HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Expert risk assessement needed

(1/2) > >>

a.morgan:
Hello, I am 32 professional straight male, I do not engage in any high risk behavior. I was in a monogamous relationship with a divorced woman who has 2 kids. I tested -ve for everything, so did she, however her hiv was pCR. we still were using protection but twice we didnt in July 2013. She got an antibody test based on my request in October which was negative (3 months past unprotected). we broke up after and there was no more encounters after that july unprotected.I then met someone on an online dating website in November, we had only a couple of protected vaginal using condom from start to finish in December. mutual masterbation and kissing (no oral), i remember having cuticle cut on my finger. I found out she was a liar with possible high risk behavior (drugs), we were still taking a month after that coz she lived in a different state, but then she disappeared after a month of that encounter and stopped contacting me. I got tested using oraquick 4 weeks after this last encounter and it was negative. Do I need any further HIV testing at this point or shall I move on?

Jeff G:
I read all your concerns carefully . The unprotected sex you had was 3 months prior to the negative HIV test so you are conclusively HIV negative . The other things you mentioned  like the oral sex and cut cuticle are not a risk .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you do not need HIV testing at this time for this incident , anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

a.morgan:
Thank you for your response. However, there was no oral involved. I mostly concerned because that last encounter 5 weeks ago which was with a possibly high risk person. She said she tested -ve for everything but I didnt see test results. The vaginal encounters were indeed protected from start to finish, but the fingering was unprotected with a cuticle cut so possibly vaginal fluid got in contact, I have also shaved pubic area before so vaginal fluid got on contact with pubic area which was irritated and possibly some unhealed cuts from the day before. I dont wanna sound like one of those paranoid guys but I am concerned coz she disappeared like that and the exposures I mentioned above.

Jeff G:
HIV is a fragile hard to transmit virus . It becomes instantly damaged and rendered unable to infect when exposed to conditions out side the confines its host body .

Fingering is not a risk for HIV for the reasons above and also because the vaginal secretions a woman makes when excited are not infectious for HIV . If present HIV resides deep in the vagina in a mucosa near the cervix . This is why fingering and razor stubble are not a risk for HIV .

Just use condoms correctly and consistently for anal and vaginal sex and you will avoid HIV . 

a.morgan:
Thanks a lot Jeff for the advise, so at this point I can move on with no further testing needed and I can rest assured that my results are conclusive for HIV?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version