Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

help with HASA NYC

(1/4) > >>

leopoz93:
Now im 20 years and newly diagnosed with HIV...now i know whith HASA you have to be AIDS diagnosed with a t cell count below 200.

But i also know that if you have had an opportunistic infection like shingles(herpes zoster) you are eligible. And that all you will nees to do is get your doctor to fill out a M-11Q amd take it to the HASA office and they will put you on emergency benefits.

Im just asking cause i applied for a housing lottery months ago and my application got picked for a interview and i really need to pass this interview cause right now im somewhat homeless

Miss Philicia:
When did shingles become an opportunistic infection for HIV?

Regardless, when I utilized HASA briefly you had to fully document <200 cd4 count and I had to dig back a decade to prove this, and since the document pre-dated the computerized era I was lucky that I'd kept copies of my first year's lab works in a file.

If I were you I would go through the GMHC Client Advocacy Unit before applying to HASA directly just so you have the latest information.

leopoz93:
Shingles(herpes zoser) is a opportunistic infection

When i get in touch with GMHC what wil they specifically do?

Ann:

--- Quote from: leopoz93 on March 15, 2014, 09:29:51 AM ---Shingles(herpes zoser) is a opportunistic infection

--- End quote ---

Not really, not when you're talking about OIs that are considered to be "aids-defining" and are used to qualify for assistance programs.

ANYONE can get shingles, provided they've had chicken pox at some prior point in their life. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, an "aids-defining" type of OI.

OIs that are considered "aids-defining" are ones like AIDS Dementia Complex (ADC), Pneumocystis Pneumonia (PCP), Mycobacterium Avium Complex (MAC), Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (PML), and Cytomegalovirus (CMV), to name a few.

If you approach an ASO and try to claim shingles as an OI that would grant you extra assistance, they'd probably laugh you out of the room. Not that I'm laughing, I'm just trying to point out that shingles just doesn't cut it, not by a huge margin.

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: leopoz93 on March 15, 2014, 09:29:51 AM ---
When i get in touch with GMHC what wil they specifically do?

--- End quote ---

They will evaluate you with a case manager and see what kind of assistance, like HASA, you might qualify for.

Just a note -- having an HIV diagnosis doesn't mean you qualify for anything. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version