POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 05:10:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24072
  • Latest: Esfesf
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647681
  • Total Topics: 49359
  • Online Today: 157
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 120
Total: 122

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Herpes and HIV  (Read 1406 times)

Offline betterdaysahead22

Herpes and HIV
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »
Sorry to post all the gross and depressing stuff, but I'm kind of worried I have herpes as well as HIV. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I feel incredibly upset and kind of want to just give up. I haven't been to a doctor yet to confirm it, but if my worst fears are confirmed - how can i possibly lead a normal life like this? I'm already in a fair amount of physical pain but the emotional pain would be even worse. I just want to hide away from the world for the rest of my life.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Herpes and HIV
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »
First, go to the doctor and get a diagnosis for the condition.  Worrying without a diagnosis, and/or self-diagnosis, not good practices.
Second, you managed to control an HIV infection to undetectable viral levels.  If you have Herpes, that can also be controlled with medication.

Some potential sex partners will define me by my various diseases but its important that I feel my life is normal enough. Because whats "normal"?  Its a concept not anything real.   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline cicero

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:41:56 PM »
Hi betterdays,

It's tough to be in this boat and feel "tainted".

I wish I had magic words to make you feel better other than it gets easier, but it really does.

I do know well the feelings you're having.

But don't give up. You can potentially never have a herpes outbreak again, if you do in fact have herpes (there are a several non-STI conditions by the way that may appear herpes-ish that aren't).  There are tons of people who are HSV exposed but don't know, much like HIV.

At any rate it's tough to think about facing rejection and not living a "normal" life. Being HIV positive, HSV positive, or anything like that indeed sucks. But you will be surprised at how many people out there are open minded.  And also, remember, you're not the only one with these conditions.  For everyone who has an STI, they got it from somebody!

This is my attempt at being comforting.  Take it easy on yourself.  Spend a few days resting and not dwelling on it and you will see you've still got a lot of fun an happiness ahead of you in life.
"How could this happen to lovely me?" -Jacqueline Susann

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »
Hi.

I found out that I have genital herpes after I tested positive. (Fortunately for me, it doesn't occur *on* my genitals, but in that area.) I can't say that I was surprised to find this out.

Nevertheless, it's a totally manageable condition. You can take a daily pill to prevent outbreaks/transmission. I don't take the pill, myself, as I rarely have sex (due to choice, not inability), though I have some on hand.

Really, betterdays, herpes is the very least of my health concerns, and I never think about it. It has about 0.00001% effect on the quality of my life.

The CDC has a very straightforward take on the subject. Give it a read. Knowledge is power. I dare say that over time the issue will fade for you, as it has for me. http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes.htm

Cal

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
Can be transmitted regardless of being on meds (valtrex?) Virus lives in your spine, suppression is very important to prevent spinal issues. Not just to prevent/treat outbreaks.

Offline BoiBoy

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:39 AM »
Hi betterdays,

It's tough to be in this boat and feel "tainted".

I wish I had magic words to make you feel better other than it gets easier, but it really does.

I do know well the feelings you're having.

But don't give up. You can potentially never have a herpes outbreak again, if you do in fact have herpes (there are a several non-STI conditions by the way that may appear herpes-ish that aren't).  There are tons of people who are HSV exposed but don't know, much like HIV.

At any rate it's tough to think about facing rejection and not living a "normal" life. Being HIV positive, HSV positive, or anything like that indeed sucks. But you will be surprised at how many people out there are open minded.  And also, remember, you're not the only one with these conditions.  For everyone who has an STI, they got it from somebody!

This is my attempt at being comforting.  Take it easy on yourself.  Spend a few days resting and not dwelling on it and you will see you've still got a lot of fun an happiness ahead of you in life.
You are beautiful.
I can tell from your response.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »
Can be transmitted regardless of being on meds (valtrex?) Virus lives in your spine, suppression is very important to prevent spinal issues. Not just to prevent/treat outbreaks.

Not unless it is right before an outbreak, or during an outbreak.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline emex27

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »
I'm already in a fair amount of physical pain but the emotional pain would be even worse. I just want to hide away from the world for the rest of my life.

Hello Betterdays,

When I was at my doctor and was diagnosed in May 2007 with HIV, I had an Herpes outbreak at the same time. I thought it was the end of the world and wanted to just lock myself in a Room, watch TV, sleep and simply wait out my days.... I can imagine how you feel.

I started meds in October 2008 and have been UD ever since.  I have Herpes outbreaks 4-6 times a year on my lower back and Lipo issues due to the 1st HAARTs that contained Stavudine which I took for 2 years. I look 8 months pregnant. I manage my outbreaks with Aciclovir (Valrex) for 5-7 days anytime I have an outbreak. I tried supplements which at one time delayed an outbreak for 6months but that is not a concrete proof. I plan to take a daily lower dose of Aciclovir for 6 months to prevent these irritating outbreaks.

I have traveled to Europe, South Africa, Dubai, China on business and holiday over the past 8 years and I also remarried two years ago.... My wife is negative...no problem.

Like your name....I'm looking forward to "better-days-ahead"

Be Cool! You are a winner...and there are better days ahead.
Psalm 27

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.