POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 07:21:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23525
  • Latest: Dman
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639840
  • Total Topics: 48573
  • Online Today: 204
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 179
Total: 182

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sex-drive like a broken down car!  (Read 2963 times)

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
Sex-drive like a broken down car!
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:51:01 PM »
Ok I'm thinking now that something is up.  I've been on meds for about 8 months and the current regimen of Truvada-Norvir-Reyataz for about 4 months.  I'm 42 and would think my sex-drive would slow down at some point, but mine seems a lot slower than normal and I just have a serious lack of interest, as best I can describe it.  I'm due to get blood drawn here in the next couple of weeks and am considering asking my doc if I can have my testosterone level checked as well.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Think it's the meds??? 

Thanks!
;0

Offline Eldon

Re: Sex-drive like a broken down car!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:04:24 AM »
Hey Stevevaboy,

Just like the car breaks down, they DO have mechanics to fix it. Just as so with your sex drive which can be checked out by your Doctor so that some sort of recommendation can be given to you.

In many cases, if you are taking any sort of "anti-depressant", those are the drugs that effect your sex drive.

If, you are not taking "anti-depressants" then it may be some sort of mental barrier that is declining your interest. You may want to take a closer look to see if that is the case or not.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:25:44 AM »
Thanks Eldon, I'm not taking any anti-depressants and don't want to take any more of those bastards.  I'll start with a full check-up.

Steve
;0

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:25:02 AM »
Well first you have to make sure that you are turned on by the thought of stripping down for your doctor.  If this thought hasn't changed things around in your mind, you are right to have him check your testosterone level which can drop with hiv positive patients.  Borrowing from a thread elsewhere in this area, without worrying about going to a therapist, can you breakdown exactly what you mean?  Are you in a sexual rut, the same faces, the same acts, the same same?  Does it have anything to do with your being positive and others being, perhaps, negative, and you feeling that you have to control and stop things lest you infect them?  See, in other words, if you can sort out whether being positive is connected to this or not.  And take a look around for something sexual which you haven't tried before- as long as it is safe- as another way of starting up the engine.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline simon695

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:42:20 AM »
[Hi,
   My Experience of this is that its more a mental
thing than the drugs,i seem to go from one
extreme to another,sometimes lasting 3 months
of no interest (Or ability) followed by a shorter
period of being obsessed.
  Thats Not Very Scientific But Maybe To Know
your not alone helps.
             Take care
                Si

Offline DanKenny

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 04:00:12 PM »
In addition to all others have posted, take into consideration your age also.  Things start to go a bit "downhill"  -- no pun intended -- after 40, as opposed to early 20-30s.

But then being + may also have something to do with it.  Ask your doctor to check your testosterone levels, and other hormonal tests.  if they are normal, then it may be psycho-behaviorla (related to your mind, partne, etc).    How does your partner (if you have one) feel about your lagged interest. Their reaction also is critical.

Good luck - Danny
My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 06:29:11 PM »
Good topic, but not much I can contribute since I am a female, but interestingly enough, I have the same problem. I have not had sex in about a year. I think there are many reasons, first being that there hasn't been anyone who has piqued my interest. The good men in my town are pretty much taken. What's left are the druggies (meaning crackheads) or the drug dealers, who thinks because they have a knot of money, that I'm suppose to be interested. And if there is someone who may be interesting, they live thousands of miles away.

It also seems that since I have hit my 30's, I haven't had that much of a sex drive, but then I wonder if it's because I am diabetic. I have seen the commercials were it says it causes men to have E.D., so I would assume that the same thing happens in women. When I do catch an urge, it is "BOB" to the rescue.... ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

The Royal Blog

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 07:00:59 PM »
I was having lack of energy and lack of sex drive. It turned out I had low testosterone. I now take a shot twice a month.

Bingo

Good Luck!
Positive since 1985

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses... I'll post again as a follow-up.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Steve
;0

Offline geostud

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »
I'm glad you're having your testosterone checked.  That's what does it to me.  They'll most likely offer you a choice between bi-weely injections (you can give yourself, depending upon your doctor), a jell or a patch.  The patch made me break out so that was out.  I found the jell to be messy and stained my clothes, neither did it give me the 'boost' the injection did.  I'd go with the injection option, assuming they offer it to you.  Good luck!

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 10:31:45 AM »
I have a question to Geostud and anyone else who's used "testosterone enhancement" procedures... what noticeable effects did you have once you started either taking test. shots, patches or whatever???  I'm very curious about this.

Thanks!!  Steve
;0

Offline lloydp

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 11:07:02 AM »
I totally lost my sex drive a few months after going on meds. I'm a 48 year old male. Before starting meds I had a healthy drive but now I'm lucky when things work and hopefully when they do I have some drive to do something with it :). My bio available testosterone levels have been within the normal range when tested, my free testosterone has been a little on the high side.

I does seem to phaze in and out (mostly out).

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 02:35:42 PM »
steve, my name is scott & my wifes name is cindy. i am soon to be doing a column in poz magazine after the first of the year, and this will be one of my topics. for the record, my wife and i started on meds (me-viracept, combovir)and my wife (viracept,d4t, 3tc) back in 1996. we were extremely active in the bedroom up to that point. spontinaity was great, rolling over in the middle of the night attacking one another.
after about 4 to 6 months of being on the meds we both noticed our sex drive was seeming to vanish. no more spontinaity, no more middle of the night attacks. and the longer we were on them, the less we had sex.
it is now non-existent in our marriage and i miss it tremendously. my wife has had to have laser surgery to cervix which i'm sure has also caused her to lose interest, but you are not alone in your thoughts. i would definitely have that conversation with your hiv doc. my opinion.
scott

Offline Lakis

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi, I have the same problem...I'm white male,47 yo, and suddenly I lost interest in sex-very low libido and problems with erection-till that moment I was always HORNY as hell...I checked my hormones(testosterone)etc. and everything look fine.It look I got bad side effects after using Protease Inhibitors for some times...that's my docs opinion + possible mental "blockade"

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 06:51:42 PM »
For the men out there, especially the gay men, if there is a difference or at least speaking as a gay man, track your sex drive with the full moon.  You should be at a sexual low point for the month just after each full moon.  You should find yourself at a sexual high in the week leading up to each full moon.  This is professional tracking offered from someone who was in the field, shall we say, watching client patterns, regular and new clients.  If you don't see any difference at all in sexual interest, putting erections and such aside for the moment, then something or somethings are interfering with your normal sexual cycle.  It could be testosterone.  It could be medication side effects.  It could be mental or a combination thereof.  While results may decline as we age, the cycle of interest does not unless interfered with.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.