Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Woman-to-woman HIV transmission likely in Texas case

<< < (6/6)

RapidRod:

--- Quote from: J.R.E. on March 15, 2014, 09:14:19 PM ---
Rod,

In the article from the Tampa Bay Times first sentence:  "The first confirmed case of lesbian transmission of HIV was reported by federal health officials, who said the event was exceedingly rare but nonetheless advised lesbian couples in which one partner is infected to take precautions."

Ray

--- End quote ---
The URL I quoted is from the CDC.

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: RapidRod on March 15, 2014, 09:17:24 PM --- The URL I quoted is from the CDC.

--- End quote ---

;) I got ya !!    The article from today's local paper, came from the New York Times Syndication,.

Ray

Ann:

--- Quote from: J.R.E. on March 15, 2014, 09:14:19 PM ---
Rod,

In the article from the Tampa Bay Times first sentence:  "The first confirmed case of lesbian transmission of HIV was reported by federal health officials, who said the event was exceedingly rare but nonetheless advised lesbian couples in which one partner is infected to take precautions."

Ray

--- End quote ---

ROFLMFAO Yeah, and how many times have newspapers and other news outlets claimed that hiv was cured? Tickle me pink! ;D

Giancarlo:

--- Quote from: RapidRod on March 15, 2014, 09:05:06 PM --- No where did the article say confirmed, it says likely. Not the same thing as confirmed.
--- End quote ---

It says likely because there is no way to "confirm" it.
There is never any way to confirm any kind of HIV transmission.
By the way, I don't think there is any "documented case" of anal transmission of HIV: they don't put people in a room for weeks and check what kind of sexual intercourse they have.

If there are very few reported cases of woman-to-woman transmission, it can mean two things:
- either woman-to-woman transmission is possible but very rare, i.e. the per act probability of transmission is very low
- or it is impossible (per act probability=0) and the few reported cases are mistakes

Stating "if woman-to-woman transmission was possible, there would be many more cases" doesn't make any sense.

zach:
i have read an article, which i will track down if anyone calls for the reference, that said their strains were 90 some odd % genetically identical. the only other scenario i could see, they had a man in their bedroom, either together or individually with the same man. i used to be into that sort of thing, it happens.

talking about hiv transmission gets dirty nasty. its hard for the media to do, they treat it with kid gloves. and try to sanitize something that just isn't roses and fluffy kitties.

the longer i live with this, they more i think we get it from a man, he puts it deep in our ass. thats the statistical reality, anything else is an outlier anomaly. anyone trying too hard to argue that outlier, is battling their own self acceptance.

and i'm gonna steal a line from st hillary, "what does it matter now?" other than as research data, has it mattered to anyone of us, who or how we exposed ourselves to? i have absolutely no way of knowing who, when, where (maybe where, that bathhouse i really liked) or the big why WHY... me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version