POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 12:17:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23346
  • Latest: izohar
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636648
  • Total Topics: 48321
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: One pill a day  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Since2005

One pill a day
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if some of you would like to share/ contribute to this discussion of taking one pill a day option.

I am thinking three meds 1) Complera , 2) Stribild 3) Aripla

Some of you, who are already on any of those for a bit can you please enlist Who is on what? what's working for you? why you have chosen a specific brand.
If/when I go on meds, I would rather consider 'one pill a day' options, unless if anyone are already on other pills and that's working great for them, then please share.

If anyone just started taking pill very recently can you also please share how's that working for you? I know meds may work differently to each one of us but, I just wanted to find out one's personal experiences on meds.

Thanks in advance
Since

Offline cicero

Re: One pill a day
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
Hi Since,

I was diagnosed in August 2013 and started Atripla right away. It's what my doctor prescribed and I didn't question it.  It has worked fine for me.  I am now undetectable, and the only side effect -- feeling knocked out after taking it -- has subsided after the first few doses. I take it at night, as recommended, and sleep through the night, feel relatively normal when I wake up in the morning.  I have read here that there are concerns about long-term use causing cognitive issues (a major concern I will discuss with my doctor next time) and there are concerns about the Sustiva ingredient causing depression and suicidal ideations which I have not experienced to date. Just my experience here and of course your mileage may vary. 

--Cicero
"How could this happen to lovely me?" -Jacqueline Susann

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »
If/when I go on meds, I would rather consider 'one pill a day' options,
don't forget that a genotype test (ie resistance testing), and/or phenotype test, will give you valued input about what meds will and won't work againt your HIV  ;)

as to your original request, I don't take 1 but 3 pills (reyataz/norvir/truvada) with my dinner every night and have had no issues. Although most first line regimes are now those once-a-day pills, don't rule out other regimes (with their own side effects AND advantages) which might do the trick. Most regimens are pretty reasonable these days (i don't think anyone takes 38 pills a day anymore like I did at some point in the late 90s), and the people who take a "handful" of pills now are people with other issues or perhaps a long history of various HIV meds and issues (who need some sort of high-powered "salvage therapy")
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »
Used  to take Atripla and now take Complera.

Atripla wasn't bad.   Most of the issues with it go away after awhile.   After a year or two on it I started to get more bothered by the lingering small side effects.

Complera  has been super easy.  No side effects at all.

Personally I chose Complera over Stribild (I was given a choice).   Didn't choose Stribild  because of the fourth med in it (cobisistat).   But that's just a personal preference.

Offline Since2005

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
don't forget that a genotype test (ie resistance testing), and/or phenotype test, will give you valued input about what meds will and won't work againt your HIV  ;)

Thanks Leatherman. I have done that testing about couple years ago and they have found no resistance issues. Though we did not talk about which pill to take, he had mentioned he would rather put me in one a day pill but we did not discuss in detail as we will be taking more lab works before I decided fully on which med depending on the result etc.

I do feel lucky and grateful for not having to go through with what some of you have gone through, I can only imagine... Thanks for sharing your stories.

Personally I chose Complera over Stribild (I was given a choice).   Didn't choose Stribild  because of the fourth med in it (cobisistat).   But that's just a personal preference.

Hey Buginme, if don't mind can you elaborate why was that a choice?

Ofcourse, I will be having these discussions with my doctor when time comes.
I have noticed lots of new people are switching from either Atripla/complera to Stribild.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:33:28 PM by Since2005 »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:19:52 PM »

Hey Buginme, if don't mind can you elaborate why was that a choice?

Ofcourse, I will be having these discussions with my doctor when time comes.
I have noticed lots of new people are switching from either Atripla/complera to Stribild.

So, I was on Atripla and doing pretty good but wanted to change because the dreams, while enjoyable, were starting to interfere with my sleep and I kind of felt like I was starting to lose my mind....ever...so....slowly.

So..my choices were Complera and Stribild.

The reason I didn't choose Stribild where:

1.  The Kidney issue.  Tenofovir (which is in both) can cause some kidney issues.  With Stribild this issues can be (for a small number of people) increased because of the Elvitegravir and Cobisistat.   That worried me. 

2.  The Cobisistat.  This is the booster medication used to boost the levels of Elvitegravir.   It's basically what Norvir does when people take PI's.  It boosts the amount of medication in your system.   Now norvir has a bad reputation for causing GI issues and it has a history from when it was used at higher doses.  So I was already hesitant about it. 

The other thing about boosting agents like norvir and Cobicistat that concerns me is, what if I take a different medication, will it boost that also?  I take other meds besides HIV meds and I don't want the Cobicistat to boost those also.   And, what if I'm out partying with some friends and end up doing some street drug (not that I ever do that, but what if) will the Cobicistat increase those levels too?  Could it cause more harm?  I didn't like that.

So I chose Complera. 

All things considered....Even though I made that decision a year ago...I think I would make the same decision today.   I'm happy with my choice.

If I had to change again to something else..I would do Tivicay/Truvada before Stribild.  Just my personal preference.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
I think Cobicistat and Norvir don't boost aspirin when you take them as part of a regimen. Don't you think you would have read warning labels about such things if that was the case?

Seriously, how do you come up with such things?
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »
I think Cobicistat and Norvir don't boost aspirin when you take them as part of a regimen. Don't you think you would have read warning labels about such things if that was the case?

Seriously, how do you come up with such things?

cobicistat may cause clinically significant alterations in serum levels of a variety of other drugs.....For example, cobicistat may increase levels of certain calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins), antiarrhythmics, sedative-hypnotics, erectile dysfunction agents, inhaled corticosteroids, and norgestimate

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 12:18:44 AM »

cobicistat may cause clinically significant alterations in serum levels of a variety of other drugs.....For example, cobicistat may increase levels of certain calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins), antiarrhythmics, sedative-hypnotics, erectile dysfunction agents, inhaled corticosteroids, and norgestimate

I was leaning toward Stribild.  I do take a beta-blocker.  I take 50mgs of Atenolol.  I think that's already a low dose?  With a blood pressure med, you'll know if you are getting too much.  You'll get dizzy from your bp being too low.  About all other meds, I guess it is known which meds may have interactions?

About the Truvada-- I had read more kidney injury was seen in the real world, than what was seen in trials.  And, seen in others that didn't fit the profile of those already susceptible.  But, I thought they were adjusting the dosage/formulation of tenovir??  What do you all think about tenovir and kidney injury?  I guess I should ask what do you know about recent data on tenovir? 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:09 AM »
I take a beta blocker also.   I'm sure your doctor would monitor or know of any interactions and make any adjustments if needed.  I made a personal choice that was right for me for my own reasons ( valid or not).

Regarding Truvada ( more specifically Tenofovir).  I don't like it.  I think the bone issues and kidneyissues are significant.  However,  I'm not crazy about the alternative either so it's the lesser of two evils. 

If taf  gets approved that may help with those problems. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 12:56:24 AM »

Regarding Truvada ( more specifically Tenofovir).  I don't like it.  I think the bone issues and kidneyissues are significant.  However,  I'm not crazy about the alternative either so it's the lesser of two evils. 

1) Viread is the component in Truvada that seems to cause these issues -- it is now 13 year since it was FDA approved

2) Atripla has been the most prescribed ART in the developed world for years and years and viread is part of that. As well Truvada is the most used NRTI for other regimens that are not one-pill-a-day. Hence I would describe viread as the most used ART in the history of all HIV medications.

3) If the issues you described were as significant as you think then it wouldn't be prescribed in those amounts for 13 years.

4) Yes, those issues happen, and they are significant for the patients that experience them but you are over-exagerating the potential greatly (just like you did with your "booster" theory, but hey why beat you when you're down).

5) Yes, it will be better long term when the pro-drug Tenofovir alafenamide is approved.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 02:24:07 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:43:27 AM by buginme2 »

Online eric48

• @HIVPharmaCure & tinyurl.com/HIVPharmaCure
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 05:20:52 AM »
Hi,

If I had to choose now that I have been through 3 pills (2 AM + 1 PM) then 3 AM then 2 AM, I'd say that once daily dosing is far more convienient for me

3 pills once daily, 2 pills once daily 1 pill once daily : honest... to make sure I take my pills in a timely maner they are in a pill box (scheduler), so what...

2  pills once daily V&K (or V&T) is very convinient: no timing / no food requirements

I take them when I wake up, which seems to happen once a day recently ;-)

Look at your option taking also into account all the possible interaction with medication that you currently take or may take as getting older

Hope this helps

Eric
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:23:13 AM by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD; CD4 > 1000; CD4/CD8 ~ 2.0   safety stock : 2 months

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »
To the OP's question-- I haven't started yet, but have been trying to decide between Complera and Stribild.

I had my regular appt today.  There was a new doc, who I got to see.  He said he liked Stribild better.  He said Complera can cause some of the CNS issues seen with Atripla.  He agreed with what I had read-- that not as bad as the Sustiva component in Atripla, but probably about half as bad, in regards to that issue.  He discussed depression and all that.  And, he said there was more resistance issues with Complera.  And, that you needed to take it with a fatty meal. 

I was already leaning toward Stribild.  I think this helped.  Having said that, I have no doubt many swear by Complera and are doing great.  I have a history with depression and anxiety, so the possibility of Complera exacerbating that is something I would like to avoid.  And, I would prefer to not have to eat a certain calorie and fatty meal.  There are days when I just cook myself a frozen meal of 400 calories, when my partner is not home.  I guess I don't want to be wondering whether that meal was enough.  Or, if I'm not feeling good that day and not feeling hungry, I suppose I don't want to worry that I must force myself to eat.  I'm sure some here may know whether that calorie/fatty meal requirement is an absolute must every time. 

Offline pittman

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
While this type of discussion can generate thoughtful consideration and encourage more engagement with our healthcare, anecdotal discussions add little direct value to such a decision.

Miss Philicia's point is right on the mark when explaining that the side effects are MUCH more rare than this discussion could otherwise lead one to suppose.  This type of discussion distorts the situation, as those participating tend to self select for those having problems. Those that are happy and not experiencing issues are less likely to be reading and participating in a discussion about problems with meds. 

One of the reasons we do clinical trials in a controlled process.

In the end, your own experience will far outweigh anything. Monitor for side effects, especially critical ones. Discuss any issues/side effects with your doctor, and adjust accordingly.

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
On Complera since July 2013. No side-effects. No problems with the time of the day/meal (I usually have a normal breakfast around 10am, but it can happen that I take it at 6AM because of work or around noon or 1PM if I don't wake up in time... for whatever reasons hehe) Also undetectable since this Fall and was again in December.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
While this type of discussion can generate thoughtful consideration and encourage more engagement with our healthcare, anecdotal discussions add little direct value to such a decision.

But that specifically what the op  had asked.   He didn't ask for the research he asked for our/my opinion.   Had he asked for research I  would not have answered the way I did.. Which again was my specific and own opinion.  I  could have said I chose Complera  because I like the name better than Stribild.   Who is Miss P  or anyone else to comment on that?  It's a bit trite.

To the OP's question-- I haven't started yet, but have been trying to decide between Complera and Stribild.

I had my regular appt today.  There was a new doc, who I got to see.  He said he liked Stribild better.  He said Complera can cause some of the CNS issues seen with Atripla.  He agreed with what I had read-- that not as bad as the Sustiva component in Atripla, but probably about half as bad, in regards to that issue.  He discussed depression and all that.  And, he said there was more resistance issues with Complera.  And, that you needed to take it with a fatty meal. 

I was already leaning toward Stribild.  I think this helped.  Having said that, I have no doubt many swear by Complera and are doing great.  I have a history with depression and anxiety, so the possibility of Complera exacerbating that is something I would like to avoid.  And, I would prefer to not have to eat a certain calorie and fatty meal.  There are days when I just cook myself a frozen meal of 400 calories, when my partner is not home.  I guess I don't want to be wondering whether that meal was enough.  Or, if I'm not feeling good that day and not feeling hungry, I suppose I don't want to worry that I must force myself to eat.  I'm sure some here may know whether that calorie/fatty meal requirement is an absolute must every time. 

The calorie requirement was the most difficult thing for me to get used to in taking this medication.  I  almost ditched it after a couple months because I found the requirement to be difficult.   Once I  was able to figure it a routine it got much easier but in the beginning it was tough.   If you were considering this med it is something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:12 PM »

Miss Philicia's point is right on the mark when explaining that the side effects are MUCH more rare than this discussion could otherwise lead one to suppose.  This type of discussion distorts the situation, as those participating tend to self select for those having problems. Those that are happy and not experiencing issues are less likely to be reading and participating in a discussion about problems with meds. 

Thanks for not considering my earlier statements trite.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:33:53 PM »
What is the latest info on kidney injury with tenovir?  As I said, I read more injury was seen in patients, than was seen in trials.  I need to find that article.  If I remember correctly, it was happening to more than just non-whites, diabetics, or otherwise already predisposed to kidney disease. 

And, once injury is seen, is it often something that can be reversed?  I know HIV, itself, can damage the kidneys and other organs.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.