else since your viral load is undetectable?  It doesn't sound like your Dr has given you a definitive HIV diagnosis yet.

Lack of p24 isn't a big deal, it is often undetectable after seroconversion, and if you really do have antibodies, that ship has sailed.  Sometimes p24 won't show up again until late in an untreated infection, such as those diagnosed at the AIDS stage via a hospitalization.

What's the plan for retesting VL or confirming HIV?

Offline JayBush

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:04:17 AM »
I'm in the US, yes seeing an infectious disease dr.  I've had a million different tests done and all come back the same that's why it's so confusing to them.  They Are all reactive to the antibody but not the antigen (actual virus).

Forgot to mention above that I would have had to contract at least 5+ years ago as my fiancÚ now tested negative and we have been with no one else and together 4 years. So it seems really odd to me to have non detected virus and such a night Cd4 if really had for so long?

Next apt is in a couple weeks to have counts checked again to see if any different.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 01:11:01 AM »
I think you just need to clarify with your Dr what tests they're running and get copies of the results.  As I said, no p24 is not a big deal, especially if it's not a new infection, so the fact that anyone is confused about that is strange.  p24 was absent on my last test.

Here's some data and a quote from that page:
http://mobile.aidsmap.com/p24-antigen/page/1322964/

Antibodies to p24 are produced during seroconversion, rendering p24 antigen undetectable after seroconversion in most cases. Therefore, p24 antigen assays are not reliable for diagnosing HIV infection after its very earliest stages.

I'll pop out of this thread now until your Dr tells you what's going on or categorizes you as as an elite controller or something.

Offline JayBush

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 01:55:43 AM »
I had the western blot confirmatory test done a couple times so thats where the pos result came from.
Thanks for the info on the other, since I'm so new I don't really know a whole lot.

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 02:27:03 AM »
Well, did the Western Blots confirm a positive diagnosis? If so, I'm very sorry to say, you are HIV positive. The roller coaster of up and down labs on any number that may follow can confound everyone, but doesn't change that fact.

Welcome to the boards. :-)

Sounds like your baseline CD4 level is high. You're probably young and physically fit? That is certainly a good place to start from. Bodes well for the future.

Things are going to be ok. Take it as it comes, and post anything you need in here.

An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.