Quantcast
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 26, 2016, 04:39:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 698374
  • Total Topics: 55290
  • Online Today: 239
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Foreigners can get retirement visa by paying some money in Bangkok?  (Read 540 times)

Offline positivemind16

If I'm only 35 yrs, can I retire in Bangkok and get the residential visa?

How much? And how about the medical insurance ?

Offline shizukav2

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
Re: Foreigners can get retirement visa by paying some money in Bangkok?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:42:15 AM »
You mean retire at 35 ?? I highly doubt it. However by chance find a nice place to retire at 35 that has medical care, clear out your spare room as I will be joining you.

But on a serious note I thought that Thailand (At least i was reading)  civil servants  retirement age is increasing to 65 and average age is 55+ ish is also increasing for retirement as well.

You are 35 man, go live and enjoy it. Plenty of time to retire when your older, and when you do retire one day you can enjoy time at the pool and socializing with other "older" people named "Jeff"   

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/work/912924/civil-servants-to-retire-at-65

Jim
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 09:21:15 AM »
LOL...Yes Jeff is enjoying retirement by the pool ,
he is meeting lots of new friends and is enjoying life in Palm Springs.
God knows he deserves it after all the years running the Forums.

Now we have Jim tending the desk at the Hotel California ...!!!
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 10:24:35 AM »
If I'm only 35 yrs, can I retire in Bangkok and get the residential visa?

How much? And how about the medical insurance ?

When you turn 50; yes, you can. It is called a Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement/Long-Stay Visa. Issued one year at a time, and renewable. You are not allowed to work on this Visa. Technically, it is not a resident Visa
http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

More important than the cost (about $200) of the NI OA Visa, is proving that you have funds to be self sufficient. You have to show that you have money in the bank.

Financial Requirements are as follows:
  • Bank Account showing TH฿ 800,000
  • Monthly income of at least TH฿ 65,000
  • Combination (Bank Account + Income x 12 = TH฿ 800,000)
800,000.00TH฿   =  22,906.58 USD
1 USD = 34.9245 TH฿

Before you, or anyone else, asks whether or not HIV is a problem. No, it is not an issue.

Note: The reason for issuing the Ministerial Regulation is that at present, the situation concerning HIV/AIDS has changed immensely. Prevention of infected aliens or those who are HIV+ into or to reside in the Kingdom has no effect on the spread of this disease within the nation. Thus, HIV/AIDS should not be set as a disease for prohibiting aliens infected with such disease to travel into or to reside in the Kingdom as in accordance with the Articles 12 (4) and 44 (2) of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522. http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0127_no1.pdf

Now, all that said, I'm not sure if you've ever been to Thailand before. I would suggest visiting on a tourist Visa, or even just go as a Visa exempt entry. Learn how to do a border Visa run to extend your stay. There is an entire cottage travel industry that serves this need for the expat community. It is possible to live in Thailand long term without being on a "retirement" Visa.

I'm sure Terry will be along at some point to add some experience, he lives there.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 04:41:18 PM »
At 35 you cannot get a retirement visa.  If you have a college degree and wish to teach English, you can probably get a job that pays 30-40k baht a month.   The job will help you with the work permits and visas.   The 30-40k is enough to get an apartment, and live a reasonable lifestyle.

The retirement visa info posted above is accurate.

You will want a government job that offers social security insurance if you want insurance as all private insurances in Thailand exclude HIV cover specifically.   (Foreign expat policies probably have preexisting limitations.) The social security program does not have preexisting limitations.   It can also be purchased if you stop work at someting like $15 per month after you are covered by an employer for one year.  It covers some (but not all) medicines.

If that interests  you check out the info in the health forum of ajarn forum dot com.  and a sticky by Killing Me Softly 101 (author is a fan of the song) has all information about Teaching and being HIV positive.  The prices of some of the medications have come down since the post was created.   And those can now be checked at Adams Love thai red cross center.  ajarn is thai word for professor (Teacher).  ajarn forum is an expat teachers in Thailand board.

The other option long term is to be a student but then of course you actually have to study something.  BA, MA, sometimes--depending on the mood of the immigration office-- Martial Arts or Thai Language.  Each visa has different hoops you have to jump through. 

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Being HIV positive is not an issue.  Though due to social stigma, most keep it quiet.

You will have to self fund your HIV treatment ( unless you manage to get Social Security cover) but the drugs are much cheaper here in Thailand. 
Figure an nnrti regiment at around $20-100 per month and a PI regiment at around $200 monthly.   Other treatment options are expensive.  $500up per month.

Offline Johnny452

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »
I believe at 50 i think you can deposit like 20K in for a certain amount of years.  Im not sure if can get it back though if you decide you dont want to live there anymore?

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »
I believe at 50 i think you can deposit like 20K in for a certain amount of years.  Im not sure if can get it back though if you decide you dont want to live there anymore?

get it back?! nah man, you don't give up the money, it's always yours. you're just showing that you have the means to be self sufficient for a year. it's in your own account, you just have to show that you have the money deposited in it, you're expected to live off that money.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.