Subscribe to:
POZ magazine
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Posts: 632218
  • Total Topics: 47872
  • Online Today: 237
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online


Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

  • Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

  • We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

  • Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV RNA test  (Read 401 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kevin12

  • member
  • member
  • Posts: 2
HIV RNA test
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Hey everyone. About 18 days ago, I performed fellatio on a guy twice. We did not use a condom but he did not ejaculate into my mouth either time. To my knowledge, there was no pre-ejaculate either. He did, however, make me deep throat him quite a bit and was kind of forceful (I donít know if this increases the risk of transmission???). Before this, I asked him multiple times if he was disease free. He said that he tested negative for everything two or three weeks prior. Although he said he did have sex since then, he insisted that it was only with people that he knew and trusted to be negative. After we had oral sex I immediately became paranoid that I got HIV. I kept pestering him by asking him a ton of questions about how sure he was that is disease free. He never really answered my question but kept insisting that he is 100% he is disease free. At one point, he did say yes when I asked if he waited 3 months after having sex to get tested for HIV. Of course Iím a little skeptical.

Anyway, Iíve done a ton of research since then and know that the risk of getting HIV from oral sex is low, especially without ejaculation. But, I was so paranoid and anxiety stricken that I went to my universityís health center and asked to get an HIV RNA test. I just couldnít handle waiting for more than two months to know if Iím negative. Iíve read that the HIV RNA test has a high rate of false positives, sometimes up to 10%. Now that I am waiting for my results and I have had a little more time to calm down and accept that my risk was low, I am extremely worried that I will get a false positive. If the test comes back positive, I know that I wonít be able to convince myself that it is a false positive because Iíll be so scared that I really am positive. If it comes back positive, would it be a bad idea to get another HIV RNA test in a few weeks? I just donít think I can handle waiting until June to get the antibody test after getting a positive test result. Even though thereís up to a 10% chance that my HIV RNA test will yield a false positive, that still means that thereís a greater chance (90%) that I wonít get a false positive, assuming I really am HIV-, right?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Online Jeff G

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 10,812
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: HIV RNA test
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:20:25 PM »
HIV is transmitted sexually from unprotected anal and vaginal sex . You  did not have a risk giving a BJ and do not need to test over this specific incident so its a shame you wasted money on a test you do not need .

If you had a risk ( you did not ) you would still have to confirm the RNA test at 3 months so what I'm getting at is there are no shortcuts to HIV testing .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you did not have a risk and do not need to test for this specific incident , anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Offline kevin12

  • member
  • member
  • Posts: 2
Re: HIV RNA test
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
So is it likely that my HIV RNA test will come back negative considering my low risk, even though HIV RNA tests have a high rate of false positives?

Online Jeff G

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 10,812
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: HIV RNA test
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
So is it likely that my HIV RNA test will come back negative considering my low risk, even though HIV RNA tests have a high rate of false positives?

You did not have a low risk you had no risk . If you are testing for peace of mind wait and do it at 6 weeks or 3 months . If you want to pay big bucks for a test that has to be confirmed at 3 months go ahead . There is no shortcut to HIV testing .


Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.