Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Woman-to-woman HIV transmission likely in Texas case

<< < (2/6) > >>

Dan0:
Maybe it's just me.....but I have to question some of the validity. I'm not questioning the event but perhaps there is more to the story (or less).  If the reporter in question is going to use the word "clean" in this writing then I just wonder how much due diligence was put into the rest of the story.  Surely, there is some proof-reader that would have seen that IF there was any substantive check of the article.  Perhaps it was just a benign inclusion and a simple reference - but anyone even remotely concerned with their writing and journalism cred would have spotted that if not for the connotation but that it's simply BAD WRITING.

Ann:

--- Quote from: Dan0 on March 14, 2014, 01:10:50 PM ---that it's simply BAD WRITING.

--- End quote ---

Or a case of BAD TRUTH TELLING on the part of one of the women. I remember a WSW case that was always bandied about years ago - until it finally came out that the woman had been lying about not having sex with men. She'd been shagging some guy on the sly and didn't want her girlfriend to know.

This ONE CASE in over 30 years of hiv does nothing to change my mind about anything I know or teach to others about hiv transmission. I'd go into more detail (and might/probably will later), but I'm absolutely knackered right now and my hip is killing me (I feel for you Betty, I know what I'm feeling isn't a patch on what you've been going through, but damn...) and I'm in no mood right now to rebut this one-in-a-trillion case study.

tednlou2:
The link above no longer works-- for me at least.  I read it last night, but now it wants a sign in.  So, here's another link:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/54672704/#.UyNQW8u9KSM

AusShep:

--- Quote from: Dan0 on March 14, 2014, 01:10:50 PM ---Maybe it's just me.....but I have to question some of the validity. I'm not questioning the event but perhaps there is more to the story ...

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Ann on March 14, 2014, 02:32:39 PM ---... and I'm in no mood right now to rebut this one-in-a-trillion case study.

--- End quote ---

I dont understand the need or desire to refute this.  Rare transmissions are sure to happen, I think the CDC article has 3 others.  Why try to explain it away vs. leaving it as exceedingly rare?  I'm certainly not advocating changing the Am I Infected? responses, I don't know how you all put up with it to be honest.

I'd just leave it with the wrap up at the bottom of the CDC report.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6310a1.htm?s_cid=mm6310a1_w

What is already known on this topic?
Cases of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection transmitted by sexual contact between women who have sex with women are rare and difficult to ascertain. Other, more common, modes of transmission, such as injection drug use and heterosexual sex, usually are difficult to rule out. However, female-to-female transmission is possible because HIV can be found in vaginal fluid and menstrual blood.

skeebo1969:

She's probably been knocking back too many Pussy Beers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version