Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

LTS as caregiver

<< < (4/4)

rondrond:
I see nothing wrong with caring for one you love. You are only doing what you feel is right and that is all that matters.

True, it does wear on you and they do keep saying that you should have some
'me time'.

For me the stress was alleviated through what they have here in Ft Worth called CBA (Community Based Alternative Living)

I discovered that just because I was gay and had a lot of similar anecdotes about men, that Katie, being a mother and a girl. there were times that we did not connect.

We discovered that Medicaid would pay CBA for visiting nurses/aides who would come to the house for 3-4 hours a day and bath her and change her and the most important thing of all....talked to her in a language I could not.....

This gave me time to do whatever I wanted and was really wonderful.

I have also buried three loves and I found that I shut down after each funeral to where on the third, Chuck, who developed dementia and nearly took me with him, that for his own safety and my sanity, he needed to go to a home that had the care he required.

I did feel guilty, but I also realized that I was not doing him any good as I had no experience in dementia at that time.

I made the decision and have come to terms with it.

Follow your instincts and you will survive intact.....sad, bittersweet, maybe...but, I read that you know that this isn't only about you.

I'm confidant that you will make the right choices.

Ronnie

livingmmy9lives:
It seems what is different nowadays (to me anyways) is that it used to be that people with hiv/aids who needed support was able to get it from the community and nowadays people seem too busy or have lack of interest to be involved at any level in one's life. Facebook has made it even worse. I feel for people who are going through serious problems related to long-term hiv disease that get little support. It's nice that we have this forum but nothing can replace live contact with other human beings that have empathy. Just a thought. Charlie.

Theyer:

--- Quote from: livingmmy9lives on February 02, 2014, 05:15:00 PM ---It seems what is different nowadays (to me anyways) is that it used to be that people with hiv/aids who needed support was able to get it from the community and nowadays people seem too busy or have lack of interest to be involved at any level in one's life. Facebook has made it even worse. I feel for people who are going through serious problems related to long-term hiv disease that get little support. It's nice that we have this forum but nothing can replace live contact with other human beings that have empathy. Just a thought. Charlie.

--- End quote ---

One that is shared by many who have lived with this since the 1980,s

However I am sensing something in the wind that is beginning to challenge this cruel head in the sand shown by some.They existed when Aids was oh so chic too its just the counter crew had more energy , so its time to reach out, and do what ever can be done . The Let.s Kick Ass is a great start look it up .

Hey Moxie your thread is wanting an update. That is if your thread is called Michael .

moxieinme:
Dear Michael and all,

Just a check in to keep you posted. I'm coping better with things than I was a few weeks ago for several reasons, including having some time pass and feeling less frantic, and my former partner took some time after coping with more medical issues in January to travel to Florida to visit friends and family giving me a break too. He returns today and will have to re-focus on the medical issues. I also have a chance to get away for a week at the end of the month so feel like I have breathing room.
I am committed to being present for this man as he copes with health challenges. We do have history and I care what happens to him and will help him navigate through the trials ahead. So yes, there is "in sickness and in health" but that should be true of any dear friendship. But I am also more aware of needing to take care of myself and my needs, and hopefully can hold to that as I move forward.
I thank everyone for your patience and words of support during a time when I really felt adrift. There will be more updates, no doubt.

Theyer:
Thanks for giving the up date Moxie. So there has been activity with your Friend off many years doing something independent off you , that must be good for both of you. I hope his visit was a success although it must off been differcult also given the news off his health developments.

At some point you said that you wanted to stick at it and work out a better solution for all this news seems to be showing that is whats happening .

It was good to read Moxie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version